What are the shower walls made of in a Scamp? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-21-2009, 05:06 PM   #15

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Quote:
Looks like Bubba has worked on a lot of our trailers... I'm almost scared to start taking the panel off because I know it will turn in to more of a project than I'd like!
On the Bubba thing - I like it It somehow helps to make it a bit more of a "yeah, but we've all been there and at least we can joke about it as we clean up the mess" feeling and less of a "darn, they got me" feeling.

On the second part... yeah, you probably should be scared, but I think you should definitely rip it all out and get to the bottom of it. At least I would. But then I cannot stand the thought of hidden things rotting away, and thinking about it would keep me up at night.

Look on the bright side: You got the trailer for a good price, and once you're done with the task, well, it will have been a pain, but you'll be done, and you'll know it's right. Time will have passed exactly as it would have if you had not tackled the whole thing, except you won't have hidden problems.

Raya

Old 01-23-2009, 04:26 PM   #16

Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
I have spoken about the shower area with Scamp several times now as I have wanted to convert my closet into the shower.

They tell me that they simply slap the inside wall material on top of whatever is on the wall already!

In my case it is Rat Fur but as we go back in time I imagine it will be Ensolite and Paper backed Melamine of some kind.

Scamp simply refuses to sell me the shower stall parts saying they do not want to ship them,I am baffled by this?

Anyway I would suggest the Fiberglass Panels as Fred mentioned.
I found them at Lowes and they are very strong and easy to work with and bend.

I would also try to get a good seal of some kind so water can not run down between the shower and the walls regardless of the wall covering.

Scamp told me that the Rat Fur is Waterproof Marine Grade Headliner so it will be OK but the floor underlay is cheesy composite osb board that rots eventually whether resin coated or not.
I would rather be safe than sorry.

Ed

Old 01-23-2009, 08:00 PM   #17

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Scamp simply refuses to sell me the shower stall parts saying they do not want to ship them,I am baffled by this?Ed
I can understand why. My for-pay job is in freight transportation. There are two things that cost the most to ship, and they are at opposite ends of the weight spectrum. Fiberglass (anything) is the number one most expensive. And it all has to do with freight claims. The shipper is responsible for the freight once it is picked up from the shipper. Any damage to the product is then borne by the freight company. I had a fiberglass go cart body shipped from Nashville, TN to Portland, OR in 2003. I paid $400 for the body and it cost me $500 to ship it and that was at MY freight rates. Yes fiberglass parts are shipped all over the place by many different manufacturers. But, they have special contracts with the shippers. Scamp wouldn't have that capacity with a one-off product. They'd need to ship 100s of the same product in a short amount of time to get those special rates.

Now, if you could get someone to pickup the parts you need from Scamp and package/ship the parts themselves to you... you'd save a boatload of money. BUT DON'T TELL THE SHIPPER ITS FIBERGLASS!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 03:34 PM   #18

Trailer: 1991 Scamp 16 ft
I started in on this today since it's so nice out and I can work in the camper without freezing. I removed the window and pulled out the piece of wall in the shower. It appears that it was a piece of that material that they use for pegboard, but without the holes. It was held in place with caulk with a bunch of rope behind the edges as a backer rod.

I am trying to think of what to replace it with. I thought about a nice sheet of aluminum that would go from top to bottom and with a little flange that would go over the top of the shower pan so that water would fall in to the pan and not behind it. I could friction fit the aluminum in place between the outer shell and the sides of the shower. I know they sell some product at Lowes that is a little 'L" shaped roll of adhesive that is meant for use in showers instead of caulk. I may look in to that.

Not too sure about the aluminum though. I don't know if I really want to be seeing some warped image of my naked self every time I take a shower! Will I be fat and short or tall and skinny?

1991 Scamp 16'
Bryan L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 03:54 PM   #19

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Brian L... What about a piece of plastic tile board cut to fit and caulked into place. It is avail at most building supply stores in a sheet. At least it's not reflective!!! In my case that would be great!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Old 02-06-2009, 04:33 PM   #20

Some others mentioned that also and I think I might go that route. It will be cheaper for sure and it will look better after it gets wet and water dries on it leaving spots. Aluminum would be a nightmare to keep clean. The one thing I liked about the aluminum was being able to make a "lip" to go over the top edge of the shower pan so that water would drain in to the shower pan and not just sit on this huge bunch of caulk between where the shower wall goes behind the pan. I'll head to Lowes tomorrow and see what they have for options.

