Waxing and Abrasives - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-13-2013, 01:28 AM   #15

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Norm, I also have an application of RMP approaching two yrs. in the weather and am satisfied with its adhesion, dirt shedding, resistance to staining, transparency, reflectivity, and all around goodness and purity. However, this surface treatment is really a next to last resort for older, weather beaten trailers just short of painting. I would hope that the owners of trailers less than ten yrs. old or even older if kept under cover would not reach for this product due to the evangelical fervor of its supporters. So of course I can imagine those who will not and should not use it.

jack

Old 02-13-2013, 07:41 AM   #16

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Jack,
The surface of our 1991 Scamp was in good condition and took a wax, though did not glow like Red Max. The issue for me was I had to wax every 3 months, at least on our travel schedule.

Now it's been 2 years and counting.

As well, no science here, it seems that dirt releases easily from the Red Max.

I typically wait for a dew laden day and wipe the moisture, dirt and dust off.

This stuff may have a flaw but people are for ever asking how I get the shine expecting I regularly wax it.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:26 AM   #17

Delaware
OK Norm, but when Carol shows up to bang our heads together it won't be pretty.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:09 AM   #18

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
no head bashing! seen enough of that this week at a ski race!

You have clearly expressed my concerns with the contamination of a perfectly good gelcoat finish on a younger trailer with floor wax. As I have mentioned more than once I would not be a happy camper to purchase a trailer that still had a decent gelcoat on it but had been covered with RedMax or equivalent product. Even an older trailer that has been under cover or well taken care can have its shine revived to the same level shine in the same amount of time it takes to floor wax it by using products that where actually designed for use of fiberglass without any contamination issues.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:38 PM   #19

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
I do agree with Darwin about abrasives, but:

I guess I must have been living under a rock or something because I was unaware of any controversy regarding Redmax!

What's your recommendation instead, Carol?

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:52 PM   #20

Florida
This summer I intend to strip off our Red Max with ammonia and reclean the rig, partially to see what happens when you strip it and mostly to make it cleaner before I re-apply it.

I have not heard any negatives about its application yet. If one has a clean gel coat no abrasives are involved.

I would love to hear from someone who's had problems.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-13-2013, 02:09 PM   #21

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
I guess I must have been living under a rock or something because I was unaware of any controversy regarding Redmax!

LOL well documented under the Check this out Not Poliglow.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:33 PM   #22

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
LOL well documented under the Check this out Not Poliglow.
I'm not so much interested in the controversy itself as I am in hearing about whatever it is (if anything) that you recommend instead of Redmax...

Thanks!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:38 PM   #23

Name: Owen
Trailer: 1980 Dolphin 14 ft
Alberta
Registry
Norm, You're right! I just checked my fifth wheel and the Dolphin both last weekend, and they are showing a little bit of powder on the sunny side of the trailer, but it wipes off with a flick of the rag. The surface is still shiny, with a minimum of deterioration, and no yellowing.
Owen Lindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:39 PM   #24

Florida
The thread is so long. Can you just state an issue or two.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-13-2013, 02:45 PM   #25

Name: Owen
Trailer: 1980 Dolphin 14 ft
Alberta
Registry
Carol, I'm confused about your reference to a contamination issue. Red Max Pro is a water based polymer product and is easily removed with household ammonia. My gelcoat is 32 years old, and required a lot of fine polishing to remove the chalked material from the surface prior to applying the Red Max. That was almost three years ago.
Owen Lindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:00 PM   #26

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
I'm not so much interested in the controversy itself as I am in hearing about whatever it is (if anything) that you recommend instead of Redmax...
I have had a lot of success with using 3M marine products on a number of badly oxidized boats and well as my 21 year old trailer when I got it. Only have to do a good polishing with the compounding product once and then after that keep the trailer/boat well waxed each year and you shouldn't need to do it again for many years - been 5 since I did mine only used their consumer product and I get lots of complements on the trailers shine - even when parked next to a Redmax finished trailer. For lightly oxidized trailers their consumer Restore and Wax product works well and takes off stains and streaks easily and one $17 bottle will do a whole trailer easily - its what I used on my trailer when I first got it. Best results with a power buffer & wool pad but a micro fiber cloth will work as well. For light oxidization or stains they also have a Marine Cleaner and Wax that does the job.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:02 PM   #27

Delaware
Summation of issues with floor wax as surface protectant or topcoat on polyester gel coat:
1) are there purpose-designed products for fiberglass boats and trailers which are less work and produce equal or better results?
2) does the appearance of the floor waxes adopt a "yellow" color cast over time?
3) are the polymer floor waxes so difficult to remove as to promote the probability that stubborn residue would prevent adhesion of spray paint?

There are other minor questions concerning technique of prep and application of RMP and similar in the thread cited. They are of major interest to proponents of the floor wax cure for oxidized and stained gelcoat.

jack
Old 02-13-2013, 03:47 PM   #28

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
This summer I intend to strip off our Red Max with ammonia and reclean the rig, partially to see what happens when you strip it and mostly to make it cleaner before I re-apply it.

I have not heard any negatives about its application yet. If one has a clean gel coat no abrasives are involved.

I would love to hear from someone who's had problems.

Norm; I put Polyglo not Red maxx or the equivalent on my VT that has been painted. In reading the ingredients ,my chemistry backround would indicate that they are very similar products. In any event i followed the Polyglo instructions of cleaning with their product and putting on a yearly seal. after 3 years I noticed that the reseal was incorporating dirt into the finish as I applied the Poly Glo coat. It was still shiny but the white was not as white and you could see variations in the color.
I decided to strip it and go with red Maxx. I started at the top with regular ammonia and it worked well. the issue was as the stripped material ran down the side of the trailer it dried Incorporating the dirt making ugly streaks, as I worked down to these areas Ammonia wouldn't touch it. I tried using Oxalic acid and a green scrub pad but couldn't get it off very well.
Long story short Buy the red max stripper. It takes everything off and after a little scrubbing you are ready for the 4-5 coat application it takes to keep it Shiny.
I typically put polymer/nano wax over the top once a year but that is just my preference as the wax makes it a little easier to remove the fine black dust we have in our neck of the woods.
Michael J.