What are these for? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2016, 07:00 AM   #1

Name: Robert
Trailer: Boler
Idaho
What are these for?

I am new to owning a fiberglass rv so this may be a stupid question but...what are these used for? There is one in the front, one in the back, and two on the drivers side...none on the passenger side. Thanks!

Note. Picture is upside down. Loop faces up
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Robert208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 07:11 AM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert208 View Post
I am new to owning a fiberglass rv so this may be a stupid question but...what are these used for? There is one in the front, one in the back, and two on the drivers side...none on the passenger side. Thanks!

Are those on the belly band? Looks like maybe something a previous owner added for some unknown reason. Could be anything from hold downs for a cover to some sort of awning supports (although none on the passenger side might rule that out).
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 08:02 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
What are these for?

Agree- could be anything. Some folks attach an ordinary flat tarp to the trailer and tie it across the top, using poles and guy ropes on the door side. That's my guess. I'll even go out on a limb- I'll bet it had four grommets on the edge against the trailer!

Looks like they're starting to rust, so it may be best to remove them and fill the holes.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 08:03 AM   #4

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
somebody's solution....

and a pretty good one really....throw a tarp over trailer, secure it to the four points....then tie the loose side of the tarp to trees using long ropes.....must've worked really well I bet
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 08:07 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
What are these for?

Not so well to me. Ropes tend to chafe the shell in the wind, attaching to the outer edge of the belly band is not strong, and flat tarps are loose and noisy in the wind and pool water in the rain.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 08:17 AM   #6
Commercial Member

Trailer: Winnebago
Might be to hang decorative lights.
Larry,C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 08:20 AM   #7

Name: Tom
Trailer: Outfitter truck campper
Colorado
They're called "footman loops" and are just for straps, bungees, ropes, etc. to latch on to. They were standard equipment on my old Willys jeep, although the jeep ones were flatter. But they do the same thing.
TomandCallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 08:37 AM   #8

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Not so well to me. Ropes will tend to chafe the gelcoat in the wind, ...
Bungee might be better but still not good. If OP sees the tell tail marks on the gel-coat then thats a good clue that they were in fact tarp tie-downs. I doubt that the abrasion from rope or bungee would show up on the photo however.
Old 06-06-2016, 09:01 AM   #9

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry,C View Post
Might be to hang decorative lights.
I'm betting this is correct. Too little strength there at the belly band and in those loops for a tarp or much else to tie to. People have had discussions about how to run rope lights or strings of lights around belly band.

Are they good attachment point locations for running light string around camper?

They could also possibly been for attaching / routing a cable for TV or wires for solar or.... what else to people run wires for on a camper while set up?
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 10:27 AM   #10

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Looks handy for tying a canoe up top.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 10:41 AM   #11

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Looks handy for tying a canoe up top.
Catch a bit of wind under the canoe and that's the last you'd see of it. Only memory would be the holes in the trailer where those loops ripped out.
Old 06-06-2016, 07:19 PM   #12

Idaho
Yes they are on the belly band. Old looking with no obvious use. I appreciate your response
Old 06-06-2016, 07:26 PM   #13

Idaho
Thanks all.

The jeep reference is interesting and all comments are appreciated. No abrasions but the previous owner just painted her.
Old 06-06-2016, 07:27 PM   #14

Name: Jay
Trailer: Boler 1300
Ontario
Registry
I had eye bolts through the belly band of my boler when I bought it. I assumed it was to tie a tarp down over the roof when in storage. They were pretty insignificant and there were only four (front and back, both sides). Maybe they were for the same purpose.
Jay H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 01:43 AM   #15

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Yes they are on the belly band. Old looking with no obvious use. I appreciate your response
One thing about using the BB like that is the shell is less likely to leak. No telling what the original idea was, might have been tie points for a 3 pound pooch .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 05:55 AM   #16

Name: Sylvio
Trailer: 1975 Boler
Quebec
Quote:
Robert,

The only way I've found to post "upside up" pictures is to transfer them from my iPad to the computer, turn them around, save them, and use that "modified" picture.

I used to put all my pictures upside down because it was my only option. I'd rather take extra time and avoid the "upside down shame"...
Uncle Cereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 08:35 AM   #17

Name: carolyn
Trailer: 2005 casita sd
Michigan
Gives me the shivers just thinking of that canoe sailing down the road when the hooks give way - and they will!!!
garycarolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 05:15 PM   #18

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Well, in my defense, I couldn't tell from the picture how big or strong they were; visual perspective was somewhat lacking.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 05:24 PM   #19

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Well, in my defense, I couldn't tell from the picture how big or strong they were; visual perspective was somewhat lacking.
In fact without perspective, I thought that perhaps they were attachment points for a hoist so that you could raise the trailer off the floor to work under it. Or if the ceiling were high enough, raise it up to have storage underneath.

OK, I didn't really think that was what they were for.. but for some reason the thought did come to mind.
Old 06-08-2016, 08:30 AM   #20

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Zoomed in as the picture is to show detail does sort of remove context for size. I have used and seen copper and steel/galvanized pipe, cable, and conduit clamps like that enough times that I recognized them, that provided the size perspective.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote