Water Heater Fix - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2018, 04:55 PM   #1

Name: Pat
Trailer: Casita 17'
California
Water Heater Fix

Brought home 2002 Casita for short trip. The water heater, Suburban SW6P, is a simple propane only heater that requires manually lighting the pilot light. After lighting the pilot light & turning the gas valve from ‘Pilot’ to ‘On’, there was a disturbing stuttering sound at the port opening where the propane exits an orifice and proceeds down the burner tube to the burn chamber. There was only a trickle of flame in the burn chamber. I removed the burner tube and cleaned the tube although it didn’t appear clogged or dirty. The office also looked good.
Nevertheless, I took a chance and purchased a new tube from Amazon-$27. Happy to report that fixed the problem and heater is working like before. After my 14 years of owning Casita, this is the first problem with the water heater.
yolofitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 05:18 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by yolofitz View Post
Brought home 2002 Casita for short trip. The water heater, Suburban SW6P, is a simple propane only heater that requires manually lighting the pilot light. After lighting the pilot light & turning the gas valve from ‘Pilot’ to ‘On’, there was a disturbing stuttering sound at the port opening where the propane exits an orifice and proceeds down the burner tube to the burn chamber. There was only a trickle of flame in the burn chamber. I removed the burner tube and cleaned the tube although it didn’t appear clogged or dirty. The office also looked good.
Nevertheless, I took a chance and purchased a new tube from Amazon-$27. Happy to report that fixed the problem and heater is working like before. After my 14 years of owning Casita, this is the first problem with the water heater.
Check the Gas Valve knob...
There is a small Philips head screw in the center covered with paint.
The knob is plastic and gets loose over time, causing the position pointer to become a little vague. Snug up the screw and it will likely restore the pointer on the knob to its former accuracy.
I have found that even that small variance can cause the Gas Valve to act a little odd.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 09:10 AM   #3

Trailer: Casita Freedom Deluxe
Had a similar problem with my 2000 Casita - fixed it but still had a problem with the pilot blowing out in windstorms. I finally gave up and put in a new water heater with electric and automatic lighting. Well worth the money.
Walt is offline   Reply With Quote