What are the shower walls made of in a Scamp? - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-18-2009, 12:17 AM   #1

Trailer: 1991 Scamp 16 ft
After just purchasing a 16 foot Scamp and noticing some water in the shower after a snowfall and subsequent melting, I found my first leak! It looks like it is coming in at the top of the shower window as there appears to be a bit of cracking there - almost a puncture. This has resulted in the inside of the shower wall deforming a bit. It looks like if i was to use the shower as-is that water could get in between the shower wall and the exterior wall through this deformity that has occured. What material is used for the outermost wall? I'm just curious as to how difficult this will be to replace.

1991 Scamp 16'
Bryan L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 11:05 AM   #2

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Ummmm.... wouldn't the outermost wall be... fiberglass?

How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 11:37 AM   #3

Quote:
Ummmm.... wouldn't the outermost wall be... fiberglass?
I'm talking about the wall inside the shower that is on the inside of the exterior walls Ha, since I'm here I realize what the trailer is made of!

1991 Scamp 16'
Old 01-18-2009, 12:46 PM   #4

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
I'm not certain what it is in my 1988 Scamp. Almost looks like pebbly ensolite. It's definitely got a foam backing because I can press against it and it moves like it's padded It's probably closed cell vs open cell of a regular sponge and top coated with a vinyl-like substance. Maybe too, what you should be concerned about is the floor under the shower pan. If it's been leaking long, water has probably run down between this shower wall and the outside wall to the floor. I'd check for dry rot

If you take it out are you considering replacing with formica (like the other walls)? Or, replacing with the same?

May be a call to Scamp is in order? Let us know what you find out, inquiring minds want to know
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 03:29 PM   #5

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
If the outer-inner walls are Ensolite, and you end up taking them apart to get to the root of the problem, I know I've read a thread on the board here showing how you can buy a new shower enclosure from Scamp and fit it in. If I was interpreting correctly, the new enclosure you'd get from Scamp would be molded fiberglass, and would basically "drop in." I think I might go that route if the existing walls are not hard, molded fiberglass.

Can you post photos of what you've got now?

Raya
Old 01-18-2009, 03:34 PM   #6

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
I know I've read a thread on the board here showing how you can buy a new shower enclosure from Scamp and fit it in.
Adding factory Shower stall to Scamp, installing fiberglass tub and shower surround to front bath Scamps
Old 01-18-2009, 03:35 PM   #7

Trailer: Bigfoot
Bryan,

My 97 Scamp seems to use a melamine coated paper-backed product. Something like a Formica type product. Call Ken at Scamp and he will be able to tell you what it is and what to do to replace it.

If you can dry the outside window frame put a bead of caulk around it. Otherwise drape a tarp over the Scamp until you can get it fixed.

You may also check for missing caps over rivets/screws above the windows.

Good luck.

Nita
Old 01-18-2009, 03:41 PM   #8

California
Registry
Unhappy

Quote:
This has resulted in the inside of the shower wall deforming a bit. It looks like if i was to use the shower as-is that water could get in between the shower wall and the exterior wall through this deformity that has occured.
My concern is that between the inner shower enclosure and the outer Trailer Hull you have layers of reflectix and "ratfur", or whatever is covering the rest of your trailer's interior.

Kurt's Casita has carpet between the inner bathroom shell and the outer Trailer shell, as he found out when he installed his bathroom exhaust fan himself.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Can you post photos of what you've got now?

Raya
Here is what I have right now.

This is the outside where I am concerned about leakage.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Outside.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	17578

The next two are right under the window in the shower. This area is a little spongy but not wet.

Name:	Lower_corner.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	17579

Name:	Lower_corner_closer.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	17580

The last picture is what is happening above the window on the inside. I'm wondering how this happened. Water, but from where?

Name:	Above_window_in_shower.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	17581

Thank you for all of the feedback. I'd prefer to just replace it with whatever was there but maybe there are better options out there. The fiberglass shell sure looks like a slick deal. Maybe the Monday morning work crew will see this and have some more feedback.

1991 Scamp 16'
Old 01-19-2009, 12:46 AM   #10

California
Registry
Thumbs down

Quote:
My 97 Scamp seems to use a melamine coated paper-backed product. Something like a Formica type product.
[b]Yes! Bryan, your pictures look like you have the same as Nita, only yours has peen painted. Above your window the core of this material has gotten wet (probably from the paint job) and swelled up, with the top edge popping out from behind the trim piece. The paint job was a quick cover-up, and probably did more harm than good. The shower "Tile Board" needs to be replaced. I would use sheet fiberglass panel, available from Home Depot.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:29 AM   #11

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Brian L... Looks like you have stumbled on a classic coverup!!! A bad case of the dreaded "previous owners disease". Probably, the window should have been removed, resealed, with Byutl caulking not (silly cone)then replaced!!! This process is time consuming but not difficult... but most prev. own's. do a coverup instead. Now you will have to do this+ replace the wall covering too. Good thing Scamp has a parts dept. you can get material from!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Old 01-19-2009, 10:46 PM   #12

Quote:
Hi: Brian L... Looks like you have stumbled on a classic coverup!!! A bad case of the dreaded "previous owners disease". Probably, the window should have been removed, resealed, with Byutl caulking not (silly cone)then replaced!!! This process is time consuming but not difficult... but most prev. own's. do a coverup instead. Now you will have to do this+ replace the wall covering too. Good thing Scamp has a parts dept. you can get material from!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie

Yes, I think "Bubba" has previously been working on my trailer! He tends to have worked on the old mopeds that I buy too. So, it looks like I can just take this wall off and replace it with some fiberglass panel from my local store. How is this wall attached, I can't remember what I saw today!

1991 Scamp 16'
Old 01-19-2009, 11:26 PM   #13

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Arizona
Bryan,

My PO (previous owner) owned stock in a duct tape manufacturer. Not to mention that he dabbled in adhesive and sealant experimentation. I counted in excess of 12 varieties of adhesives and sealants used on his old AC install when I removed it. Makes me now, but it took a while to achieve personal healing.

Anyway, when you have all that old stuff removed make sure that your flooring hasn't rotted from the leaks under the shower. Good time to do it and make sure the foundation is solid before putting it all back together. One of the vulnerable places on these Scamps is the flooring and rot.

Alf is dead on with the windows. I bought two rolls of 1" wide Butyl Tape and have pulled all my windows and set them back in with fresh butyl. Replaced the roof vent with a new one from Scamp and replaced the front and rear plexi/lock strip windows with all new from Scamp. Drilled out all the rivets and replaced with SS bolts, nuts, and nylon washers per Con's instructions from aways back. Mostly labor, not much cost, but the result is we've been in some donnybrooks and no leaks. Sure beats having to find bean cans in the middle of the night to catch drips.

The nice thing about buying in January is that you have until late April/May to get her ship shape and ready for a rockin camping season.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 01:44 PM   #14

Looks like Bubba has worked on a lot of our trailers. I went and looked at it some more today and the whole situation is really weird. I would almost swear that the piece in question is painted luan. It looks like it is attached to the pan with the acorn nuts but how the top attaches is a mystery. It almost looks like it's just a friction fit with the new panel just sliding in between the side walls of the shower and the outer wall of the trailer. Caulk and go. I'm almost scared to start taking the panel off because I know it will turn in to more of a project than I'd like! I'm going to take the window out and reseal that all up as insurance.

1991 Scamp 16'

Tags
scamp