1991 Scamp 16'
Old 02-06-2009, 08:58 PM   #21

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
I can't see exactly what you're dealing with, but if you do go with a fiberglass panel, and you can't find a better way to deal with the need for a lip, you could add your own lip in fiberglass (to the pre-made panel). It'd be a bit messy and fussy, but it's doable. Probably there's a better way though.

One note is that some of those "tile" panels are (I believe) some kind of plastic coating on a fiberboard backing. I wouldn't recommend those, but would instead lok for a solid fiberglass panel. I'm prettty sure I've seen them there in "pebble" finish; I think you can get glossy too, although it might be somethin you'd have to order.

Or you might be able to get them online at someplace like McMaster-Carr. These would be able to be rolled up and shipped as tubes, I'm pretty sure.

Raya
Old 02-07-2009, 10:04 PM   #22

Name: Tom
Trailer: 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Texas
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
I would use Marlite FRP (fiberglass reinforced polyester) for the walls. Home Depot and Lowes sell it in 4' x 8' sheets. It's used on the walls of commercial kitchens and public bathrooms. Pebble finish on one side and smooth on the other side.

http://www.fvvleck.com/marlite.cci
Old 02-07-2009, 11:00 PM   #23

Quote:
I would use Marlite FRP (fiberglass reinforced polyester) for the walls. Home Depot and Lowes sell it in 4' x 8' sheets. It's used on the walls of commercial kitchens and public bathrooms. Pebble finish on one side and smooth on the other side.

http://www.fvvleck.com/marlite.cci
Ha, that is exactly what I picked up today at Lowes. I'm not too fond of the pebble side but the smooth side should work great. I liked the tile board but it was a wood product so I stayed away from it. I was worried about a little water getting in to the wrong side and it swelling up like a balloon.

1991 Scamp 16'
Old 10-12-2015, 08:47 PM   #24

Name: George
Trailer: Scamp 16'
British Columbia
Bryan, just wondering how Marlite turned out for you? I finally took a leap of faith, and picked up an 81 Scamp 16' last week. Adding a shower and toilet is my next project before the winter comes. I also read Rhalford's post on his adding shower post (Adding shower | Scamp Owners International). He used marine paint, but I just don't have the skills to cut out the wood panels like he did.
Old 10-13-2015, 10:41 PM   #25

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Trostel View Post

Marlite Slatwall from FV Vleck
My trailer was supplied to the original owner without toilet and shower, he later changed his mind and installed a bath! He used the pebble finished Marlite and it appears to have held up well in the eleven years that I have owned the trailer.
Old 10-14-2015, 07:00 AM   #26

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Here is a picture of the bath I added to my Scamp. I used the FRP from Lowe's.

Old 10-14-2015, 09:19 AM   #27

Name: George
Trailer: Scamp 16'
British Columbia
Thank you, Dennis and redbarron55. I will check out the Marlite/FRP at the store. Quick question to redbarron55, did you install the shower pan? If so, where did you order it from? What about the white trim for the bathroom window? Thanks so much.
Old 10-14-2015, 10:26 AM   #28

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
The shower/bath pan was bought off craigslist and I think it was for a Transvan conversion. I bought it with the toilet as a package. It measures about 24" X 37".
The white trim for the window is the trim that was with the window that was installed in the old side bath and I cleaned it and painted it with Epoxy white appliance paint in a rattle can.
The bath is mostly a flat wrap except for where the wall curves slightly in the left upper side. I added some wooden bars across the wall and trimmed the original curved bracing for a "flat" wall from side to side. It does curve from the bottom to the top to give the illusion of more space. It is backed up with 1/4" plywood screwed to those added wooden members. The window helps hold the wall in place. I have not yet finished with the bath. I sealed the corners with a small bead of caulk and I think I will add the bath and shower corner trim from Lowe's. I may not since it looks pretty good now and the stick on seal tape can look pretty ratty after a while.

This is what it looked like when I fitted it to the new frame I built.

Something like one of these.

- RV Windows

If I had this to do over again I would not cut the shower drain, but rather fabricate a drain "slot" at the low point to feed the filter and pump to keep the "P" trap from being so low. I don't think the trap is necessary with the back pressure valves in the pump.

Tags
scamp