Welding Frame back together - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-22-2008, 05:33 AM   #15
Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
In this case, I believe the repair is OK, although an angled or fish plate would have been even better. The original frame failed at the bend and the repair looks much stronger than the original at the bend where the forces are focused. If the frame had failed in the middle of a straight run, then a taper/angle/fish plate would be needed.

Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 08:36 PM   #16
Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
mine was actually done inside, outside and underneath the first time.

The guy in Norco boxed around the frame at the A and well beyond. He used an angled bit out front which wrapped around under, and a straight bit behind.

Sorry, I was not implying that yours was done totally incorrectly and needed to be redone, I was relaying info I have gotten from many certified welders on the subject.

Welders LOVE to trash each others work (I haven't a clue why.. must be industry fun) but each welder that saw the job done on mine had nothing but compliments on it. That says a lot.

Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 05:21 PM   #17
Name: Rob
Trailer: Triple E Surfside
Nova Scotia

I had the frame on my '78 TripleE break this summer, like yours, while I was on vacation in Newfoundland... Fortunately I was able to track down some "good old boys" to weld it back together with a small plate, that got me home.
NOW, I have to figure out what to do. It "seems" fine, but I feel lucky that nothing more serious happened when it broke. It just drove "funny" kind of wobbly at higher speeds.
Should I have it re-welded by a pro?
What about the other arm? I kind of assume it is ok, since I ended up driving about 10km with the other one broken, which would have resulted in double the stress on the one remaining arm. Is there any sense BOLTING a "safety" plate along the existing frame just in case? (will bolts weaken the frame too much).
Any thoughts from the community here would be most welcome.

Rob vanNostrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 03:44 PM   #18
Trailer: Trillium
the old Trilliums used to break as well. I would get both sides done for peace of mind if nothing else.
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 03:54 AM   #19
Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Just get a good welding shop to take a look at the repair and render an opinion.

Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote