Ventilation/avoiding Condensation - Question About - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2015, 08:43 AM   #1

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Ventilation/avoiding Condensation - Question About

Hi Everyone!

Camping now in absolute miserable nonstop rain and cold. Yay! I need to run furnace to stay warm. When doing so, should I keep the little window over the stove cracked open a tad, and leave fantastic vent open but not running? Trying to do the right thing to avoid condensate concern.

Much obliged!

Wendy

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 08:56 AM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
You didn't mention what furnace you have or how old it might be. In a newer Scamp the Atwood (or similar ) furnace is designed to run without an outside vent open. Other kinds of furnaces and/or aged ones might call for an outside vent being open, as a precaution, if not a requirement.

In any case, opening a vent will reduce inside condensation as well as relieve the "stuffiness" one gets from continually reheating the same air.

Keep in mind, if you are not connected to shore power, that the furnace can be a battery killer.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 08:56 AM   #3

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
It will help to keep a window or two and/or your vent open a little. When we camp here in the PNW in the fall, winter or spring, we often struggle with condensation in our trailer. Keep a microfiber cloth handy to wipe off the windows. Personally I think it just comes with the territory when you're camping in certain conditions. Where are you camping that it's rainy and cold at this time of the year? Send some of that our way!
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 09:22 AM   #4

Name: David
Trailer: Escape Trailers
Massachusetts
Consider a cover for your Fantastic Fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampyTime View Post
Hi Everyone!

Camping now in absolute miserable nonstop rain and cold. Yay! I need to run furnace to stay warm. When doing so, should I keep the little window over the stove cracked open a tad, and leave fantastic vent open but not running? Trying to do the right thing to avoid condensate concern.

Much obliged!

Wendy

Fantastic Fan and others offer covers that go over the fan and allow the fan to be run in the rain. These covers can be installed directly to the outer portion of the fan and require no drilling into the roof. One of my favorite mods to our Scamp. The Escape came with the cover. The aftermarket ones cost between $25 and $50.
Stretcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 09:33 AM   #5

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We always keep a window or vent cracked open, whether heat is on or not. I assume Wendy is camping in the Northeast, as it's rainy and cool here and the prediction is it will be for a couple days. We cut short a camping trip this weekend in Vermont so as to not have to pack up and travel in the rain
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 09:33 AM   #6

New York
Registry
I have a suburban furnace and the trailer is a 2012. I have the fantastic vent open and the little window over the stove cracked, so sounds like I'm doing the right thing. I can't wipe off the windows as there are screens and it's raining outside so don't wanna crack them all to do it.

I guess I figured if the fan vent was open I'd lose all the heat. Never quite sure what to do/how to do things right. Always learning!

Much thanks,
Wendy. PS. I do have a max air fan mate cover. Love it!

Old 06-28-2015, 09:35 AM   #7

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Sounds safe to me....

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 09:37 AM   #8

New York
Registry
Yes, I'm camping in Barker NY on Lake Ontario. So cold and constant rain. Ah well. Tomorrow is nice so I'll pack up at night and leave in the rain. Other question: can one actually hook hitch ball and trailer tongue together the night before to avoid rain, and still walk around and sleep in trailer or does that put too much weight on tongue and vehicle hitch?

Old 06-28-2015, 10:20 AM   #9

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Yes, you will be fine, we do this sometimes when just stopping for one night, leave everything hooked up except for the electric. You can always drop the tongue jack to level it a little if need be, just remember to raise before take off.
Old 06-28-2015, 11:08 AM   #10

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Sticky notes on steering wheel act as good reminders of such things, like raise tongue jack, latch cabinets, remove wheel chocks, or whatever other things you may forget that are out of the ordinary.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 11:21 AM   #11

New York
Registry
I have all kinds of organization things to attend to with the scamp. For one, I need to type up a list to check off and call upon it before camping. Second, I need to get some order with supplies. Plastic bins to hold stuff that " goes together" to form a kit if you will. When I camp, it's different most every time because I can't seem to remember where the heck I put things! That causes me some annoyance and stress.

So OK then. Tomorrow night I'm going to hook up to the van so I'm ready to go in am. My van to trailer hook up is perfectly level, so no need to worry about tongue jack adjustments. I bought a special 2" ball from Curt with a 1" rise on the shank which gave me a perfectly level setup on a 2" drop ball mount.

Thank you all ever so much for your time and kind help. Hey, it stopped raining!!! (For now anyway)😃

Old 06-29-2015, 09:11 PM   #12

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile CPAP/Venilation

When I was 225 lbs, I needed a CPAP. Since I lost 15 lbs, no longer needed. YMMV

We found early on here in the great Pacific North Wet that keeping the roof vent cracked as well as a window helps the condensation issue. Happy we have jalousie style windows!

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 09:33 PM   #13

Name: Linda
Trailer: Boler 17 ft
Ontario
Roger what does YMMV mean?
Linda Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 12:01 AM   #14

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda Stewart View Post

Your mileage may vary = your results/ideas may be different
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 07:52 AM   #15
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Topic split

Moderator's note: this topic moved into one on various lists and methods for organizing camping equipement. Rather than rename the thread to reflect the new topic, we have split it - as both topics are important discussions. Look for the rest of the original thread at Let's Get Organized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampyTime View Post
I have all kinds of organization things to attend to with the scamp. For one, I need to type up a list to check off and call upon it before camping. Second, I need to get some order with supplies. Plastic bins to hold stuff that " goes together" to form a kit if you will. When I camp, it's different most every time because I can't seem to remember where the heck I put things! That causes me some annoyance and stress.

So OK then. Tomorrow night I'm going to hook up to the van so I'm ready to go in am. My van to trailer hook up is perfectly level, so no need to worry about tongue jack adjustments. I bought a special 2" ball from Curt with a 1" rise on the shank which gave me a perfectly level setup on a 2" drop ball mount.

Thank you all ever so much for your time and kind help. Hey, it stopped raining!!! (For now anyway)��

Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 03:03 PM   #16

New York
Registry
Hi Mary,

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to change the topic. I was just talking and writing and bam! There it was.

I will endeavor to stay on course in future.

Regards,
Wendy

Old 06-30-2015, 04:23 PM   #17

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretcher View Post
Fantastic Fan and others offer covers that go over the fan and allow the fan to be run in the rain. These covers can be installed directly to the outer portion of the fan and require no drilling into the roof. One of my favorite mods to our Scamp. The Escape came with the cover. The aftermarket ones cost between $25 and $50.
Our Escape had a Maxx fan and we would not be without it. Works so well in hot weather.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 02:20 AM   #18

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile YMMV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda Stewart View Post
That is one of Donna D's favorite sayings. It means "Your Mileage May Vary." In other words you may get different results.

Oops. I see Borrego Dave answered already. :embarrased

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 06:23 AM   #19

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
We keep our roof vent cracked all the time except when towing. Mainly to reduce condensation, but also to reduce indoor polution (read odors). The tiny bit of extra propane consumption is well worth it. Plus we are camping afterall, who wants to be hermetically sealed up out in the wild breathing cooking and bodily waste products and missing the sounds of nature?

If you "camp" in a smoky, noisy, tv, generator filled campground its a different matter, but I don't consider that proper use of a fiberglass rv. But as others say YMMV.

Happy independence day,

John
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 06:29 AM   #20

New York
Registry
I keep fantastic fan lid cracked open a bit all the time also, except when towing. My last trip the weather was so cold, constant non stop rain, using furnace....the dampness in the trailer was hard to dissipate as conditions simply wouldn't allow.