Vent cover - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2012, 08:01 PM   #1

Name: Shelley
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Ontario
Vent cover

I have a 1977 Trillium and wanted to put an Air Max cover on it. The size that they stock is too big for my roof vent.
Does anyone know if you can purchase smaller ones? Thanks, Shelley
Shelley Brinacombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:48 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelley Brinacombe View Post
I have a 1977 Trillium and wanted to put an Air Max cover on it. The size that they stock is too big for my roof vent.
Does anyone know if you can purchase smaller ones? Thanks, Shelley
Do you have the original 9"X9" vent ? AFAIK they don't make that vent any more. Modern vents are 14"X14".
I had a 1977 Trillium and I installed a Fantastik Fan in the place of the stock 9"X9" by simply enlarging the hole.
Here is a picture....
Attached Thumbnails
trillium unfinished 020.jpg   trillium unfinished 042.jpg  

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:17 AM   #3

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Shelly,

A powered fan is a great mod. In Canada, it is a good substitute for air conditioning. They are available with temperature and rain sensing so that they shut off and close when the temperature falls to your ideal temp, or when it rains. I purchased the Fantastic fan.

Cutting a larger hole in your trailer may seem intimidating, but fibreglass is fairly easy to work with.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:48 AM   #4

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
Another vote for FantasticFan - best RV modification ever!
jack maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:23 AM   #5

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
If you are talking just the vent cover (And not adding a new fan etc) yes, you can put a larger cover over it. I just did this myself on my Leocraft,

The bathroom vent is only 9 inches and it isn't coming out of there without a lot of effort and major rebuilding.

I installed the large Maxx Air cover over it using the standard methods, however, there is not relly anything but fiberglass to bolt it down to. So, in addition to the butyl and Dicor and the screws into glass, I used Eternabond RoofSeal 2" x 4' Mini-Roll / White
not only as a sealant, but as a fastener to hold the vent down. I have used this stuff before, and believe me, that cover is going nowhere.

The bad part about doing this is.. it is staying put until major effort to get the sealant off is expended. I'll take the super sealant factor any day, however.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:49 PM   #6

Registry
Even if you don't have the budget or desire for a powered vent, they do make a standard sized non-powered crank open vent, which is inexpensive.
The point is that the the Maxxair cover is designed to be installed to the frame of the vent and not directly to the roof. Also the new ones are hinged to allow easy cleaning. If you can afford it , your best option(IMHO) is to install a Fantastik fan and a Maxxair cover.
The instructions which come with the fan are illustrated and easy to follow, if you run into difficulty, then contact me directly and I will help you with any troublesome detail.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:32 PM   #7

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
FYI, 9" vents are still easily available. Almost any RV parts store has them, or can order them for you.

Heng's Mini Roof Vent - 528120, Vents at Sportsman's Guide

I did not replace mine because of some odd construction in this older trailer, but when I have enough time and a weather window to do so, I probably will. I will still have the Maxx Air cover over it, however..
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:00 PM   #8
Commercial Member

Trailer: We have had all the brands at least once.
The 9x9 inch vent is available from Heng's, it does not come with a fan. Look at my website Fiberglasstraveltrailersrv.com.
Chuck
Deb & Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:01 PM   #9

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina D. View Post
FYI, 9" vents are still easily available. Almost any RV parts store has them, or can order them for you.

Heng's Mini Roof Vent - 528120, Vents at Sportsman's Guide

I did not replace mine because of some odd construction in this older trailer, but when I have enough time and a weather window to do so, I probably will. I will still have the Maxx Air cover over it, however..
Cool! I have spent a lot of time on small fiberglass trailers and I have never seen one like that.Of course I never spent any time searching for one!
The only ones I have seen have been those spring loaded aluminum ones and they were all from the 1970's, I always replaced them with a Fantastic fan during the refit in an effort to add value for resale.
It's nice to know there are still choices available.