waterproof stuff sacks? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2014, 07:04 PM   #1

Name: Sharon
Trailer: UHaul
Massachusetts
Registry
waterproof stuff sacks?

I have very few leaks, but there are a few - like when I wash my trailer - and it made me wonder if I should purchase a couple of waterproof stuff sacks to store my sleeping bag and a few other things that I keep in the storage compartments.

I have a U-Haul 13CT. I have my sleeping bag in the storage compartment in the dining area. I also have shade screens/dog things in the front seating area. It might also work for clothes when there is a lot of moisture in the trailer.

Has anyone already done this? Tried it and given up? Recommendations on best sizes?
Sharon D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 07:20 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Do like us, just keep working on those leaks. You want to avoid mildew and mold and water damage to the floor. Took quite some time to find where they originate, then the fix isn't too bad. Rear leaks could be around the marker lights or tail lights. Front leaks again could be the marker lights. We also had roof seam leaks, front window leaks, and another around a door hinge. Sometimes you can run water from a hose to narrow it down, but we've had it happen where no leaks using a hose but rain will leak in. It can get quite frustrating, but don't give up. The water can travel before it shows up making locating the source difficult. If you don't have a source for waterproof sacks check Austin Kayak.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 08:10 PM   #3

New York
Sharon; how far are you from Brattleboro Vermont. There's a vintage camper rally there last weekend in September. We take our Uhaul to this one. Open house Sat. afternoon. No sites available though, this has become a popular event. At the KOA.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:57 PM   #4

Name: Sarah
Trailer: 1984 13' Scamp named "Ramblin Rose"
Texas
Registry
Waterproof sacks for gear that shouldn't get wet are a good idea even without any leaks

However, I'd encourage you to fix what leaks you know you have - no reason to let those remain.
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 06:26 AM   #5

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
You can buy giant Ziploc bags at the big discount stores, and some home improvement stores. Pack of 4, 10 gallons each, bags about 2' x 2', is less than $7. The xxl size, at 20 gallons, is more.
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 07:19 AM   #6

Name: George
Trailer: 85 Uhaul CT 13
North Carolina
I remember well after we first purchased our Uhaul. Every time it rained hard I would head to the camper, flash light in hand on a search and find mission. I'd then make a plan and seal each as I located; been dry now for 3 years.
George Lauver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 07:53 AM   #7

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
Waterproof bags are readily available from camping, canoeing, kyaking stores. Certainly Eastern Mountain Sports has them. Or maybe Gleason's.

My sense that "waterproof" might be a little more than you need. I hope your trailer isn't as wet inside as what a whitewater kyak sees.

I don't know if there is such a thing as a damp proof container but that might be the way to go. Even clothes in a trash bag with a wire tie might suffice.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 09:44 AM   #8

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1982 16 ft
Registry
All I can say is that I use Dry Sacks like those below when canoeing, and things have stayed dry.
Sea to Summit - Outdoor, Travel and Backpacking Gear

On one trip, another party used garbage bags on a relatively calm river, and when we got to the campsite, all their stuff was soaked through. Fortunately it was early enough on a hot summer day to spread stuff out and dry it. If I need to keep it dry, dry sacks is all I will use.

Vic
Victor Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 09:48 AM   #9

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I agree with the others - time and money better spent fixing the leaks.

I use the water tight sacks for kayaking but I use the really large zip lock bags for storing bedding etc in the trailer over the winter - not due to the trailer leaking though. Zip Lock bags are **much** cheaper then dry bags of the same large size.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 11:48 AM   #10

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
The OP was talking about camping, not canoeing. I agree trash bags are not great for canoeing but for camping I suspect dry sacks are a bit of overkill. At worst they're cheap to try. My fault for sidetracking the conversation by a weak attempt at a joke. (That would be what the smiley face was meant to convey.)
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 11:57 AM   #11

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
An alternative ( but not for canoeing ) is "contractor grade" garbage bags. Considerably more expensive than trash bags, but heavy duty.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:59 AM   #12

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
I use ziplock bags for storage inside the camper,although I do not have any problem with dampness,I like to use them for things that don't get used often but need to stay in camper(extra sheets, blankets) Sometimes I just use regular trash type bags.

