Wave 3 Cat Heater Not Available in Canada - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2010, 08:58 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Hi There Helpful Fiberglass RV'ers,

I had previously hoped that my old Wagonmaster furnace was repairable. Alas... the RV shop has done a number on it and they say it's toast. We would really like to install a Wave 3, but it has been slated as "unavailable in Canada" while it awaits CSA approval. Have anyone in Canada been able to get a hold of one of these lately?

After a rather lengthy and confusing conversation with the folks at the RV repair shop, they also don't think that I'd be able to make an Atwood Everest Star fit either (I think they may be wrong). I believe I've seen photos of these installed on older bolers.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks,

Michelle
Just trying to stay warm in the Yukon... brrr!
Michelle A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 03:27 PM   #2

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
You can probably buy one on eBay and have it shipped.

CSA probably won't approve the Wave 3 anytime soon because it has no oxygen depletion sensor, and is theoretically capable of sucking all the oxygen out of a room (or trailer) if you don't follow the operating instructions that require you crack a window r vent open a certain amount.

The Wave 3100 does have an oxygen sensor, by the way, but there are reasons why a camper might not want the sensor. In order for the sensor to work correctly the gas pilot light jet has to be the right size for the altitude the heater is used, and come calibrated for 0-6000 feet above sea level. Translated, that means the heater will shut off when you camp in the mountains at 6000-7000 feet and above.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 06:30 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 13 ft 2010 ('Ladybug') / 2003 Subaru Forester
Registry
Michelle:

I notice that Canadian Tire has a catalytic heater for sale:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/Sp...%252BHeater.jsp

They do have a branch in Whitehorse.

Would something like this help until you have a better solution?

Brian
Old 03-31-2010, 10:54 PM   #4

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Summer is coming soon. It will warm up.

Every year somebody guts a trailer for some god foresaken reason and sells the parts. Or somebody is selling or parting out a wreck. Keep your eyes posted here and on bolerama, craigslist and ebay for one that always seems to come up.

In the mean time, if you really want one, get a portable heater. I believe there are a few reviews here.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:45 PM   #5

Trailer: 1974 13 ft Boler (built in Earlton
Registry
Quote:
Summer is coming soon. It will warm up.

Every year somebody guts a trailer for some god foresaken reason and sells the parts. Or somebody is selling or parting out a wreck. Keep your eyes posted here and on bolerama, craigslist and ebay for one that always seems to come up.

In the mean time, if you really want one, get a portable heater. I believe there are a few reviews here.
I bought a simular one here in Kingston at Freedom Coach , it cost me $500.00 for a 3000 btu . I'm not sure of the brand name but if you go on facebook and look at my pictures , you will see a close up of that heater . Sorry this site does not allow me to upload pictures . My name Perry Mac Donald .
Perry Mac Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 04:31 PM   #6

Name: Randy J.
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Michelle, I have a similar issue with our '76 Trillium and like you had planned to go with the Olympian or similar heater. My tech told me however that no unvented cat heater could be legally used inside an enclosed RV or trailer. If he finds one installed he is obliged to "red-tag" it. That includes the Canadian Tire varieties. While they are used in some states, our government and the governments of some American states have banned them for enclosed trailers because of the possibility of suffixation if one forgets to provide adequate ventilation. Apparently it happens lots! This is a developing technology and given the demand it seems likely that someone will come up with one that is acceptable. For now I'm getting by with an electric heater which of course necessitates a serviced campsite in the cool weather.
Randy J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 07:19 PM   #7

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
I have a Coleman Black Cat and it heated my former Burro just fine. This catalytic heater has 2 settings, 1500 btu and 3000 btu. I was running it on 1500 btu so the little LP cylinder would last thru the night; at 3000 it would run dry after about 4.5 or 5 hours. If you simply had a flexible propane line with appropriate fitting added to your Boler, you could park the Black Cat in the aisle pointed toward your bed and run it on high using your big LP tank; even in Canada it should keep you warm enough.

WIth such a setup, the cat heater is not permanently installed so no authorities can beef about it. You simply screw it onto the fitting when you are out camping in the cold. Fooey on regs. Just crack your windows open a bit, for sure.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 08:05 PM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
For our 13' Scamp we switched from the Coleman Black Cat to the smaller Coleman Sport Cat, because the Black Cat was to warm for our liking, and it would give us around 8 hours on the 1 pound disposable propane tank. The Sport Cat would keep us warm and give 18 hours on a one pound bottle.
We are now back to using the Black Cat for our larger Lil Snoozy when off grid, and an electric cube heater when plugged in.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 02:51 PM   #9

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
One in kijiji:
Brand New, Never used Olympian wave 3 Catalytic RV heater. | parts, accessories | Calgary | Kijiji
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 01:50 PM   #10

Name: Larry & Joyce
Trailer: 1974 Trillium 1300
Fergus Ontario
Registry
The heater shown in the link from David looks a lot like what I have in our Trillium. I bought ours used, but it had a price sticker on it - $374 (new), if I recall correctly (12 years ago) They work great, are nearly soundless & don't use much gas. Ours states it needs 4 sq" of ventillation. So we crack open the roof vent.
Larry Tenhage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 08:55 AM   #11

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Everest Star Furnace

I installed an Everest Star in one corner of my Hunter Compact-II and I believe that the Compact's are even smaller than the Boler.

Used ones should be fairly easy to find in trailers and motorhomes that didn't make it up to, or back, from Alaska. I have been told that the roadside on the Alaska Hiway is sometime littered with them.

But.... as always, be sure to get any used ones checked out by your local furnace guy/lady before installation/use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle A View Post
Hi There Helpful Fiberglass RV'ers,

I had previously hoped that my old Wagonmaster furnace was repairable. Alas... the RV shop has done a number on it and they say it's toast. We would really like to install a Wave 3, but it has been slated as "unavailable in Canada" while it awaits CSA approval. Have anyone in Canada been able to get a hold of one of these lately?

After a rather lengthy and confusing conversation with the folks at the RV repair shop, they also don't think that I'd be able to make an Atwood Everest Star fit either (I think they may be wrong). I believe I've seen photos of these installed on older bolers.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks,

Michelle
Just trying to stay warm in the Yukon... brrr!

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote