weight of trailer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2003, 10:01 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
weight of trailer

Hello. We recently purchased a 1960's fiberstream, 16' long, our first ever trailer.

We have already pulled it using my partner's Toyota 4-runner, but I'd like to know if I can pull it using my Toyota Previa, which supposedly can pull up to 3500 pounds. I can't find anywhere how much this thing weighs. Any estimates?

Thanks!

Danae Steele
Olympia, WA

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 11:19 AM   #2

Benita has a Fiberstream.
I did a search with Benita in the username box and stream in the text box. Didn't put fiberstream because some type fiber stream.

The search function I'm talking about is upper right corner of just about any page on the forum.
Give that a try. Hope that works for you

Old 08-03-2003, 11:52 AM   #3

If your Previa is rated for 3500lbs, my guess would be that it's fine. If you use the weight of the other small FG rigs out there, or even some of the heavier stick built models, they come in under that.

From what I have experienced, it's not so much the weight of the trailer that is the problem with towing, it's all the "stuff" that is loaded into it. There was a thread on this around here somewhere too.

Good luck with your new FiberStream!

Old 08-03-2003, 01:14 PM   #4

weight

Danae:

For $7.00 you can weigh it at a truck stop that has the big "Cat Scales" sign. Or use a public scale. It's the only way to know the accurate weight.

Check to see if the trailer has electric brakes. There'll be wires coming out of the backing plate at the hub. If your trailer (loaded) is over 2,000lbs you should have brakes. A brake controller is about $150 to have installed on your car. :)

Old 08-04-2003, 09:52 PM   #5

Hi Danae,

Congratulations on your Fiber Stream.

The only way to know what a trailer weighs is to weigh it. Whatever is published in the manual is standard for all similar model trailers produced by the manufacturer. That rating does not take into consideration the options you may have, furnace, AC, awning, bath, water tanks, extra propane and so on. Plus on a trailer that old, it is possible that customizations and upgrades have been undertaken that will also add extra weight.

My trailer weighs 2,250 with some personal stuff inside it. It is comparable in weight with a 16ft Casita Deluxe.

I think yours is the oldest moving Fiber Stream on the board. If you have pictures post them.

Old 08-05-2003, 06:07 PM   #6

Danae

FWIW: I had no idea that Fiber Streams were produced in the 60's. That means that they were in production for about 20 years - more or less.

The newest Fiber Stream on the board is a 1984. Mine is a 1982. What year trailer do you have? Is it also dual axled? Pictures would be nice.

Old 08-05-2003, 07:22 PM   #7

Number of axles.

Good question, Benita. I'd like to know that also. Perhaps since it is a 16' it is only a single axle.

Isn't yours a 17' with a tandem?

Tags
weighing, weight