I don't know what you mean by waterproof bags.....but if you are looking at dry bags that I use for kayaking,then I think they would be overkill for the camper. The other side of that is cost,to buy even small ones is expensive

Happy Camping
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 12:06 PM   #13

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Do a "binary search" for your leaks. Use a hose or watering can to direct water in the broad general area of a leak. Just keep dividing the area that applying water leaks in half and apply water to each half to test. Each test the area that could have the leak get smaller until it becomes pretty clear where the leak is.

Start with bottom of area with leak. Do you find water leaking in? No. Then do the top of that area. Once you find the general area of the leak. Dry the leak on the inside and wet one half of that area. Does more leak in? Then the leak is in that half of the area being tested. Nothing come in, do the other half.

Taking the a leak at the rear, wetting bottom half water comes in then you check left half, nothing then check right half. You will then be able to isolate is it a fitting or tail light on one half of the bottom. Then just apply water to the individual items or half of the area.

On the other hand if applying water to the bottom half does not leak but applying water to the top half does, you know it's not the lights or fittings so your testing left and right is of the top half and will isolate it to half of the window, upper marker lights, rivets or bolts.

Worth remembering water always flows down but can travel sideways if it hits an obstruction. Vent leak that hits a window frame on the way to the floor may go sideways and down window frame.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 12:50 PM   #14

New York
The major factor here is that the Uhauls are notorious leakers. Because of the inner shell those leaks can be very difficult to locate. It can take quite a bit of time, plus considerable expense to resolve all the leaks. Like I said previously, some leaks wouldn't show up using a hose, but would with an all day rain. I know Sharon is working on the leakage issue but until they are all resolved she wants to use her camper and keep her stuff dry. If using some sort of dry bag works for now, go for it. Our temporary solution to keep water out of our Uhaul was a canopy over the whole trailer until after much time spent, along with new windows, we have no more leaks. (fingers crossed here).
Old 08-16-2014, 10:35 AM   #15

Name: Sharon
Trailer: UHaul
Massachusetts
Registry
i went with the ziplock bags. The previous owner put in a air vent for an air conditioner under one of the kitchenette seats and a little water comes in when I wash the trailer. I want to keep a spare sleeping bag in that spot, so I was looking for something to ensure it is dry.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Sharon D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 06:54 AM   #16

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Sharon, If you no longer have a need for the vent, you can probably seal it up with a rubber gasket from behind, across the entire vent, and then solve the leak problem.
If you still use the AC unit, you might try changing out the vent for a lockable access door that will keep out leaks. Or a marine grade deck hatch. You just open the door/hatch when you use the AC. Line the inside of the opening with screening for bugs.

We all love our UHs so much that we view the leak issues as an 'irritating hiccup' of ownership. We seal things up (we think) and then chase down more #&!@*!#% water drips!!

Happy and Dry Camping to you
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 10:03 AM   #17

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Pam it sort of sounds like your saying; to paraphrase Mark Twain, tracking down the hidden leaks in your Uhaul is good for you, it keeps you from being too smug about owning a Uhaul.

For canoe camping I used a nylon water resistant stuff sack, normal variety intended for use when backpacking, but I also had a trash bag inside of that. The nylon protected the trash bag from tears and rips which formed a second water barrier. Kept it dry when the canoe rolled in some rapids.

Camp dry spray used to water proof nylon rain fly or tent can increase the water resistance of nylon stuff sack.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 06:52 PM   #18

Name: brodie
Trailer: 1976 boler
Ontario
go on the bass pro shops website and search it in the search bar they come in a few different sizes and they work great and they sell for a great price!
brodie4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 08:02 PM   #19

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
I just picked up a spray bottle of NEVER WET make by Rustoleum at the Home Depot. I sheds water like a duck.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 09:56 PM   #20

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I would be careful with sealed bags of any kind. Any moisture that gets sealed in stays in and mildew can result. If you're using a sealed plastic bag you'll want to pull the sleeping bag out to air periodically, my ques is at least once a week. The other option is get some desiccant to put into plastic bag with the sleeping bag. Then would only need to air it out every few months and replace the desiccant.