Vertglas - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2006, 09:07 PM   #1

Trailer: '74 Ventura
I'm sure some of you have heard of "Tioga & George" a blog from a fulltimer (not eggie), and if not, you may find his blog noteworthy (we've followed him for just over a year now).

Anyways he is trying out Vertglas on his Tioga Motorhome - he has just started with a "small sample" area - before and after photos included (he is quite good at providing photos of his adventures).

From the looks of his small sample and the reports of others on this board I do think we will be investing in this product.

LINK:
http://vagabonders-supreme.net/blog/blog.html

Cheers

Tammera & Terry

Before
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vertglas05_2D19_2D2006_20002_20Copy.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	3077

After
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vertglas05_2D19_2D2006_20005_20Copy.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	3078
ttmatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 10:51 PM   #2

Trailer: 2000 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
thank you for the introduction to george and ms tioga. just what i needed. oh, the vertglas looks good, too.
potteralice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 07:07 AM   #3

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500 Deluxe
[quote]I'm sure some of you have heard of "Tioga & George" a blog from a fulltimer (not eggie), and if not, you may find his blog noteworthy (we've followed him for just over a year now).

Anyways he is trying out Vertglas on his Tioga Motorhome - he has just started with a "small sample" area - before and after photos included (he is quite good at providing photos of his adventures).

From the looks of his small sample and the reports of others on this board I do think we will be investing in this product.

LINK:
http://vagabonders-supreme.net/blog/blog.html

Cheers

Tammera & Terry

Before
Attachment 3077

After
Attachment 3078

Hi,
I tried Vertglas a couple years ago. Good and Bad. The Good. When you first apply it it goes on easy and looks fantastic.....at 1st. Remember, this is designed for boats in the water. Which is always wet. It will hold up i am sure. But, our trailers because of dirt and the elements while driving to your campsites will break down within 1 to 2 months. Then it's a bear to remove, time wise. I would say flat out "NO"
I found that Collinite 925 has been the best so far good luck

Dave in Michigan
1978 Trillium 4500 Deluxe
Dave Baston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 05:38 PM   #4

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
So you are saying the abuse of a couple months of driving in the mountains would produce more wear and tear on a Vertglas'd fiberglass surface than the steady abuse a boat gets from constant immersion in salt water, (the cruel, constant sea) in addition to being outside in the same sun, rain, etc.?

Well I'm from St Louis so baby I got my doubts. In any case, the point of using Vertglas at all is to restore the color and glow of a severely oxidized fiberglass surface. Once that has been accomplished, and the trailer is back to looking just out of the showroom, then doesn't it make sense to protect that newly restored surface with something else....namely, wax?

....ah, maybe a boat wax?
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 09:09 AM   #5

Trailer: Trillium 5500 1980
Vertglas needs to be properly applied and maintained. The problem is often that people don't read simply read the instructions!

Everything is completely and properly explained on their Website :

http://www.vertglas.com/index.html

Improper application and maintenance leads to unsatisfied users. By the way, wax should not be used with Vertglas because of the nature of the product. Additional coats are the way to go and accumulated coats extends the duration of the product. Nothing is easier than adding additional coats.
Normand Choiniere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 11:19 AM   #6

New Mexico
Registry
Norm, I just carefully (re) read the Vertglas hot link you supplied. Thanks. Here's a quote for us.
  • How does Vertglas compare to waxes?

Vertglas is completely different from waxes. Waxes attempt to seal the surface but leave little pockets of air underneath. If your gel coat has been oxidized before, there are even more pockets of air. Sunlight will immediately begin to work on these pockets of air and oxidize your boat underneath the wax!

Vertglas works because it penetrates into the gel coat and seals the surface completely, stopping oxidation. Because Vertglas is a co-polymer, it forms a hard surface and lasts a long time, giving you an entire season of shine.
So you're saying instead of trying to remove it, Dave should have been adding more, to bring it back? Do you have an opinion on his Collinite 925 ?

By the way, I hope you guys recognize I am not trying encourage any arguments here, but am merely interested in getting to the bottom of things.
Old 05-21-2006, 02:06 PM   #7

Trailer: Trillium 5500 1980
Quote:
So you're saying instead of trying to remove it, Dave should have been adding more, to bring it back? Do you have an opinion on his Collinite 925 ?
No opinion on the Collinite 925, I never tried it.

But, as far as the Vertglas is concerned adding coats is the manufacturer's recommandation and the way to go. As a matter of fact they say that for a season (not necessarily a year!) you need to start with about 6 coats not one or two, six! To extend the duration the rule is : "The more coats you apply, the longer your boat will be protected and remain shiny." That could easily reach 12-15 coats on a yearly basis, divided into 2-3 applications for a RV!

This product is, up to a certains extent, "miraculous" to bring back the original shine, it is also very easily applied. BUT it doesn't stop there. You have to applys it on a regular basis. This has to be understood right from the beginning.
Normand Choiniere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 03:34 PM   #8

New Mexico
Registry
As you might guess, I committed to using this product on my Burro already so will be sticking with it. Back in October, it boiled down to it, or a new paint job. Compared to the price of paint, it was a no-brainer.

Weather turned before I could finish the job, and so in the next week or two I will be back on it. Regardless, being tied to one product, however good, does rub me wrong, and when you said "no wax, ever" I got a case of hives. Hence my continuing interest.

Now....I just copied this from off the Vertglas Frequently asked Questions page.
  • "Almost all Vertglas applications proceed smoothly and easily. However, our customers have found this section to be helpful to understand what to expect and answer any questions should they arise.

Yellowing of Gel Coat: Vertglas #4 Sealer Remover can cause white gel coat to yellow slightly. If this occurs, simply wash the surface with an acidic cleaner. Household vinegar will work fine or an acid based cleaner such as Vertglas #60 Hull Cleaner.

Discoloration of Vertglas #3 Coating: One of the most common causes of discoloration is from Aloe that is found in sunscreens. If this occurs, remove the old coating and recoat as necessary. Gasoline can also discolor Vertglas. Remove coating and recoat, apply 1-2 coatings of wax over the Vertglas in the affected area."

"Dulling of Finish: Many types of cleaners may damage and dull the coating of Vertglas #3 Color Restorer/Sealer. It is best to avoid high pH alkaline type cleaners like multipurpose spray and wipe type cleaners, tile cleaners, bleach, some teak cleaners, etc. Acidic products do not harm Vertglas."
Go figure.
Old 05-21-2006, 06:52 PM   #9

Quote:
As you might guess, I committed to using this product on my Burro already so will be sticking with it. Back in October, it boiled down to it, or a new paint job. Compared to the price of paint, it was a no-brainer.

Weather turned before I could finish the job, and so in the next week or two I will be back on it. Regardless, being tied to one product, however good, does rub me wrong, and when you said "no wax, ever" I got a case of hives. Hence my continuing interest.

Now....I just copied this from off the Vertglas Frequently asked Questions page.
  • "Almost all Vertglas applications proceed smoothly and easily. However, our customers have found this section to be helpful to understand what to expect and answer any questions should they arise.

Yellowing of Gel Coat: Vertglas #4 Sealer Remover can cause white gel coat to yellow slightly. If this occurs, simply wash the surface with an acidic cleaner. Household vinegar will work fine or an acid based cleaner such as Vertglas #60 Hull Cleaner.

Discoloration of Vertglas #3 Coating: One of the most common causes of discoloration is from Aloe that is found in sunscreens. If this occurs, remove the old coating and recoat as necessary. Gasoline can also discolor Vertglas. Remove coating and recoat, [b]apply 1-2 coatings of wax over the Vertglas in the affected area."

