What can you tell from photos in ads? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-29-2009, 07:33 PM   #15

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
The thing that would perhaps turn me off of this particular Boler is it looks like it's been painted with house paint!?!? I mean it matches that wood tongue box. THAT I don't think I'd want to deal with. I'm certainly not adverse to paint, in fact like it on these eggs, but it's got to be the right kind of paint and done well.

Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 08:11 PM   #16
Commercial Member

Name: Deb & Chuck
Trailer: Bigfoot, Boler, Trillium, ECO, U-Haul, Burro, Escape, Trailswest, Compact Jr., Casita, Scamp
Washington
Quote:
The thing that would perhaps turn me off of this particular Boler is it looks like it's been painted with house paint!?!? I mean it matches that wood tongue box. THAT I don't think I'd want to deal with. I'm certainly not adverse to paint, in fact like it on these eggs, but it's got to be the right kind of paint and done well.
Donna,
That Boler looks just like the one we got this summer from Canada. The color is called Prairie Lilly. Ours does not have the wooden box on the front. The door paint color is right. The door is always white.
Chuck

Old 10-29-2009, 08:16 PM   #17

Oregon
See, you can't always tell something by just looking at a picture! Thanks for the clarification.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:41 PM   #18

Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
A few years ago I made a commitment to buy a 16' Casita from a woman in Texas.
I had her take pictures of certain areas and verify the exact condition of the trailer in several specific areas before deciding to buy it.

The pictures went a long way toward helping me decide as I was sure they represented the areas I was concerned about.
I sent a deposit via Fedex Next Day to hold the unit till I could get down there.

So I drove down to San Antonio 16 or so hours one way and when I arrived and found the trailer I could not believe my eyes!

What an absolute hunk of junk!!!
She had somehow managed to capture the photos without revealing the true nature of the condition,I WAS SHOCKED TO SAY THE LEAST.

Things got fairly heated and I could easily see the police being called as I was livid.
I guess she just expected me to accept it all and pay her and tow it away.

That is not what happened.

There was even a Camping World Store less than 1 mile from the location and I was afraid the trailer might not make it that far!

The owner seemed dumbfounded with my reaction and could not understand why I was even upset?

There was another Casita there,17' and much nicer but se refused to work out a deal for that one at all.

I got my deposit back only after threatening her boyfriend with a fight and turned around and left.

some moths later I saw an ebay listing for what was clearly the same trailer but fixed up nicely?
I contacted the seller and he told me of the same exact routine being run on him but he did it anyway and for $1000.00 more than I had agreed to.

He ended up having a new frame made ad after that and many major repairs could not afford to keep the trailer.

Anyway....now i know that I may end up seeing just about anything in person and no matter how careful I have been to qualify the seller as an honest and decent person,I am prepared to walk away if it is not as promised.

It can be a lot of fun but not without its risks.
And this is after buying 5 trailers now ,none local to me.

Each deal has had some issues it seems but that is just part of the adventure I guess.

Good Luck

Ed
Old 10-29-2009, 09:41 PM   #19

Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Washington
Registry
Unhappy

It seems strange to me that they allow that pink blob to show on the front of the counter.

Caveat emptor!

How about getting it back across the border and then licensing it in WA? I would surely check into the hoops you will have to jump through to do that.

Took another look at the door. It doesn't even look like it is the same shape as the opening. I can see the inside edge of the opening at the top rear. Look at the side view of the door opening shape. Notice how it raises at the left side. The door looks like it is horizontal. Maybe it is a replacement door from some other brand.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 11:35 AM   #20

Trailer: 1977 Boler (Orange Sunrise 'Clementine')
Registry
Thanks for all the replies. It has been very enlightening. I think with us being newbies who really don't want a "project," buying something close to home that we can see in person is going to be important. I work in real estate, so I know how photos can be deceiving.

In a way, it's good that none of the really interesting-looking trailers have been close enough for us to buy, as we would prefer to wait for a few months to save more money. I have this sense of urgency to grab every good-looking trailer, though, because I so want to have one for next summer! Patience, patience.
Old 10-31-2009, 11:39 AM   #21

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Arizona
Amy,

You get tons of trailers for sale in WA, OR, Idaho and N. CA that you can get to quickly. I'd recommend being patient and seeing one close by and in person since you are in a very good location for Eggs. If someone is on the East coast or in the Deep South they have very little to go look at and sometimes have to take a gamble.

As we go into winter some of the best buys will present themselves, so you should be able to find what you want easily by spring.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 11:56 AM   #22

Oregon
It's more money, but I think this would be a much better buy than that Boler previously discussed:
1978 Trillium 4500 located on Vancouver Island BC
Old 10-31-2009, 12:43 PM   #23

Registry
That one does look nice. Two major concerns for me would be weight (since we're towing with a Subaru) and the fact that the double bed is permanent. We are a family of three and so need the larger table option. And the price is higher than what we have assumed we would need to spend. I know the value is good for the larger size and good condition, but this is already a big purchase for us in iffy economic times.

Quote:
It's more money, but I think this would be a much better buy than that Boler previously discussed:
1978 Trillium 4500 located on Vancouver Island BC
Old 10-31-2009, 12:45 PM   #24

Registry
Thanks for the reassurance!

Quote:
Amy,

You get tons of trailers for sale in WA, OR, Idaho and N. CA that you can get to quickly. I'd recommend being patient and seeing one close by and in person since you are in a very good location for Eggs. If someone is on the East coast or in the Deep South they have very little to go look at and sometimes have to take a gamble.

As we go into winter some of the best buys will present themselves, so you should be able to find what you want easily by spring.