Water Heater Boler 1700 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-07-2011, 02:02 PM   #1

Name: Rene
Trailer: Bigfoot 2500 truck camper
British Columbia
Water Heater Boler 1700

Just purchased a 1978 Boler1700 and found this website to be a fantastic resource. Spent a weekend out boondocking nearby to find out what worked. The water heater leaked water constantly through a female drain hose fitting. No matter how I set the bypass valves it keeps pouring through. Tried unsuccessfully to plug it with a male hose plug and hose washer. Not sure why the heater has no drain valve or plug just an open drain. I read quite a few threads here on water heaters but mine a suburban 6 gallon does not seem to match what I saw. Anyone familiar with this? I will try to get a pic to show where the water is coming from.

Old 08-07-2011, 03:03 PM   #2

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene View Post
Just purchased a 1978 Boler1700 and found this website to be a fantastic resource. Spent a weekend out boondocking nearby to find out what worked. The water heater leaked water constantly through a female drain hose fitting. No matter how I set the bypass valves it keeps pouring through. Tried unsuccessfully to plug it with a male hose plug and hose washer. Not sure why the heater has no drain valve or plug just an open drain. I read quite a few threads here on water heaters but mine a suburban 6 gallon does not seem to match what I saw. Anyone familiar with this? I will try to get a pic to show where the water is coming from.
It is not entirely clear to what you refer, but if you mean the hot water tank drain... It should be pipe thread, not hose thread.
Please pardon me if I misunderstood.

Old 08-07-2011, 03:13 PM   #3

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
It is not entirely clear to what you refer, but if you mean the hot water tank drain... It should be pipe thread, not hose thread.
Please pardon me if I misunderstood.
No problem Floyd...that is what I do not understand. It is a hose thread fitting and I do not understand why it is there or what the previous owner did to it. Working on some pics.
Old 08-07-2011, 03:36 PM   #4

British Columbia
Pics

Here are a few pics.

The hose fitting with a hose washer that I inserted. The plug would not seat deeply enough to seat the washer.

Unless I can figure out a good reason to leave the hose fitting in, I would like to take it out and put a drain valve in.
Attached Thumbnails
Holiday Trailer 008.jpg   Holiday Trailer 009.jpg  

Holiday Trailer 016.jpg  
Old 08-07-2011, 05:07 PM   #5

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Here are a few pics.

The hose fitting with a hose washer that I inserted. The plug would not seat deeply enough to seat the washer.

Unless I can figure out a good reason to leave the hose fitting in, I would like to take it out and put a drain valve in.
Is that hose thing an adapter which is pipe thread on the other end?
If so, then a large Easyout might just do the trick along withe a little penetrating oil and maybe a heatgun?
UPDATE!... READ BRIAN'S NOTE BEFORE DOING ANYTHING ELSE TO IT that little flange on the inside of a normal hose fitting can be snugged up with a rounded screwdriver handle and a couple of taps then try two gaskets.
Also... spray battery terminal cleaner should clean it up pretty quick!
Old 08-07-2011, 06:48 PM   #6

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Is that hose thing an adapter which is pipe thread on the other end?
If so, then a large Easyout might just do the trick along withe a little penetrating oil and maybe a heatgun?
UPDATE!... READ BRIAN'S NOTE BEFORE DOING ANYTHING ELSE TO IT that little flange on the inside of a normal hose fitting can be snugged up with a rounded screwdriver handle and a couple of taps then try two gaskets.
Also... spray battery terminal cleaner should clean it up pretty quick!
Thanks Floyd. There is pipe thread on the back of the hose fitting. Getting a tool on it is a real challenge though. I think I need a better wrench. I am going to spray it with super lube and see if I can get it to shut off like a tap.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:28 PM   #7

British Columbia
now it is closed

Finally got it to turn counterclockwise and backed it all the way OUT and lo and behold it stopped leaking from the drain anyways. Now there is a constant drip from the pressure relief valve. I flushed some water through the valve and I am hoping the valve seal might swell a bit and stop dripping but MAY have to replace it? Thanks so much for your help this far Brian and Floyd.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:16 AM   #8

Trailer: Two 13 ft Bolers and one 17 ft Boler
Sounds like a familiar experience. I did the same thing while trying to figure out my water heater. I went through the same process, thinking what idiot designed this stupid thing. You should be able to turn that whole female fitting in a clockwise direction and it should stop your water draining. Check out my video. At 4 minute 40 seconds I am draining my tank.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:37 AM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
In the manual for my hot water tank it says that you may have lost your air cushion in the top of your tank.

Try draining and refilling the tank.

Bill K

Quote:
Finally got it to turn counterclockwise and backed it all the way OUT and lo and behold it stopped leaking from the drain anyways. Now there is a constant drip from the pressure relief valve. I flushed some water through the valve and I am hoping the valve seal might swell a bit and stop dripping but MAY have to replace it? Thanks so much for your help this far Brian and Floyd.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:46 PM   #10

British Columbia
Thanks for the nicely rounding out this thread Bill and Kevin. The water has stopped leaking from the pressure relief valve. Everything seems to be working properly now. I enjoyed your video clips Kevin. I am moving towards LED lighting and I have 150 watts of solar panels to install. Picking up some good tips.

Tags
boler