"Dulling of Finish: Many types of cleaners may damage and dull the coating of Vertglas #3 Color Restorer/Sealer. It is best to avoid high pH alkaline type cleaners like multipurpose spray and wipe type cleaners, tile cleaners, bleach, some teak cleaners, etc. Acidic products do not harm Vertglas."
Go figure.
Myron,

Dave in Michigan! I did put many, many coats on of Vertglas!!!! Unless you are putting your trailer in a enclosed showroom it is not good!!!! PERIOD !!!!
I've tried everything from these posts and many more, and have found the very best by far is Collinite 925 Boat WAX!!!! Why ask someone else if they have heard of it???? I used it!!! Is'nt that good enough???? Yes you can put 15 coats of vertglas on, but WHY????? It's more costly, more time away from camping ...THE SOLUTION: 1 Coat of Collinie 925... Good Luck!!!!!

Dave in Michigan
Old 05-22-2006, 08:26 AM   #10

New Mexico
Registry
Well, ah, no, Dave, maybe it isn't good enouth. Steady now, because I don't know Collinite from chocolate. I always approach new things with caution, especially when advocates get emotional about it. Besides, when the doctor told my mother I was ugly first thing I said was I want a second opinion. You are the only one who has stepped up to the plate to bat against Vertglas.

Do you have a source for the stuff I can look up?? Being cheap, if it costs less I'm automatically interested. As I said, I also don't like being tied down to any product.

What's most interesting here is the question of whether or not any wax can be applied over a severely oxidized fiberglass surface that's been brought back to life by the Vertglas product. (note my exerpt from the mfg and what Norm said.)
Old 05-22-2006, 12:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Well, ah, no, Dave, maybe it isn't good enouth. Steady now, because I don't know Collinite from chocolate. I always approach new things with caution, especially when advocates get emotional about it. Besides, when the doctor told my mother I was ugly first thing I said was I want a second opinion. You are the only one who has stepped up to the plate to bat against Vertglas.

Do you have a source for the stuff I can look up?? Being cheap, if it costs less I'm automatically interested. As I said, I also don't like being tied down to any product.

What's most interesting here is the question of whether or not [b]any wax can be applied over a severely oxidized fiberglass surface that's been brought back to life by the Vertglas product. (note my exerpt from the mfg and what Norm said.)
Howdy Myron,
Thanks for your reply back to me! To answer your question about wax and oxidization. When I bought my Trillium 4500 3 1/2 years ago, it was left outside and unused for nearly 5 years here in Michigan. It was oxidized severely. I started off with washing the whole trailer, than I used this stuff called ZAP for fiberglass from my local Wal-mart. It removed all of the dirt and oxidization completely. Then I used Mequirs Cleaner and oxidization remover with a Wheel. When these 2 steps were done the original luster of my cream gel-coat came thru beautifully
I used all kinds of products from this post and more. I might be wrong , but there may have been a post on wax in the past year or so, and that somone was crazy about Collinite 925 Boat Wax. I already tried everything, so I said what the hell, I'll try it! Guess what? I swear by it! I believe everyone else who gets their fiberglass prepped to the extent I did, the out come will be the same. Solution: 1 Coat Collinite 925 per season

I hope this helps you, and everyone else. Happy Camping Soon

Dave in Michigan
Old 05-23-2006, 07:57 AM   #12

Trailer: Love Bug 1974
Quote:
Howdy Myron,
Thanks for your reply back to me! To answer your question about wax and oxidization. When I bought my Trillium 4500 3 1/2 years ago, it was left outside and unused for nearly 5 years here in Michigan. It was oxidized severely. I started off with washing the whole trailer, than I used this stuff called ZAP for fiberglass from my local Wal-mart. It removed all of the dirt and oxidization completely. Then I used Mequirs Cleaner and oxidization remover with a Wheel. When these 2 steps were done the original luster of my cream gel-coat came thru beautifully
I used all kinds of products from this post and more. I might be wrong , but there may have been a post on wax in the past year or so, and that somone was crazy about Collinite 925 Boat Wax. I already tried everything, so I said what the hell, I'll try it! Guess what? I swear by it! I believe everyone else who gets their fiberglass prepped to the extent I did, the out come will be the same. Solution: 1 Coat Collinite 925 per season

I hope this helps you, and everyone else. Happy Camping Soon

Dave in Michigan
Dave, you have source where one may order this product?
Many thanks,
Gigi
Gigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 10:18 AM   #13

Hi GiGi,
I bought my bottle on Ebay. I just looked on Ebay right now, and they have one for "BUY NOW" at $13.95 and $8.50 shipping / Item# 4628209112. I won my bottle for less, but that was last summer. I would also check with your local Marina. If they do not have it most of them can order it for you pretty quickly. You may save some money, and posssibily get it faster. By the way, 1 bottle is more than enough.

You'll love it

Dave in Michigan
Old 05-28-2006, 06:15 PM   #14

New Mexico
Registry
Well, Dave, so far I don't love it.

Decided to buy Collinite and try it on half my Burro. I already had the street side done with Verglas when I ran out of it. So after you got me wondering if Collinite is better I got 2 pints, conditioner and boat wax, off that ebay auction. Yesterday I washed down entire burro with mild detergent and proceeded to apply the Collinite de-oxifier stuff to the curb side. It did a very good job of cleaning the surface. However, just as with the Vertglas cleaner, some stains on roof refused to be removed. A lot of white muck build-up on the rag, which I assume was a result of the process attacking the oxidation. After it dried I wiped it down, as directed. Then the time came to apply the wax.

I applied two coats of wax to the curb side. Check out the results for yourself. In actuality the Vertglas (street) side is way more shiny compared to the dullish sheen of the Collinite (curb) side.

The Vertglas comes much closer to matching the gloss of the original gel coat revealed under the removed original Burro decal. My only thought in support of Collinite wax is maybe the paste can of it produces a better gloss than the liquid. As far as having to continue using the Vertglas #3 liquid, well it costs just about the same for a quart as your Collinite wax does.
Attached Thumbnails
col__Vertg.jpg   ColliniteWax1.jpg  

col__Vertg2.jpg  
Old 06-01-2006, 07:58 AM   #15

Quote:
Well, Dave, so far I don't love it.

Decided to buy Collinite and try it on half my Burro. I already had the [b]street side done with Verglas when I ran out of it. So after you got me wondering if Collinite is better I got 2 pints, conditioner and boat wax, off that ebay auction. Yesterday I washed down entire burro with mild detergent and proceeded to apply the Collinite de-oxifier stuff to the [b]curb side. It did a very good job of cleaning the surface. However, just as with the Vertglas cleaner, some stains on roof refused to be removed. A lot of white muck build-up on the rag, which I assume was a result of the process attacking the oxidation. After it dried I wiped it down, as directed. Then the time came to apply the wax.

I applied two coats of wax to the curb side. Check out the results for yourself. In actuality the Vertglas (street) side is way more shiny compared to the dullish sheen of the Collinite (curb) side.

The Vertglas comes much closer to matching the gloss of the original gel coat revealed under the removed original Burro decal. My only thought in support of Collinite wax is maybe the paste can of it produces a better gloss than the liquid. As far as having to continue using the Vertglas #3 liquid, well it costs just about the same for a quart as your Collinite wax does.
Myron,
The question is long term. Vertglas is a no brainer for shine over any wax in the world. I did not use the cleaner from Collinite as you did. The steps I mentioned in above replies got my cream gel-coat to a nice satiny shine of a finish. Once I applied the Collinite 925 Boat Wax, it created a nicer shine yet. Remember what I said about vertglas? As you are driving to your camp sites the dirt and dust will break down the vertglas pretty fast. You will notice this both at the front top and the top of the trailer in general. Wax is'nt an issue . Our 1st camp trip last weekend was in the 90's and sunny all 4 days. Had great time

Dave in Michigan
Old 06-01-2006, 06:44 PM   #16

New Mexico
Registry
You can say that again. Just applied a fourth coat of collinite wax, and still no shine. Decided to contact the Vertglas people directly and ask them about that road dirt and dust breakdown problem you had. Also asked if there's any wax I can apply over Vertglas as a buffer. Will post their response.

I like my eggs bright and shiny. Meanwhile, working fast as I can to get egg rolling and give those gel halves I been massaging the definitive reality test. Man! Lookit that bright and shiny baby moon! (Thank you, ebay seller in Oregon.)
Attached Thumbnails
threshold.jpg