ventilation in egg while not in use - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2013, 07:34 PM   #1

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
ventilation in egg while not in use

I've read some accounts of mold starting inside eggs when they're all closed up during the off season or between camping trips. Assuming you have sliding windows, how are most of you maintaining ventilation when the trailer sits unused? The windows I see on most Scamps and Casitas are sliders. so if I bought a used one that's probably what I would end up with. I certainly don't want to have a mess inside when I open it back up.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:38 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I sit the cushions up on a narrow end and put a Dri-Z air canister (inside a plastic tub) in the sink. I not only do this for winter storage, but after every camping trip to draw all the moisture out of the cushions and other fabrics.

Due to highwinds and rain blowing sideways I can't leave any windows open. The method I use has kept my Scamp mold free for more than 10 years.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:03 PM   #3

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
When I had the house built in 2001. I also had a 24X36 building built. At the time it cost me about 12,000. I also had a sewer dump installed at the driveway when I had the septic system put in. I'm so glad I did. I still use Damp-Rid after each trip in the Scamp; just like I've done on all my previous campers.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:21 PM   #4

Oklahoma
I see now that both of those products use calcium chloride. Interesting. Dri-Z website says it works down to about 50% humidity. So that must be enough to take care of the problem, eh? If it works in the Pacific NorthWet, it must work anywhere.

Does it really seem to also make a difference in keeping away musty smells like they say?

On my current trailer I have two top vents, both with Maxx covers that allow them to stay open 24/7. But I don't think most eggs come with 2 vents, so I was wondering. Now I know.
Old 08-03-2013, 06:59 AM   #5

Mike, in a years time I use 2-3 bags of crystals in the Dri-Z air canister (classic style). Total cost per year $2.97, since I get the bags on sale for 99 cents. Cheap, cheap, cheap and does the trick... for me. I do have to monitor the water level in the canister. During the winter I check it about once every 3 weeks or so. Gives me an opportunity to check things out too. I've never noticed a chemical smell or musty odor.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:05 AM   #6

Oklahoma
A simple, effective solution. Thanks!
Old 08-03-2013, 09:41 AM   #7

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Try This:
Tea Tree Power™
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 10:16 AM   #8

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Install a MaxxFan, you can leave it open and/or on 24/7/365
Old 08-03-2013, 10:36 AM   #9

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Should note that the liquid that accumulates in the Dri-Z-Air container is not water and is corrosive, so you don't want to spill it. It is really hard to clean up since it doesn't soak into a paper towel like water, it's more like a thin jelly.
I keep two containers in my 17' trailer and usually dump several cups of 'water' over the winter.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 11:17 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Should note that the liquid that accumulates in the Dri-Z-Air container is not water and is corrosive,
Yes it is! That's why I put the Dri-Z air container into a plastic tub and THAT into the sink. But for heavens sake, don't just set the Dri-Z air container down into the sink without something to catch the liquid if it overflows. You wouldn't want to PIT the sink, and it would.

Ounce of prevention....
Old 08-03-2013, 01:07 PM   #11

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Yes it is! That's why I put the Dri-Z air container into a plastic tub and THAT into the sink. But for heavens sake, don't just set the Dri-Z air container down into the sink without something to catch the liquid if it overflows. You wouldn't want to PIT the sink, and it would.

Ounce of prevention....
Sink PITting would be a pity, and the pits, and a PITA too.
Old 08-03-2013, 01:11 PM   #12

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Install a MaxxFan, you can leave it open and/or on 24/7/365
Well sure, but one needs both an intake and an exhaust to maintain air movement with a fan. Am I wrong in assuming that Scamps and Casitas (and Bolers, etc) only come with one roof vent? Leaving a sliding window open isn't desirable. I suppose it might work with a Lil Snoozy, with the vent in the rear and the escape window both left open. And of course your Escapes probably have two top vents, I bet.
Old 08-03-2013, 01:18 PM   #13

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
you still have air movement without the fan, just having the maxxfan vent open and a kitchen or bath window/vent cracked
Old 08-03-2013, 02:19 PM   #14

There are different methods that can be used to accomplish the same thing. Some require power, some require an area with rain only falling straight down, some have used bags of charcoal briquetts successfully. Some tarp, tent or use cloth covers of some sort so they can leave vents and windows open. Some even do absolutely nothing with good results.

I think using the trailer all the time and moving around the country to find sunshine sounds like the best idea of all
Old 04-23-2014, 04:54 PM   #15

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Dri-Z dehumidifier and open/shut windows?

I have a 13 ft Scamp that just spent its first winter in Victoria, BC, after a lifetime in Calgary. Mold has appeared in several places inside for the first time. I just bought a Dry-Z air canister to try drying out the air inside, now that the mold has been removed. I've kept a small window open all winter (it is protected and doesn't let rain in), but I'm thinking that with the dehumidifying canister, I should shut up all the windows -- otherwise I'm trying to dry out all of the We(s)t Coast!
Does this make sense, or should I continue to keep a window open? BTW, the open window was NOT the source of any water getting in -- moist air maybe, but not direct rain water. Any insight much appreciated.
Richard Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 08:45 PM   #16

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
I would use a dehumidifier with an external drain so you can leave it running. You might want to put in a remote wireless sensor to monitor temperature and humidity.
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:02 PM   #17

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
We live in a pretty wet area.....90 to 100 inches of rain per year. I use one of these in my Casita.......designed for boats but works well in trailers. Keeps everything very dry.....no moisture inside. Cheap to operate. Also installed a Maxx air vent cover which allows me to leave my roof vent open during any weather conditions.

Amazon.com: Davis Instruments Air-Dryr 1000 Dryer: Sports & Outdoors

http://www.amazon.com/Maxxair-00-933...s=max+air+vent
jerrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:37 PM   #18

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Davis View Post
Does this make sense, or should I continue to keep a window open? BTW, the open window was NOT the source of any water getting in -- moist air maybe, but not direct rain water. Any insight much appreciated.
Welcome to BC! I attended school in Victoria.

Keep a window open - go down to the marina and they boys down there will all tell you the only way to win the battle with the moist air (related to the fact you are now living on the ocean) is to keep the air moving. Take your cushions out or put them up on end and take all other soft goods (bedding, towels etc) out.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 04:51 AM   #19

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
I have a vent cover over the roof vent and one over the curb side window and haven't closed the window or roof vent in about 8 years. No mold yet.

I used to turn the cushions up and open all the cabinets but haven't even done that in years and years. I don't think Michigan is as rainy as Oregon nor is it as dry as Arizona but whatever cross ventilation I get seems to be enough.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 05:01 AM   #20

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
My Dry-Z freezes solid pretty early in the winter and stays that way till spring. Come April I do have some water in the cup, but not a lot. That's with everything closed up.

2 winters back I left the vent and a window open a bit, no Dry-Z at the time. Spring found mildew on just about everything. The only time I had the problem in 8 winters.