Wax? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2018, 01:01 PM   #1

Name: Bat Dude
Trailer: Escape
Michigan
Wax?

Hi all,

Now that we have our new Escape 19 I wanted to wax/protect gel coat finish once the rain stops.

I tried a bevy of products on our Scamp including Turtle Wax, Nu Finish and based on a recommendation from a friend with a FG boat Liquid Glass and told me that Corvette folks also use it.
The later label indicates contains NO WAX.

I do want the leading surfaces to be "bug" resistant so easier to clean after long hauls.

As my father used to say when some big insect smashed on the car windscreen "I bet he doesn't have guts enough to try that again!"

I was less than satisfied with some products on our Scamp as even with ample buffing with the proverbial clean dry cloth (sacrificial T-shirt?) often parts would remain hazy or oxidized after a few weeks.

A second application was often needed for some sections.

Any suggestions out there?

Cheers,

Bat Dude
Old 08-21-2018, 01:26 PM   #2

Name: Farmer Doug
Trailer: Escape 19 2018
Ohio
Just returned home 2 wks ago with new Escape 19 also. After 4400 mile return trip from Escape in Chilliwack BC The bugs were hard and crusty. I spent a long time removing bugs so I wanted to get a coat of wax on our new 19. I have used Meguiar's #56 boat wax on our 2013 Scamp and it worked well, so I used it on the Escape. As an after thought I should have waxed the front when we stopped near Sumas Wa. the first nights.
Doug King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 04:58 PM   #3

Name: Jack
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17FD
Rapides Parish La.
Me personally, I am a big fan of Meguiars Flagship Marine products for fiberglass gel coats...I use their wax, boat wash, instant detailer and rubber/vinyl protectant...all of these prods are specifically made for marine/rv applications...there are other such on market...I like using related products under the idea of their compatibility with each other.......
madjack
madjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 08:31 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quite happy with Rejex; a polymer coating (not wax) that several Corvette nuts swear by. Wipe on, wait until it turns to powder, then wipe off. Takes another 10-12 hours to finish hardening. Absolutely the slickest surface I've ever seen.

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...88x8lkvy_e_p38

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 05:07 PM   #5

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Quite happy with Rejex; a polymer coating (not wax) that several Corvette nuts swear by. Wipe on, wait until it turns to powder, then wipe off. Takes another 10-12 hours to finish hardening. Absolutely the slickest surface I've ever seen.

Looks like they offer two versions of thus. One version is for painted fiberglass, the other is for uncoated fiberglass. So pay attention and get the formula that matches your situation.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 08:40 PM   #6

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Some folks have used Zep floor wax. I used it on my previously owned Burro and it turned put well.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 08:49 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Some folks have used Zep floor wax. I used it on my previously owned Burro and it turned put well.

I hear tofu also shines, for a while.
Old 08-22-2018, 08:59 PM   #8

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I hear tofu also shines, for a while.

Ummm...... Glenn what do you shine with tofu? Or should I not ask?
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 11:24 PM   #9

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Zep works very well on TTs that have lost a bit of the gel coat and a lot easier/faster than using paste wax and that's why I use the Zep too Mike. If I bought a new rig like Bat Dude has......the Zeps use would be years down the road. Time and place for everything .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 08:31 AM   #10

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Zep works very well on TTs that have lost a bit of the gel coat and a lot easier/faster than using paste wax and that's why I use the Zep too Mike. If I bought a new rig like Bat Dude has......the Zeps use would be years down the road. Time and place for everything .

I have seen that stated elsewhere as well. But I don't understand the reason. If Zep protects against UV, is easier to clean and is less work to apply, then what are the advantages to the traditional approach?
Old 08-23-2018, 02:18 PM   #11

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
I have seen that stated elsewhere as well. But I don't understand the reason. If Zep protects against UV, is easier to clean and is less work to apply, then what are the advantages to the traditional approach?
Good question Dave. I'm sure a person could find all kinds of tests, tech info, facts & figures etc to support the many waxing products out there. It may all just boil down to a mindset and what you're comfortable with using . OTOH, with the zillions of comments on the Poli/Zep threads, I've often wondered who first decided to try it on an egg .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 03:49 PM   #12

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
...I've often wondered who first decided to try it on an egg .
Someone who wanted it to shine for a few months so he could sell it, and did not care how it looked in a year or three? Maybe?
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 05:13 PM   #13

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp Deluxe 2007 and 40' Allegro Bus
Send a message via AIM to RSchleder Send a message via Yahoo to RSchleder
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post

