what is solution for drooping scamp door handle - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2015, 10:46 PM   #1

Name: jon
Trailer: Scamp 13
Washington
Question what is solution for drooping scamp door handle

hi fgrv'ers,
recently i thought i saw a post related to possible solutions for the sagging scamp door handle. if anyone has ideas to suggest or can point me to the link it would be appreciated. mine is a 2004 13 ft. scamp.

thanks,
jon of sequim
jondsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 12:40 AM   #2

Name: Frank
Trailer: Casita
California
Door Handle

Order one from Scamp $32 complete or $16 for the inside assembly that holds the outside door handle in place.
Old 10-27-2015, 05:54 AM   #3

Name: Roamin’
Trailer: 2018 13’ Scamp Standard, formerly had a 2005 13’ Scamp standard
New Hampshire
four years ago I stretched a bungie cord between the door handle and the door's curtain rod, and it's been there ever since. The door hasn't come open by itself again. Not the most technically correct solution, but works for me. Cheers!
DogHaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 08:02 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
The weight of the door handle banging against the inner latch mechanism as you bounce down the highway is the likely cause of handle sag. I have always understood the outside handle to be the primary culprit, but the bungee cord post implicates the inside handle...

One solution is to mount the outside handle so it points down. That way bouncing does not produce a rotational force on the handle.

One person recently suggested an alternative: mounting the handle facing backward so it balances the inside handle.

Having the door pop open could have a number of causes. I think the most likely is the tongue on the latch not fully extending behind the striker plate. I push hard on the door to fully compress the seal, and when I rotate the handle to the closed position I try to feel whether the latch encounters any resistance. A couple of push-and-tugs, lock the door, and go. I've never had the door pop open, and I've been on some rough roads.

Regarding replacement parts... If just the lock fails, you may be able to source the outside handle locally and avoid Scamp shipping charges. When the lock failed 24 hours before our maiden voyage in our new-used Scamp, I found an identical lever handle at my local RV shop. In a pinch, a square-shaft garage door handle (T-handle or lever style) will work. You'll have to cut the shaft off flush with the inner latch as they're made for thicker doors than the Scamp.

If the inside latch is bad (less common) you'll have to go to Scamp or a vintage trailer supply site. With Scamp it's always best to anticipate future maintenance and order a bunch of stuff at once so the shipping doesn't eat your lunch.

Which reminds me... I need to get a Scamp order in myself...
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 08:34 AM   #5

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doghaus View Post
four years ago I stretched a bungie cord between the door handle and the door's curtain rod, and it's been there ever since. The door hasn't come open by itself again. Not the most technically correct solution, but works for me. Cheers!
I found the same solution to the door coming open while driving.
Old 10-27-2015, 09:40 AM   #6

Trailer: 2002 Scamp 16 ft / 2005 Saturn Vue V6
Had same problem with 2002 16ft. Cause was broken spring inside mechanism. Ordered new complete lock from Scamp. Easy fix.
Steven F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 12:09 PM   #7

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
Ours was hanging limply, so we rotated it 90 degrees so it pointed down. Our final solution was to replace it with a new style door handle/lock made by Fastec industrial (FIC). Saw the detailed description on the Yahoo Scampers forum.
No more trying to find the hole with the pin while trying to lock the door from the inside at night. :-)
Attached Thumbnails
20140728_194226.jpg   PHOTO_20140728_194006.jpg  

PHOTO_20140728_194105.jpg  
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 05:42 PM   #8

Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar1 View Post
Ours was hanging limply, so we rotated it 90 degrees so it pointed down. Our final solution was to replace it with a new style door handle/lock made by Fastec industrial (FIC). Saw the detailed description on the Yahoo Scampers forum.
No more trying to find the hole with the pin while trying to lock the door from the inside at night. :-)
I just added this to my Amazon wish list. This is a project for next summer!

Thanks for sharing!
Old 11-10-2015, 05:24 PM   #9

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Hi John,
I love your door lock and clicked onthe link which took me to Amazon. The photo there doesn't show the back of the lock, or the metal hardware it looks like you bolted to the closet wall? Does the package indeed come with all I see in your photos? If so, a nice deal for $23.60. My Scamp door handle sags some too; always put it down to road vibration.

Thanks for posting,
Wendy
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 05:25 PM   #10

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
John,
Would you also be willing to share how you did the install, tools, etc, and what you ran into for snags, if any?

Wendy
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 07:17 PM   #11

Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampyTime View Post
John,
Would you also be willing to share how you did the install, tools, etc, and what you ran into for snags, if any?

Wendy
I second this! Please!

Tags
scamp