water heater bypass - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2018, 01:43 PM   #1

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
water heater bypass

HI,
Hot water was bypassed for winterizing, anode left uninstalled (hole open)
Dewinterizing, bypass still in place, anode still out.
Fill on board tank, turn on water pump and faucets.
Water leaking out the hot water heater (faucets all fine)

Is this due to the anode still being out (hole open) ? But, if it's in bypass, not water should enter the hot water heater, right?
Or do I have a leak somewhere?

Thanks.
Brandee
2007 Casita SD 17'
Peer n Brandee KL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 02:12 AM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peer n Brandee KL View Post
HI,
Hot water was bypassed for winterizing, anode left uninstalled (hole open)
Dewinterizing, bypass still in place, anode still out.
Fill on board tank, turn on water pump and faucets.
Water leaking out the hot water heater (faucets all fine)
Is this due to the anode still being out (hole open) ? But, if it's in bypass, not water should enter the hot water heater, right?
Or do I have a leak somewhere?
Thanks.
Brandee
2007 Casita SD 17'
Brandee, kind of scratching my head here. Just where is it leaking out of the heater, the open anode hole or at the fill line? With the bypass turned on there shouldn't be any water getting into the heater. Kind of guessing here but if it's only leaking with the pump on it could it be from a loose supply connection at the heater.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 06:37 AM   #3

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Brandee, kind of scratching my head here. Just where is it leaking out of the heater, the open anode hole or at the fill line? With the bypass turned on there shouldn't be any water getting into the heater. Kind of guessing here but if it's only leaking with the pump on it could it be from a loose supply connection at the heater.

Yes, water comes out of open anode hole when bypass is in place and pump is on. Thank you for confirming that no water should be entering the heater when bypass is on. Suppose I should also find out if water leaks out with shore water attached.

Thank you for suggestion - I will check that out.

Replaced anode, and no leaking. But that simple fact does not solve water getting into the heater on byass.
Peer n Brandee KL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 07:04 AM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Some bypass systems (like mine) have 3 valves: one at the HW heater inlet, one at the outlet, and the actual 'bypass' valve between the hot and cold lines.
If only the bypass valve is in the bypass position (open) but the inlet & outlet valves are also left open, nothing will prevent water from entering the water heater.
To actually bypass the water heater the inlet and outlet valves must be closed, with the bypass valve open.

I guess most systems have a two valves system, using 3-way valves. If water enters the water heater, I would think one of the valves is not in the correct (bypass) position or is defective (leaking).
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote