Water Storage with Aquamira - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2016, 01:44 PM   #1

Name: jon
Trailer: Scamp 13
Washington
Water Storage with Aquamira

hi fgrv'rs,
i am going to put my scamp into storage for a couple of months. if i want to leave some water in the fresh water tank, should i use aquamira before storing it or after i retrieve it? and..... what is the ratio of aquamira per gallon?

thanks,
jon s.
sequim, wa
jondsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 02:15 PM   #2

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
I use AquaMira for backpacking and have mentioned it on this forum a couple of times. Both times, it was quickly met with consternation and ridicule, I would expect the same reaction to your inquiry.

When using AquaMira, you must mix part A with part B, then let sit for 5 minutes. Add the mixture to the tank of water. I'm sure the instructions that come with the product will detail how much. For a liter of water, it is 7 drops of part A and 7 drops of part B.

It works well, with little to no taste or smell. More dependable than bleach, since bleach begins to loose it's potency from the time it's manufactured.

Bleach can still is effective for cleaning/disinfecting if you use fresh, additive free bleach.

Added benefit of AquaMira is that it stays in the water and prevents the formation of "slime" in stored/stagnant water. It is this slime that supports the growth of the molds and mildew in the water lines and tank. Bleach will clean the slime/mold/mildew out, AquaMira inhibits it's formation.

If you drink from the stored water, I would flush the system with bleach at the beginning of your season, or once every year or so, just to get rid of all the nasties. Use the AquaMira to keep it clean and pleasant.

Will your storage be climate controlled? You need to protect the water system from freezing if it's not, otherwise it may be damaged.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 04:49 PM   #3

Name: jon
Trailer: Scamp 13
Washington
water storage

thanks lyle,
i've got the idea. it won't be climate controlled but it is usually above freezing here and when it drops below it is for short intervals. i'll give the aquamira a try.
jon s.
sequim, wa
jondsw is offline   Reply With Quote