water hookup question - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-04-2011, 03:32 AM   #15
Name: Ron
Trailer: Eggless for now.
Formerly NH, now full timing
I bought a flat hose, used it once, then left it in the campground dumpster.

Ron F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 03:44 PM   #16
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Originally Posted by Ron F View Post
I bought a flat hose, used it once, then left it in the campground dumpster.
You got further than I. I bought one and tested it at home, it came apart the first time it was pressured up.

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 05:05 PM   #17
Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Thumbs up A fellow extremist!

Originally Posted by Kevin A View Post
I must be extreme, but I usually carry about 110 feet of water hose (1 x 10', 2 x 25' and 1 x 50').

I also carry 150' of electric cord!

We travel prepared!
We have 1 x 10', 2 x 25', and 1 x 50' of water hose, and 100' of heavy duty electric extension cord. While not necessary most of the time, the extra is very handy to have at least once each year.

At the Lake Casitas Rally each October, we try to get the same spot each year, #B14, which is a pull-through. The site is designed to have your door side (and awning) face the large central lawn with the street side facing the access road. The Fiber Stream is perfectly level without leveling blocks in that site IF we park it backwards! It is 3" out-of-level from side-to-side parked the "correct" way. I would much rather face the street and be social with everybody!
Click image for larger version

Name:	000_1037.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	407.7 KB
ID:	41701

This puts the parks electric/water/cable hook-ups far enough away to need the 50' water hose and the 100' electric and cable TV cords.
Frederick - The Scaleman
1978 Fiber Stream 16 named "Eggstasy" & 1971 Compact Jr. named "Boomerang"
Frederick L. Simson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 08:50 PM   #18
Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Cool Water hose

We also did the standard thing and bought a 25' drinking water quality hose. We used it a couple of times. At our first Taidnapam rally, we were sitting outside the trailer, luckily, when we heard water running. Seems a fitting inside let loose. After that, we bought a pressure regulator, but we still turned the water off when not using it.

Then, up on the Hood Canal, before hooking the hose up, I drew some water into a gallon water jug. What was that in the water? Looking closer, there were several insects swimming, I think one was doing the backstroke. Seems that bugs like the water left in the fittings and it is always a good idea to run some water before hooking to it. Also there is a possibility of local critters, racoons, deer, etc licking the bib for the residual water. And we all know what male dogs do to things sticking up out of the ground... I heard some RV'ers pour a little bleach water into a cup and submerge the bib fitting in this.

Then a fellow I worked with had problems with his hoses at his house. He bought new ones but they always sprung a leak. Then he happened to see that the local racoons had learned that there was a drink to be had just by biting into this long thing!

Anyway, I decided to avoid the whole problem, and we carry two one gallon former apple juice jugs with home water, and fill at filtered water vending machines as required. For dish washing, we get some potable water from the site in our biggest pot, heat it on the stove, put a little dish detergent in the sink, pour a little of the heated water in and do it, using the water left in the pot for rinsing. This avoids the dangers of the rig springing a leak while we are gone or having critters in our plumbing.
A charter member of the Buffalo Plaid Brigade!

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 11:00 AM   #19
Name: Noreen
Trailer: 1981 4500 Trillium
I LOVE this site!! Although I had my little 13' Trillium for about 15 years, I used it basically like a tent......meaning I towed it to wherever and used it mostly for sleeping in. Less than two years ago I 'found' this site. My goodness! The things I've learned since then!

Now I own a 4500 Trillium.....with many more luxuries than my 13' Trill.

All this information about using city water and hooking into the campground water suppy has helped me so much. Information that I didn't even know the questions to ask.......
Noreen Bradshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 03:27 PM   #20
Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft / 2001 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
I use a single 25' self coiling white RV hose. I also have a regular (non-coiling) RV hose which I stopped using, it was hard to drain out all the water and rolled up for traveling without getting my hands and arms dirty, or dropping the ends on the ground making them dirty.

