Washable walls behind stove on Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2011, 02:41 PM   #1

Trailer: Aliner
Washable walls behind stove on Scamp

One of the things that concerned me about the Scamp is the rat fur behind the stove. We do a lot of cooking in our camper, and I wanted to make sure I could get a washable wall as an option.

I talked to Jim at Scamp today. He said there is no problem putting a washable splash panel on the wall behind the stove and sink.

So it's as definite as anything in the future can be.... we plan to order our Scamp 5th wheel sometime this fall.

BTW, if anyone is planning to buy soon, now is the time, as the prices are going up in two weeks. Unfortunately, I had to pass on those savings.
Sharon G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 03:49 PM   #2

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon G View Post
One of the things that concerned me about the Scamp is the rat fur behind the stove. We do a lot of cooking in our camper, and I wanted to make sure I could get a washable wall as an option.

I talked to Jim at Scamp today. He said there is no problem putting a washable splash panel on the wall behind the stove and sink.

So it's as definite as anything in the future can be.... we plan to order our Scamp 5th wheel sometime this fall.

BTW, if anyone is planning to buy soon, now is the time, as the prices are going up in two weeks. Unfortunately, I had to pass on those savings.
We have the same issue in the 1991 we just biught. Surprisingly in 20 years it looks like no one ever used the stove and the wall is spotless. We do cook and have decided to put a back splash in.

Norm
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 05:47 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
There's been lots of solutions. The same linoleum on the floor placed behind the kitchen area, stainless or aluminum panel, diamond plate, plastic tiles, etc. If you want the rat fur to show, heavy mylar. I have a home made stove cover. I just flip it up behind the stove. Protects the rat fur and it's still spotless.

Or, you could not worry about it (watch the bubbling spaghetti sauce!). If it gets funky... then worry about replacing it. Covering up the rat fur with something else has basically destroyed the original anyway. May as wait until it needs it.

It sorta reminds me of people who keep plastic covers on lamp shades. YMMV

On edit: This new post in the For Sale forum of a Casita shows a type of solution for the area behind the stove: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...uxe-45510.html
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 02:05 PM   #4

Florida
Our Casita comes with fiberglass behind the stove even though there is a solid stove cover and a power vent.

Norm
Old 03-24-2011, 04:53 PM   #5

Quote:
I have a home made stove cover. I just flip it up behind the stove. Protects the rat fur and it's still spotless.
That's an easy solution!
Quote:
Covering up the rat fur with something else has basically destroyed the original anyway. May as wait until it needs it.
I guess I'm kind of a heathen when it comes to wanting to maintain the original, classic appearance. I don't mind changing it so it's not stock to make it better fit my purposes. What is important to me is the integrity of the molded fiberglass shell.
Quote:
It sorta reminds me of people who keep plastic covers on lamp shades. YMMV
Oh, yuck! What a graphic mental picture!
Quote:
Our Casita comes with fiberglass behind the stove even though there is a solid stove cover and a power vent.
Yours must be the Deluxe. That's the kind of splash panel I had in mind. But I want the Standard model for the lighter weight with our 6 cylinder truck. I didn't think they would put the splash panel in the standard.

I don't know if Scamp was just telling me what I wanted to hear, and if they would tell me later, "Oops, sorry. We can't do that in a Standard."

Here's a picture of the splash board I would like them to put in a Standard for me--without the wood trim, of course.
Attached Thumbnails
splashboard.jpg  
Old 03-24-2011, 05:35 PM   #6

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon G View Post
That's an easy solution!
I guess I'm kind of a heathen when it comes to wanting to maintain the original, classic appearance. I don't mind changing it so it's not stock to make it better fit my purposes. What is important to me is the integrity of the molded fiberglass shell.
Oh, yuck! What a graphic mental picture!
Yours must be the Deluxe. That's the kind of splash panel I had in mind. But I want the Standard model for the lighter weight with our 6 cylinder truck. I didn't think they would put the splash panel in the standard.

I don't know if Scamp was just telling me what I wanted to hear, and if they would tell me later, "Oops, sorry. We can't do that in a Standard."

Here's a picture of the splash board I would like them to put in a Standard for me--without the wood trim, of course.
I understand they put it and it's rather inexpensive. We do not have a 'wooden' deluxe though I like them. Since we tow with a Honda CRV we go for lightness as well.

Norm
Old 03-24-2011, 05:45 PM   #7

Quote:
I understand they put it and it's rather inexpensive. We do not have a 'wooden' deluxe though I like them. Since we tow with a Honda CRV we go for lightness as well.
Norm, Jim at Scamp told me that it would cost $70.00 per panel and they could put it behind the stove and the sink, if desired. So I agree that is very reasonable.

Tags
scamp