What Do You Wish You Had in Your Trailer? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2007, 11:08 PM   #1

Trailer: 2003 16 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe Side Dinette
Hi,

We are getting ready to order a new 16' Scamp Side Dinette. I think we will get it pretty loaded as we are planning a life of luxury What things did you not get on your trailer that you wish you had in hindsight. Also what things did you get that you now wish that you hadn't? I am hoping to continue taking advantage of all of your experience.

Thanks!

John
John Blair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 12:18 AM   #2

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I wish I had a bucket full of money.

Instead I have a black hole where all my money goes in!

My new one has everything, literally. You couldn't plop another option in it if you tried, so, I am more in the wish I didn't have mode.

The air conditioner will be a rarely used item. I wish it was a Cat heater with no fan instead of a furnace.

Of the things I DO have that I didn't in the 13, besides the bath.. the double sink has got to be the ticket! I really like it, and it makes clean up so much easier!
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 12:24 AM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

We have an older model, a Fiber Stream, which is no longer made. It's floorplan is a mirror image of a Casita Liberty, flipped front-to-back.

The features it has that I like:
  • Dual Axles
  • 3-Burner Range with gas oven
  • double sink in kitchen
  • Either Twin Beds or King Bed configuration
  • Large Kitchen Window
  • 6'3" interior height
  • "Large" exterior hatch to storage under curbside bunk (27" wide x 9" high)
  • 4 cu. ft. refrigerator (gas/110 volt)
After I bought it I added:
  • Microwave
  • 10' Carefree Fiesta Awning
  • Ceiling mounted TV/VCR (yes it's old, but I'm cheap)
  • Air Conditioner
  • Tinted Windows (Limo Dark)
  • Cable TV connection
  • Back-up Lights
  • Fantastic-Fan
  • Porch Light with inside switch
What I wish it had/What I may add in the future:
  • Roof Vent/Fan in Bathroom
  • 3-Way Refrigerator (gas/110 volt/12 volt DC)
  • Room Darkening Window Shades
What it has that I would rather not have:
  • High-Lift Axles (5" taller than standard)
Old 02-25-2007, 01:04 AM   #4

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp (Egg Salad Annie)
Registry
We bought a used Scamp 5th wheel with everything. I am really glad that it has a Fantastic Fan , The Gas Furnace we never use I am going to take it out and add a Cat heater. Scamp for insurance reasons will not install a Cat heater. We have the big fridge it is nice for boon docking. I wish we did not have Carpet, it is a dirt catcher,easier to sweep and Mop. The deluxe TV antenna we have never used. The AC we rarely use but when we do it is a God send. The Fiberglass trailer gets very warm at times and an AC really is nice then.
What ever you do enjoy the process.
Taylor
Taylor Kissinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 08:11 AM   #5

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
I have a 5th Wheel Standard.. that I bought used... I wish they came with stairs.. but they dont.... I think putting in molded stairs would be alot nicer... Makes for since in redesigning the standard to put a front bathroom in and molding fiberglass stairs...
No furance was put in this one, but I really dont care.. I probably wouldnt use it anyways. I never did with the other one I had..

I had the 16 SD .. you will really love it.... IF i could i would order a 5th wheel with the side dinnette .... think its possible...??
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 10:09 AM   #6

Trailer: 2004 Scamp 13 ft
ballpark - what are those new Scamps going for these days anyway?
Carol A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 10:39 AM   #7

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
One other thing I probably could live without. The batwing antenna.

It's sort of useless, as, when I boondock, there is no TV reception under any circumstance, and when I am in a reception area, most likely it will be in an RV park with a cable hook up. Most reception areas are located in the "city".

I MAY use it when overniting at a Walmart or something, but since it requires 12v power to use, I will most likely forgo it's use in the name of conservation.

It's also another potential leak spot .. I don't like junk drilled through the roof.

We'll have to wait and see. I used it last nite in my driveway.. I got.. NOTHING. I live in a no reception area to start with.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 12:44 PM   #8

Trailer: Fiber Stream
Fred,

I was wondering why you do not like the high lift axles? I also have a FiberStream and sometimes I feel it is to low to the ground.

In order to have the trailer level the top of the trailer ball is only 15" off the ground, then we I add the W/D hitch and the 2 bars for the hitch, the bars are only about 6" above the ground surface.

You really have to keep alert when there is a dip in the road.

Charlie D
Charlie D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 02:52 PM   #9

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp ('Dacha' Russian summer house) / 2006 Tacoma V6
Two comfortable chairs for adults. No dinette bench seats, no gaucho couches. Just a little tilt to the back for comfortable reading. Swiveling would be nice too. When the weather or time is bad, these trailers don't work. I might sell mine after this last trip-windy and cold in Palm Springs-no place to get shelter.
jim munson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 03:14 PM   #10

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
Jim:

Stock seating was torture for me too, so I scoured the office supply places for something I could adapt. No swivel, but with the right footrest height this is really comfortable. We have several days of rain every year in this part of the country, so they will come in handy.
Attached Thumbnails
Trailer_chairs_with_Burro_1_edited_1.jpg  
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 03:47 PM   #11

Registry
Quote:
Fred,
I was wondering why you do not like the high lift axles?
Charlie D
Hi Charlie,
I tow with a 2003 Honda Odyssey LX, and also use a Weight Distributing Hitch.

Click image for larger version

Name:	RRV_1.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	168.5 KB
ID:	6558

I am a short guy (5'6" tall) with a 28" inseam measurement.
The Odyssey's suspension is low, and it fits me well. I was sold on the van the moment when, after the test drive, I could swivel my legs out, and put my feet on the ground while still seated, and then stand up normally and easily.

Also, after 22 years in the scale/weights & measures industry, where most of my work is done on my knees, those knees are starting to wear out.

The top of the Odyssey's hitch receiver is 12 inches from the pavement. I had to adjust my ball & spring arm mount for 6" rise to align with my hitch height. When leveling the trailer at a campsite, invariably I have to raise the door side to where the threshold is usually 20" off the ground. I have bought a set of double pull-out steps for the climb up into the trailer, but have not installed them yet.

I am envious of Ken & Chris Hildner's Fiber Stream that is low enough to practically step right in. Also, my trailer's exposure above the roof of my van must be a factor in my average 14 mpg towing, when others report 16 -17 mpg towing.
Old 02-25-2007, 04:26 PM   #12

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Quote:
I wish I had a bucket full of money.

Instead I have a black hole where all my money goes in!

My new one has everything, literally. You couldn't plop another option in it if you tried, so, I am more in the wish I didn't have mode.

The air conditioner will be a rarely used item. I wish it was a Cat heater with no fan instead of a furnace.

Of the things I DO have that I didn't in the 13, besides the bath.. the double sink has got to be the ticket! I really like it, and it makes clean up so much easier!
LOL
Maybe a goose that laid golden eggs would be more appropriate?
David Schroeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 05:02 PM   #13

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Quote:
ballpark - what are those new Scamps going for these days anyway?
Call their 1-800 number and get some quotes on the three sizes -- Also, they have been known to put some on sale at various times.

One thing Scamp does is not wire for options that one doesn't order, so you might keep that in mind.

Were I ordering a new Scamp, I would definitely ensure that the roof was reinforced for roof a/c, even if I wasn't planning to order a/c -- Plans change and it might make a resale easier later on.

One thing about high-lift axles is that the more even the bottom of the trailer is to the tow vehicle, the less 'air dam' effect occurs in front of the trailer, affecting power and economy.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 05:28 PM   #14

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
This isn't really a "hindsight" thing for me, since we bought used, and the Boler is long out of production.

What I wish I had...
  • more battery capacity (I have group 24)
  • built-in intelligent battery charger
  • better tires
  • more suspension roll stiffness
  • some form of bike rack
What I have already added which was not stock...
  • shock absorbers
  • MaxxFan powered and hooded vent
  • pair of stabilizers immediately behind wheels
  • rock guard for greywater tank
  • external wiring termination box
The "wish" list is really a to-do list, since I expect I will add them all eventually. Some of both my wish list and my other non-original items are not available new on a typical trailer, such as a Scamp.

Quote:
...One thing about high-lift axles is that the more even the bottom of the trailer is to the tow vehicle, the less 'air dam' effect occurs in front of the trailer, affecting power and economy.
Yes, which is why I don't want any higher, and why Frederick would be better off lower. Our vans don't have a foot or more clearance under them, but our trailers do!

(My B1700 is 16" to the top of the ball, 12" to the bottom of the 2"x4" frame, on the stock 4" drop axle and stock-sized 205/75R14 tires).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 07:25 PM   #15

Registry
Thumbs down

Quote:
We are getting ready to order a new [b]16' Scamp Side Dinette.
I think the best feature, for Californians, is PTI registration.
Just make sure it is Titled as a [b]Camp Trailer and not a <strike>Trailer Coach</strike>!
The savings in registration fees will be significant on a new unit.
Old 02-26-2007, 06:33 AM   #16

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I've stated this before...I wish my trailer had every overhead cabinet made! Sigh. Mine has none.

I've never used the Suburban furnace...I don't boondock when I'd need a heater. If I need the heater I'm plugged in and use a cube heater.

I don't need A/C...Oregon parks have trees to park under and there's usually a cool ocean breeze at the beach. But I wish I had a powered vent fan tho.

Mine didn't come with a porch light...I'm going to install one.

Don't know if the new trailers come standard with the rear window as a glass slider...mine is non-opening plexiglass...going to change that too.

I put on an A&E Case Awning...Scamp doesn't sell nor install this awning...but Casita does! So I now have one on my trailer

I'd order with every option I could afford. It will sell faster at a higher price...if and when that time comes. Also stop the nickle and dime mod factor (or is that dollar and five-dollar mod factor )
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 07:10 AM   #17

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: A Cat heater What will they think of next???
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 12:02 PM   #18

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
I wish my trailer had ME in it more often !!!!!
Joe
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 12:39 PM   #19

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

Quote:
I've stated this before...I wish my trailer had every overhead cabinet made! Sigh. Mine has none.

I'd order with every option I could afford. It will sell faster at a higher price...if and when that time comes. Also stop the nickle and dime mod factor (or is that dollar and five-dollar mod factor )
YUP- --shortage of storage space was the biggest gripe the wench and I had.... But, now we have it.... At the same time as the other repairs last year, (dorway, frame, axle, etc) We built cupboards very similar as the Deluxe models have. All the way around in tha back over bed/dinette and a front shelf over the gaucho/bunk. No more suitcases.. (and griping as to whose bag was in the way) Next are drawers under the permanent bed... Larry
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 01:18 PM   #20

Trailer: 1976 13 ft Boler and 1980 Trillium 5500
My whole family is really delighted with our Boler, and there are only a couple things that we wish we had. Our greatest desire is for a complete solar system. We like to boondock, and a solar set-up would be just great for us.
We do use our trailer in cold temps, at least I do, and the Suburban furnace is a God send. It's the old style, with no fan, which is perfect, since it draws no battery power. That said, the other system I would love to have is a hot water radiant heat system, with coils beneath the 'glass floor. That would be the bees-knees and I hope to pull it off some day. Cheers, Alec
Al Stansell is offline   Reply With Quote