I also carry a self coiling non-drinking water green hose for rinsing off in general, like feet, the sewer hose, etc...
ThomasE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:15 PM   #21
Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
I carry 1 10ft, 2 25ft hoses, a pressure reducer and a splitter. All have quick connects on them in addition to the elbow like Donna's on the trailer.

Here's a picture showing the variety of faucet handles and a water thief, with a quick connect, which I carry. I started carrying them years ago after a stay at a State Park in Pismo CA. All the faucets there had no handles. In order to fill my tank I used a vise grip on the faucet. It struck me that using the vise grip or any other wrench might not be a good idea as I could damage the faucet. As soon as I got home I went to all the hardware and plumbing supply stores in my town I purchased every possible handle and faucet wrench.
Attached Thumbnails
water faucet handles & water thief.JPG  
Joy A. & Lily
and "Puff", too
No. Ca. Sierra Foothills
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 12:51 PM   #22
Name: Bill
Trailer: Lil Snoozy / Jeep Cherokee
Is this elbow plastic or brass? Where did you find it. I went to a Home Depot and a Lowes. Neither had one.
Bill in Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 02:03 PM   #23
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Originally Posted by Bill in Pittsburgh View Post
Is this elbow plastic or brass? Where did you find it. I went to a Home Depot and a Lowes. Neither had one.
Bill, it's brass I bought it at Camping World, but I bet nearly any RV parts place carries them: Water Hose Entry Elbows - Product - Camping World
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 02:09 PM   #24
Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Bill, it's brass I bought it at Camping World, but I bet nearly any RV parts place carries them: Water Hose Entry Elbows - Product - Camping World

Including Wal-Mart.
Byron & Anne enjoying the everyday Saturday thing.
Byron Kinnaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 02:42 PM   #25
Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
I have nothing plastic, the elbow and quick connects are brass. The water thief is rubber as it's made to simply slip on a non-theaded faucet. My thief has a hose clamp to secure it as the thief can come off with excessive water pressure.
Joy A. & Lily
and "Puff", too
No. Ca. Sierra Foothills
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 07:34 PM   #26
Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
First of all, here is a thread that I started about 17 months ago: Fresh Water Sources It really took on a life of its own, and addressed many of the issues in this thread. Joy A. contributed heavily to this thread and I used pretty much all of her suggestions.

I bought all my RV water stuff from Wall Mart and Camping World.

I have a 25 Ft , a 20 ft and two 10 ft fresh water hose. Per Joy A.'s suggestion I have quick connects on all the hoses. That makes it very easy to put 2 or more together if I need extra length. I have only been at one camp site where the 25 foot hose stretched all the way, but I didn't anything longer. Most of the time the 10 or 20 ft hoses work just fine. I suppose it is possible to need more than 50 ft, but I can't imagine that happening all that much!

I also have a water pressure regulator, an elbow and water spliter. All metal and designed for RV use, and bought at either WalMart or Campers World. The white RV hoses are particularly economical at WalMart. As are the quick connects.

I once used a plastic spliter provided by a camp ground I stayed at, but found it wanting. So, I always use my own stuff.

I also carry a water filter which I found invaluable a number of times. For instance, I recently hooked up at a friends house, and she recommended that I use my filter as the well water was sandy.

I really didn't pay all that much for these items and they store easily in my trailer. The quick connects do add up, but they are well worth the price as I can put hoses and plumbing hardware together easily and nothing leaks. Once hooked up, I don't have to worry about problems with water pressure, leaking, etc. I can just enjoy myself till time to take down camp.

I also invested about $6 in a leak prof bag for the hoses. That way I can store my wet hoses between camp grounds. When I get home I sanitize and dry air the hoses and hardware used on the road.

One more thing, I recently bought a 25' coiled hose for my black water tank. Many times I found myself at dumping stations that did not provide a hose. This hose takes up virtually no space and is stored with my black water equipment.

'92 Bigfoot 19' | '07 Chevy Tahoe
Jane P. is offline   Reply With Quote