Vent unit - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2013, 09:17 PM   #1

Name: Linda
Trailer: Burro 13'. 1982
Montana
Vent unit

Looks like I have to replace my tool vent unit. Got an estimate from my RV shop of $225 which includes the unit. PO only had the flip back lid.....no crank, no screen. Is this hard to do? I have questionable ool skills. Wise to tackle this or have it done professionally? What would be good sealant to use on screw heads on roof? Thanks!
Lfoxmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:27 PM   #2

Montana
My roof vent....not tool vent.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:03 PM   #3

Name: Randy
Trailer: 1980Trillium 1300
Ontario
225$ for a ...roof vent is a luxury to me. My old roof vent(alum.) looked ugly, leaks when it's heavy pour due to housing's corners(plastic) cracked up. Previous owner put heavy black sealant(kind of shingle seals) and the look was total mess. I took it out, cleaned all surface around, take down the vent, sand it, repaint it. Fixing corners` cracks with F.G resin When put it back with bigger rivets with a black butan bead b/t vent and trailer roof (when it's hot 29 Celcius degree). I even put extra aluminum mouldings on top of the edges before rivet it. The outcome looked a lot of better and thru the last few days with non-stop rain, I went inside and look up, no leak at all. I might be....lucky. Just look at my photos before and I will post new photos, soon because it's dark right now.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG552.jpg   IMG553.jpg  

IMG554.jpg   IMG555.jpg  

IMG557.jpg  
Thinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:53 PM   #4

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Crossing my fingers that your water leak is stopped, Randy. Those leaks can really be frustrating. But it sounds like you've taken all the right steps to get it all sealed up!
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:25 PM   #5

Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
Linda, mine needed replacing too. I ordered a Fantastic Fan (MaxxAir are good too). I pulled out the old vent and installed the new fan after reading a lot of threads on how to do it, on this forum. I spent a lot less than the quote you got and got a lot more than the vent alone provides. Its certainly the best mod I've done on my Scamp. It provides a lot more air circulation and comfort. You may want to consider it. If you decide to just stick with the vent (because the fan does take some wiring) that would be a breeze for you to install (forgive the pun).
Another Linda
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:47 PM   #6

Montana
My son in law just volunteered to put in the replacement roof vent.....lucky me!