Wall covering on Lil' Bigfoot - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2010, 01:09 PM   #1

Trailer: 1990 Lil Bigfoot / 2001 Xterra
Hi Guys. Looking for some advice.

I've got a 1990 Lil' Bigfoot in great shape - but the interior wall covering (furry material over bubble wrap) is starting to sag. I'd like to replace it with something - but I'm not sure with what (or how much I'll need). I'm going to pull the windows at the end of the month and figure that it's a good time to replace the lining...

I've called Escape and might swing by to check out their wall linings. I also really like the idea of leaving the bubble wrap in place and putting marine hull liner in (carpet?) as I think it might be good at resisting mildew, etc.

Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Pete
Peter DBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 03:15 PM   #2

Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact Jr
You could also locate one of the larger fabric stores; they carry a lot of upholstery mat'ls and vinyls
Dave Bese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 04:17 PM   #3

Trailer: Bigfoot 13.5 ft
Peter:

I'm completely renovating the interior of my 1987 Lil Bigfoot right now. After looking at everything, I've decided to replace the yellow, sagging fabric with perforated vinyl (basically automobile headliner). Then I'm redoing the paneling with new 1/4" board (2 veneers with MDF in the middle) covered with some type of wall paper (haven't decided yet) and pinch welt on the edge. I'll get some pictures posted as soon as I make more progress. Right now I'm still working on replacing the floor with new 3/4" MDO.

Carl
Carl G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 11:24 AM   #4

Trailer: 1981 Scamp 13 ft / 2005 Volkswagen Golf TDI
I just finished gutting my 13' Scamp. The older ones had vinyl-covered Ensolite foam, whereas the new ones have "fuzzy stuff" over reflective bubbles, like your rig. I'm going to try attaching 3/16" cork sheet. The plan is to stain it with whitewash stain, then cover it with three coats of polyurethane.

Besides cost and availability, there's another reason those reflective bubbles are there. Heat from sunlight goes right through fiberglass shells. Before the cork goes on, I'm going to paint the inside with white reflective roof paint. I'm not familiar with all of the various formulations of that stuff, but most are heavy-bodied acrylic paint with either aluminum flakes or glass microspheres. (Mine contains the microspheres.)The old Ensolite-lined Scamp can be a real oven in direct sunlight. When you can't spare an inch or more for insulation, the reflective barrier is the way to go. In fact, a reflective barrier + insulation is even better, whether in house or RV. Just my $0.02 worth.
Jon W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 09:21 PM   #5

Trailer: Lil Bigfoot
Hi Peter,
I'm in the process of redoing my '87 Lil Bigfoot. I gutted it mid Summer last year, and have spent the winter redoing it. I actually just put my second coat of paint on the outside yesterday.

I searched high and low for a good month, having samples of ensolite, headliner material etc. shipped and finally settled on the hull liner fabric, aka 'ratfur'. The funny thing is that a ton of emails to companies all over the US and Canada led me to a guy who does boat interiors, literally a stone's throw from my house - I'm sure there's a life lesson in there.

Long story short, I glued the fabric over Reflectix (bubble wrap) that I put in as the old foam insulation had seen known better days. I managed to hide all seams below cabinet lines and behind the tall standing closet...no seams will be seen when it's all pieced back together. I think a roll of it cost me just shy of $500 dollars including the glue. You do need a special automotive/glue gun to apply it. The supplier is a company called 'Jackson' . If you have any questions, don't hesitate.

Mike
Mike Whitney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 05:25 PM   #6

Trailer: 1990 Lil Bigfoot / 2001 Xterra
Great info guys!

We've settled on hull liner over the original bubble wrap assuming it's still good. After hearing about the floor nightmares, I pulled up a corner of lino and to my delight everything appears to be good. The hull liner is 72" tall...and goes for $23 a yard at the local boat upholstery place here in Kelowna bc....I'm thinking 10 yards should do it...thoughts?

Now - I'm not thinking a total gut, but pulling at least the upper cabinets and maybe the door closet...is it a tough job? Any advice you guys can give a novice that wants to keep the swear jar from having more in it than the savings account?

Thanks!
Peter DBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 06:53 PM   #7

Trailer: Bigfoot 13.5 ft
Peter:

Actually, the cabinets are fairly easy to take out. I've taken all except the upper front and rear units in my 87 Lil Bigfoot. Just take your time and carefully unscrew from the floor and wall. The wood veneer panels are glued to the cabinet frames, but you can remove just about all of the cabinetry without pulling them away from the frame.

I'm glad to hear that your floor is in good shape. Unfortunately, mine was not and so I'm going for a total restore.

Carl
Carl G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 11:34 PM   #8

Name: Andrew
Trailer: Lil Bigfoot
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Whitney View Post
Hi Peter,
I'm in the process of redoing my '87 Lil Bigfoot. I gutted it mid Summer last year, and have spent the winter redoing it. I actually just put my second coat of paint on the outside yesterday.

I searched high and low for a good month, having samples of ensolite, headliner material etc. shipped and finally settled on the hull liner fabric, aka 'ratfur'. The funny thing is that a ton of emails to companies all over the US and Canada led me to a guy who does boat interiors, literally a stone's throw from my house - I'm sure there's a life lesson in there.

Long story short, I glued the fabric over Reflectix (bubble wrap) that I put in as the old foam insulation had seen known better days. I managed to hide all seams below cabinet lines and behind the tall standing closet...no seams will be seen when it's all pieced back together. I think a roll of it cost me just shy of $500 dollars including the glue. You do need a special automotive/glue gun to apply it. The supplier is a company called 'Jackson' . If you have any questions, don't hesitate.

Mike
Hello Mike I’m in the process of putting up reflectix as well and wondered what glue you used and how well it’s held up
Handy Andy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot