Water Heater Boler 1700 - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-07-2011, 02:02 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Name: Rene
Trailer: Bigfoot 2500 truck camper
British Columbia
Posts: 233
Water Heater Boler 1700

Just purchased a 1978 Boler1700 and found this website to be a fantastic resource. Spent a weekend out boondocking nearby to find out what worked. The water heater leaked water constantly through a female drain hose fitting. No matter how I set the bypass valves it keeps pouring through. Tried unsuccessfully to plug it with a male hose plug and hose washer. Not sure why the heater has no drain valve or plug just an open drain. I read quite a few threads here on water heaters but mine a suburban 6 gallon does not seem to match what I saw. Anyone familiar with this? I will try to get a pic to show where the water is coming from.
__________________

__________________
Rene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 03:03 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 6,046
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene View Post
Just purchased a 1978 Boler1700 and found this website to be a fantastic resource. Spent a weekend out boondocking nearby to find out what worked. The water heater leaked water constantly through a female drain hose fitting. No matter how I set the bypass valves it keeps pouring through. Tried unsuccessfully to plug it with a male hose plug and hose washer. Not sure why the heater has no drain valve or plug just an open drain. I read quite a few threads here on water heaters but mine a suburban 6 gallon does not seem to match what I saw. Anyone familiar with this? I will try to get a pic to show where the water is coming from.
It is not entirely clear to what you refer, but if you mean the hot water tank drain... It should be pipe thread, not hose thread.
Please pardon me if I misunderstood.
__________________

__________________
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 03:13 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Name: Rene
Trailer: Bigfoot 2500 truck camper
British Columbia
Posts: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
It is not entirely clear to what you refer, but if you mean the hot water tank drain... It should be pipe thread, not hose thread.
Please pardon me if I misunderstood.
No problem Floyd...that is what I do not understand. It is a hose thread fitting and I do not understand why it is there or what the previous owner did to it. Working on some pics.
__________________
Rene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 03:36 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Name: Rene
Trailer: Bigfoot 2500 truck camper
British Columbia
Posts: 233
Pics

Here are a few pics.

The hose fitting with a hose washer that I inserted. The plug would not seat deeply enough to seat the washer.

Unless I can figure out a good reason to leave the hose fitting in, I would like to take it out and put a drain valve in.
Attached Thumbnails
Holiday Trailer 008.jpg   Holiday Trailer 009.jpg  

Holiday Trailer 016.jpg  
__________________
Rene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 05:07 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 6,046
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene View Post
Here are a few pics.

The hose fitting with a hose washer that I inserted. The plug would not seat deeply enough to seat the washer.

Unless I can figure out a good reason to leave the hose fitting in, I would like to take it out and put a drain valve in.
Is that hose thing an adapter which is pipe thread on the other end?
If so, then a large Easyout might just do the trick along withe a little penetrating oil and maybe a heatgun?
UPDATE!... READ BRIAN'S NOTE BEFORE DOING ANYTHING ELSE TO IT that little flange on the inside of a normal hose fitting can be snugged up with a rounded screwdriver handle and a couple of taps then try two gaskets.
Also... spray battery terminal cleaner should clean it up pretty quick!
__________________
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 06:48 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Name: Rene
Trailer: Bigfoot 2500 truck camper
British Columbia
Posts: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Is that hose thing an adapter which is pipe thread on the other end?
If so, then a large Easyout might just do the trick along withe a little penetrating oil and maybe a heatgun?
UPDATE!... READ BRIAN'S NOTE BEFORE DOING ANYTHING ELSE TO IT that little flange on the inside of a normal hose fitting can be snugged up with a rounded screwdriver handle and a couple of taps then try two gaskets.
Also... spray battery terminal cleaner should clean it up pretty quick!
Thanks Floyd. There is pipe thread on the back of the hose fitting. Getting a tool on it is a real challenge though. I think I need a better wrench. I am going to spray it with super lube and see if I can get it to shut off like a tap.
__________________
Rene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 09:28 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Name: Rene
Trailer: Bigfoot 2500 truck camper
British Columbia
Posts: 233
now it is closed

Finally got it to turn counterclockwise and backed it all the way OUT and lo and behold it stopped leaking from the drain anyways. Now there is a constant drip from the pressure relief valve. I flushed some water through the valve and I am hoping the valve seal might swell a bit and stop dripping but MAY have to replace it? Thanks so much for your help this far Brian and Floyd.
__________________
Rene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:16 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
kevin61's Avatar
 
Trailer: Two 13 ft Bolers and one 17 ft Boler
Posts: 325
Sounds like a familiar experience. I did the same thing while trying to figure out my water heater. I went through the same process, thinking what idiot designed this stupid thing. You should be able to turn that whole female fitting in a clockwise direction and it should stop your water draining. Check out my video. At 4 minute 40 seconds I am draining my tank.

__________________
kevin61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:37 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Posts: 692
In the manual for my hot water tank it says that you may have lost your air cushion in the top of your tank.

Try draining and refilling the tank.

Bill K


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene View Post
Finally got it to turn counterclockwise and backed it all the way OUT and lo and behold it stopped leaking from the drain anyways. Now there is a constant drip from the pressure relief valve. I flushed some water through the valve and I am hoping the valve seal might swell a bit and stop dripping but MAY have to replace it? Thanks so much for your help this far Brian and Floyd.
__________________
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 02:46 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Name: Rene
Trailer: Bigfoot 2500 truck camper
British Columbia
Posts: 233
Thanks for the nicely rounding out this thread Bill and Kevin. The water has stopped leaking from the pressure relief valve. Everything seems to be working properly now. I enjoyed your video clips Kevin. I am moving towards LED lighting and I have 150 watts of solar panels to install. Picking up some good tips.
__________________

__________________
Rene is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
boler


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Water tank for boler 1700? Patton M. Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 3 09-08-2009 04:15 PM
Coleman Hot Water Heater outside a Boler kevin61 Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 0 07-13-2008 07:11 PM
Hot Water Heater - Rusty Water terryw Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 9 07-15-2006 09:33 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.