well maintenance - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2016, 11:03 AM   #1

Name: Pierre
Trailer: Sidekick 1500 2014
Quebec
well maintenance

I bought my trailer New in 2014. Since then I drove moreless 5 000 miles. Should I cheked wheeels and brakes?
Balou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 11:43 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
How often to service bearings is discussed fairly often here, and opinions vary widely. I used to do it every year, but decided that was probably overkill, since I only tow about 2-3000 miles a year. So now I am on a 2-year schedule.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 12:06 PM   #3

Name: Pierre
Trailer: Sidekick 1500 2014
Quebec
Thank you! I will go to the rv médic.
Balou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 01:17 PM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I bought a new Scamp in 2010. It has nearly 10K miles and I've never pulled a wheel. I was gonna grease through the "E-Z lube" but when I pulled off the rubber cap, the grease that was at the cup on both wheels looked brand new. I placed the caps back over the hubs and kept on trucking.

My wheel's arent "loose" (checking from top to bottom for 'play'), they spin freely and do NOT heat up on the road. I have adjusted the brakes once. I do not full-time and am not on the road continuously. I do occasionally pull 500-1000 miles round-trips. When not in use, I do keep my trailer under a carport and on jacks and spin the wheels as I walk by periodically year-round. I travel "light" on the trailer so there's a huge safety margin on my tires/axle from the factory specs....that DOES make a huge difference on wear-n-tear.

In my opinion, what Dexter recommends > pull the wheels and inspect bearings once a year regardless of the miles- to me is a JOKE! I feel the "average" user stands a MUCH better chance of contaminating the bearings/grease and/or over-tightening the wheels doing this every year. If I'm totally wrong, time will prove it out. 6 yrs/10K Miles and counting.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 07:07 PM   #5

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
If you have 5000 miles on your trailer from new you should have had one simple adjustment to the brakes by now.Initial wear is usually greater to as the brake break-in. Remember your trailer brakes are not self adjusting.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 08:53 PM   #6

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
Check wheel hubs temperature at the end of a travel day. If the bearings are not hot, they are fine. I'm not an usual "camper", I'm a traveler. I never stay 2 days in a row at the same place and I do few hundreds miles a day. Approx 20K miles/year. Once a year I do check/adjust the bearings tolerance, it's very simple task. Just jack up a wheel and check the motion with hands. Repack the bearings or ez-lube yearly.
Old 03-03-2016, 02:25 PM   #7

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
Check wheel hubs temperature at the end of a travel day. If the bearings are not hot, they are fine. I'm not an usual "camper", I'm a traveler. I never stay 2 days in a row at the same place and I do few hundreds miles a day. Approx 20K miles/year. Once a year I do check/adjust the bearings tolerance, it's very simple task. Just jack up a wheel and check the motion with hands. Repack the bearings or ez-lube yearly.

If you are recommending E-Z Lube as a means of servicing the bearings annually, you really should research how they work. If you do, you would probably change your last sentence to "Repack the bearings yearly."

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 03-03-2016, 02:36 PM   #8

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
If you are recommending E-Z Lube as a means of servicing the bearings annually, you really should research how they work. If you do, you would probably change your last sentence to "Repack the bearings yearly."

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
It is quite clear how they work . I repack the bearings by hand only when I service the brakes,the rest of the time I repack them yearly using EZ-Lube.

EZ-Lube either works or it doesn't, empirical evidence says it does.
I take it that you think EZ-Lube is useless?
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote