washing cushion covers - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2014, 07:48 PM   #1

Name: graham
Trailer: 1990 bigfoot 17 foot
Alberta
washing cushion covers

Bought a 91 bigfoot.We want to take the cushion covers off and toss them in a washer.Good idea? Bad idea?Pointers or insight would be cool
gwestwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:13 PM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I was able to wash the old one in my trailer a few times. Just do it on a light cycle - such a hand wash or delicate - with a not to harsh detergent such as Zero and in cold or slightly warm water not hot. Hang them to dry.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 06:13 AM   #3

Name: David
Trailer: Escape Trailers
Massachusetts
easy way to get the covers back on

Be sure to watch this YouTube video describing an easy way to get the covers back on after you wash the cushions.
Stretcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 07:54 AM   #4

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
A 1991 is ONLY 23 years old and the covers MIGHT survive being washed or, depending on how much sun exposure they have had, they may dissolve.

What I do, and have done on covers & original curtains over 30 y.o., is take them to a reputable dry cleaner, tell them that they are delicate, and have them dry cleaned.

Yes, it costs a lot more, but the chances of still having covers when you are done is much improved and there won't be any problems with fabric or seam thread shrinkage.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 08:23 AM   #5

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I washed the covers on my 1988 (26 year old) Scamp recently and the they turned out great. Except the the front sofa back/upper bunk cover that was coming apart anyway. I actually did more damage to it getting it off than I did washing it (cold water, gentle cycle, liquid detergent). Getting them back on was not too hard, take your time. Turn them inside out and pull over the cushion a little on each side and work them in. It was well worth the effort, I could not believe the pure dirt that came out of the cushions, not to mention they smell and feel a lot better.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 09:48 AM   #6

Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
California
Registry
Might also want to drip dry. In the shade of course. Or at least take out of cool/warm dryer before completely dry. You can bet the fabric was not preshrunk before stitching and you don't want those covers shrinking anymore than you can help. Be very patient working the foam back in so you don't poke your fingers thru it.
If you are careful, you come out ahead. Plus you get a chance to see how they were made and maybe take photos and measurements then when you see that perfect fabric out on the road somewhere.....
Denece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 07:31 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
UVs and wear are the "words" to pay attention to. No matter which method you try, expect it to not to turn out perfect. It's all about what is acceptable to you. You ARE dealing with fabrics that are several decades old...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 08:46 PM   #8

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Its very old upholstery fabric and it will not do well in any drier. Best that it simple hangs to dry.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote