Waxing the top? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2016, 11:15 AM   #1

Name: Teresa
Trailer: Scamp
New York
Thumbs up Waxing the top?

I am about to clean and wax my fifth-wheel Scamp for the first time. Probably a silly question - do I need to get on a ladder and do the top as well? Also - what do you all think about covering her for the winter? I am in New York. I am storing her on concrete - do I need to do something about the tires? Pull her up on wood or plastic?
terrinolte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 11:38 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Waxing the top?

The top is the most important part. I wax every six months, and the wax from the last time is usually completely gone on top, while the lower shell still beads nicely. If time and energy permit, I do a second coat on top.

You might attach a padded board to the top of your ladder to spread the weight to lean it against the loft.

As to the tires, I'm in favor of raising the trailer up on jack stands in storage. Keeps the tires from developing a flat spot, allows you to give the wheels a spin every now and then, and keeps the rubber in the axle from taking a set in a compressed state.

To cover or not to cover... that is the question... I don't.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 11:16 AM   #3

Name: Bill
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Massachusetts
Registry
Waxing and Wheels

Waxing is important, especially the top. Do it however you can. As Jon said, two coats on the top are better than one, though he has a lot more sun especially since he doesn't cover his.

As for covered storage. I would cover in your case. Notice 'Jon in AZ' is probably from Arizona where they do not get the temperature extremes and humidity you will get in NY and as I do in Mass. I can fortunately keep my Scamp in a barn for winter storage. But the barn is not tight and even then after a cold night turning to a warm humid or rainy day, every piece of metal, nut, bolt, screw, etc. becomes totally wet, though not as bad as being outside. I therefore put my Scamp on jack stands under the axle tube, remove the wheels and store them and put a large grocery bag over the brake drums with the handles tied tightly behind the brake backing plate. The brakes always work in the spring and I am happy.
BillF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 12:38 PM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I ALWAYS wax the top as mentioned. It gets the most sun and weathering.

I jack my Scamp up to keep the wheels off the ground. I have some new Maxxis tires and I will be removing the wheels for winter storage this year and keep them inside.

I too spin the wheels occasionally. I do not put my drums/hubs in bags because of the condensation that can be trapped inside. Have you ever noticed condensate in the bags Bill?
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 06:44 PM   #5

Name: phil
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
roof wax

I also put 2 coats of Mother's carnauba paste wax on the roof and 1 on the lower body. I cover my trailer and have 2 dry-z-air units inside that I empty every 2 months or less when they are full. Tires I don't bother but I do spray the rims with wd 40 or Canadian Tire anti rust spray. So far so good in the rust belt here in Vancouver.....Phil.
durb747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 08:41 AM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillF View Post
... I therefore put my Scamp on jack stands under the axle tube...
That's a no-no, at least according to Scamp and the axle manufacturer. A rubber torsion axle is different than a conventional leaf spring axle. The axle tube is fairly thin metal, and if it gets bent, wheel alignment and tire wear could be affected.

Scamp says to put them on the main frame rails behind the axle.

Some do it your way, Bill, and nothing bad happens. But in this case I see no compelling reason not to follow the instructions. There's a section of nice, sturdy 2"x3" box frame behind the axle to park it on.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote