Vertical Seam Versus Horizontal Seam - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2015, 09:09 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Vertical Seam Versus Horizontal Seam

I am seriously considering the EggCamper but have not had much luck researching the vertical joining of the two halves. I know there are some older units, Burro and U-Haul, that have that seam. I am familiar with the horizontal one since that is most prevalent in the posts.

I am wondering sort of the dynamics of joining and the wear and tear on that joint. I am thinking that you are walking on that seam. I was reading something about flex and how anything joined together will have flex points were joined which makes perfect sense and the molded fiberglass having less seams would have less possibilities for the joints to fail and leak.

Any thoughts or experience? Thank you.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 09:26 AM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I have seen a few Burros with ceiling water damage from seam leakage, but they were usually in otherwise really unmaintained shape anyway. Can't say I have ever seen a belly band leaker, but several have been mentioned.

BTW: "I am thinking that you are walking on that seam" Unless you are walking on the roof I don't see that as a problem.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 09:54 AM   #3

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
The seam in an Eggcamper is sealed with a piece of "U" shaped moulding the covers the seam. No leaks as long as the moulding is present. Some older horizontal bands over time leak and the rivets or screws underneath start to rust. That is why some are removed and then fiberglassed over the seam. The Eggcamper, relatively newer has not reached the 20-30 year mark where the seam needs attention.
Old 03-15-2015, 12:27 PM   #4

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
The vertical seam on my 42 year old Compact Jr does not leak.
Old 03-15-2015, 12:35 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Trostel View Post
The vertical seam on my 42 year old Compact Jr does not leak.
What vertical seam? I thought the Compacts (and kissin' cousins) all had a belly band-type seam...
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 02:25 PM   #6

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
I don't think the Compact II has a vertical seam, but the Compact Jr is made from a right and left half. The seam is covered with tape and mine is beginning to flake off. In the linked photo look above the spare tire and front window.

Mission Tejas State Park, TX Photo by tomNjo | Photobucket

And this one has tape that has been replaced with reflective tape.

Mellow Yellow In Crescent City, CA Photo by tomNjo | Photobucket

The horizontal band around the middle of the trailer is simply decoration and is not there in the rear.
Old 03-15-2015, 02:42 PM   #7

Thanks everyone! The Compact Jr., who would have thought since to me, I would have thought it had 4 pieces, quarters. Lovely photos and great looking unit.

I got to thinking about the EggCamper and since it has the wood floor, I think, above the fiberglass seam, that would distribute the weight across the area plus you have a double shell. And, I don't see myself on the roof walking around. I'm afraid of heights!
Old 03-16-2015, 08:53 AM   #8

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Tom
Thanks for those pics. I hadn't seen one of those before. Neat looking. I'd love to szee it in person.

Walt
WaltP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 09:37 AM   #9
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Burro and others may have chosen the vertical seam because it would be difficult if not impossible to remove their shell from a mold with a horizontal seam. For example the protruding tail light mount would be an issue. Raz
Attached Images

Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 09:54 AM   #10

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
The vertical seam on the roof , the recessed side windows and the protruding rear window on the Burro all add structural strength without adding much weight. These are some features I really like.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 10:15 AM   #11

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
I have a 2007 egg that has been dragged all over the north east by the PO and now by me to some cool boondocks where the roads are not the greatest. So far no sign of a leek any where.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 03-16-2015, 01:51 PM   #12

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
The belly band be it vertical or horizontal is cosmetic not functional. It just hides the ragged edges of the molded halves.

I seem to recall EggCamper uses adhesive as part of their joining process, not sure if they also fiberglass the two halves of the outer skin from the inside. Scamp joins the two halves with fiberglass so one would expect it to be nearly as strong as the shell.

One advantage the vertical might have is water has to flow "up" to get to the edges of the joined halves. Horizontal (Scamp at least) are set up so water flows behind the band and right over the sealed joint. If the joint seal leaks the band will insure water gets to the leak. The horizontal seams rarely do leak but if they do the trim won't help them shed water away from the leak. The way I would think a vertical band might.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 04:12 PM   #13
Sid

Name: Sid
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Wisconsin
Roger
One thing I thought Casita, Scamp, and Parkliner shared was the overlapping of the horizontal seam (at least I didn't think it was unique to PL). You can see the 4" overlap in this photo I borrowed from Thom's previous post.
Sid
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 07:05 PM   #14

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Or both halves bonded together like Escape before the trailer comes out of the mold.
Attached Thumbnails
New-5er-01.jpg   New-5er-03.jpg  

Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 04:36 AM   #15
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
On Trilliums the two halves are aligned with the belly band on the outside

Name:   image-2446641549.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  25.2 KB

and metal plates on the inside. A layer of fiberglass is then applied inside to hold everything together. Others (Scamp pictured) use a lip to join the two halves. Be it horizontal or vertical this lip has to add rigidity. It's also a better way to do it as it's less likely to leak. My Trillium leaked from the factory because it was not sealed properly inside. Raz
Attached Thumbnails
image-3310756043.jpg   image-557598670.jpg  

Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 06:56 AM   #16

Thanks. It's really interesting to see the variety of ways that the two halves can be joined. I just had no idea that horizontal differed one from the other.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:41 AM   #17

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I really like the overlapping seam of the Parkliner. That must make it a bit difficult to get out of the mold.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 11:25 AM   #18

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
The left thumbnail supplied by Raz in post #15 is what my scamp seam looks like. I don't see any actual overlap. Just two pieces butted together with a layer of FG mat and resin applied to the inside, and I assume some resin between the top and bottom as they are brought together.

A lip on the inside in addition to helping align things if coming up from the bottom piece might act as a water barrier. However I'm not sure if one gets a stronger bond from having the surface on the inside all available for the FG layer that joins the two.

As pointed out the ridge line does impart some strength. But at least one with a vertical seam, the EggCamper I think has double walls which I would think add strength.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote