waterproof stuff sacks? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-16-2014, 10:35 AM   #15
Name: Sharon
Trailer: UHaul
i went with the ziplock bags. The previous owner put in a air vent for an air conditioner under one of the kitchenette seats and a little water comes in when I wash the trailer. I want to keep a spare sleeping bag in that spot, so I was looking for something to ensure it is dry.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV

Sharon D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 06:54 AM   #16
Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Sharon, If you no longer have a need for the vent, you can probably seal it up with a rubber gasket from behind, across the entire vent, and then solve the leak problem.
If you still use the AC unit, you might try changing out the vent for a lockable access door that will keep out leaks. Or a marine grade deck hatch. You just open the door/hatch when you use the AC. Line the inside of the opening with screening for bugs.

We all love our UHs so much that we view the leak issues as an 'irritating hiccup' of ownership. We seal things up (we think) and then chase down more #&!@*!#% water drips!!

Happy and Dry Camping to you

Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 10:03 AM   #17
Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Pam it sort of sounds like your saying; to paraphrase Mark Twain, tracking down the hidden leaks in your Uhaul is good for you, it keeps you from being too smug about owning a Uhaul.

For canoe camping I used a nylon water resistant stuff sack, normal variety intended for use when backpacking, but I also had a trash bag inside of that. The nylon protected the trash bag from tears and rips which formed a second water barrier. Kept it dry when the canoe rolled in some rapids.

Camp dry spray used to water proof nylon rain fly or tent can increase the water resistance of nylon stuff sack.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 06:52 PM   #18
Name: brodie
Trailer: 1976 boler
go on the bass pro shops website and search it in the search bar they come in a few different sizes and they work great and they sell for a great price!
brodie4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 08:02 PM   #19
Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
I just picked up a spray bottle of NEVER WET make by Rustoleum at the Home Depot. I sheds water like a duck.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 09:56 PM   #20
Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
I would be careful with sealed bags of any kind. Any moisture that gets sealed in stays in and mildew can result. If you're using a sealed plastic bag you'll want to pull the sleeping bag out to air periodically, my ques is at least once a week. The other option is get some desiccant to put into plastic bag with the sleeping bag. Then would only need to air it out every few months and replace the desiccant.

Byron & Anne enjoying the everyday Saturday thing.
Byron Kinnaman is online now   Reply With Quote