I totally AGREE!!!!!!! You cannot beat it for Corvettes or fiberglass RV's. I have used it for several years on my Scamp 13' Deluxe and my C5 Corvette!! It's a bit pricey, however, one bottle with do 3 cars or your RV at least twice.
Old 08-24-2018, 09:02 AM   #14

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Good question Dave. I'm sure a person could find all kinds of tests, tech info, facts & figures etc to support the many waxing products out there. It may all just boil down to a mindset and what you're comfortable with using . OTOH, with the zillions of comments on the Poli/Zep threads, I've often wondered who first decided to try it on an egg .
I would like to see this info. I like source material. If anyone has links to any research or anything objective. Please post.

What I suspect is that vehicle wax is marketed to a group of people who have money and are already so invested in the vehicle that they are less cost sensitive. Where floor wax is marketed to house wives and custodial staff. A more value sensitive consumer group. In Canada, Zep is $30 for 3.78L. More then enough for a life time supply. Good thing it keeps.

Reading this thread:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ell-43004.html
I can't help but wonder why someone would spend much so more and work so much harder, to get a less durable result. Floor wax lasts three to four years, (it is designed to be walked on) comes off easily, with the engine cleaner setting at the wand wash and goes back on with five or six easily applied coats. I walk around the trailer, gently wiping as I go. By the time I get to where I started it is dry and ready for another coat. I am talking about an hour to do all the coats on a Trillium 4500. As others have said, making sure it is clean is the hard part.

Where is the room for debate? Every time I read someone saying that Zep is the wrong product, it is clear that they have not tried it. I have read of yellowing and a messy removal process. What is this based on? My experience, and that of the folks in the thread posted above, is very positive. If you have tried it, and are not happy with the results, please share your experience.
Old 08-24-2018, 10:21 AM   #15

Name: Daniel
Trailer: Sold it
Northern VA
As a boater, I've usually seen people use Collinite Fleet Wax to protect gelcoat.
Dan-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 11:24 AM   #16

Name: Tim
Trailer: 2018 Escape 21'
North Carolina
After 10 years of owning a chalky Casita, and NOW having a brand new 21' Escape, I will tell you:

We are going with 3M's "Perfect-it Boat" products, and so far are very happy with the results.

With your brand-new fiberglass, I'd keep as much wax on it as possible, and try to keep it out of the sun.

I've had personal experience with Zep floor finish as well as PolyGlow. You don't need them at all, or ever, if you keep renewing the wax.

I also had an epic fail with Zep...it's floor finish for the love of Jesus! It's not made to sit outside in the sun. PolyGlow worked wonders for our chalky Casita though. You don't need these though.

Good luck ! ( We love the 21' Escape BTW )
thiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 11:28 AM   #17

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiggins View Post

With your brand-new fiberglass, I'd keep as much wax on it as possible, and try to keep it out of the sun. ..
Yup, along washing to keep the grit off, thats how to maintain the finish.

BTW, time to update your profile (from "looking for...") with the new rig.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 11:49 AM   #18

Name: Steve
Trailer: Bigfoot
Colorado
Registry
Smile

Poli-Glow my Bigfoot 21 three summers ago. No waxing, scrub off insects from 5,000 miles of driving, still looks perfect. People can not believe my trailer is a 2007.
I have purchased many of the referenced premium waxes. They are essentially removed after scrubbing off the bugs and water stains. I got tired of reapplying more wax.
Signed...a very happy Poli-Glow customer.
Zorvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 12:05 PM   #19

Name: Gary
Trailer: Scamp
Mass
Say No to ZEP

So I bought in to the whole ZEP floor polish craze a few years back, and now what I have is a mess. The ZEP coating is like any floor polish, it wears off, but in a very ugly streaky way. In order to recover from that mess I have to strip off all the old ZEP polish. I then intend to just use a marine wax rated for fibeglass.

eggscamper.blogspot.com
Garyscamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 12:08 PM   #20

Name: Randy
Trailer: Scamp 13
Colorado
Lots of good waxes mentioned in these messages. I've tried a bunch of them on my fiberglass Catalina sailboat. That boat would be a worst case scenario for wax protection: Sailboat moored on the water for 3 months straight at 9,000 feet altitude. Lots of sun here in Colorado too. I found the one that worked the best for me was a 3M product. Basically, a boat cleaner/wax. I learned about that one from a "Practical Sailor" test of boat waxes.
Randy701 is offline   Reply With Quote