Want to winterize my abandoned Casita. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-14-2018, 03:57 PM   #15

Name: William
Trailer: Casita SD17
New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
+100 Time to sell it. Casitas hold their value well, sitting across country in a friend's driveway is not a really good plan. Take the money and when you reach the point where a trailer fits your lifestyle, buy one then. RVs don't do well sitting idle in a driveway, not under cover, for several years.

We reached that point earlier in our life. We moved cross country, and brought our fifth wheel with us. There it sat, used maybe once or twice in six years. Should have sold it before we moved cross country. We ended up selling it six years later (for a lot less money of course) before making another long distance move.

In my case, at least we could keep an eye on it, do maintenance or whatever.

Maybe I will sell it, I would love to get a Class B or Cargo van, so I can drive across country on short notice, and also use as a daily driver. Casitas last a long time, so for now, I will hang on to it. I just cleaned it inside and out, got all the water out of the HW heater, put trashbags in all the propane exhausts, put some giant DampRids in it, and put a cover over the whole thing. It's in better shape now, than it was. Maybe this summer I will decide what I will do with it.

The only damage it has is to the paint job. I used clear shipping tape to secure Reflectix to the outside, and it doesn't come off without ripping off the paint. I can sometimes get it off by using warm water, and will try again this summer. One day I will probably get the whole thing redone on the outside, no idea how much that will cost. This was my one mistake so far.

whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 04:01 PM   #16

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
North Carolina
Registry
The outside of a Casita is not painted. So if it is original, then use of a solvent that is agreeable with fiberglass gel coat is your solution.

thrifty bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 12:57 AM   #17

Name: John
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21, 2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 4x4
California
Registry
re the battery, I would get a Battery Tender or similar, and ask if you can't leave the battery in a corner of their garage with the BT plugged in. it will only use a few watts once the battery is fully charged, but about once a month the BT will wake up and run through a charge cycle to maintain the battery in peak condition.

John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita