what kind of carpet? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2019, 05:31 PM   #1

Name: Mark
Trailer: Trails West Campster
California
what kind of carpet?

My campster has zero carpet or flooring so I would like to put carpet on the walls and ceiling and I have square tiles to use on the floor but what kind of carpet do I use and where do i buy it from. I am slowly making a list to start buying the stuff to make this usable for summer. Thanks Mark
AstroMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 06:33 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
If you want a cheap and light weight carpet, both Lowes and Home Depot sell a indoor / outdoor carpet made from recycled plastic bottles. Easy to work with and can be attached with contact cement. Don't get too heavy with the cement as it can bleed through. Sold in rolls 6 X 8 feet and possibly by the foot from a big roll. We used it in our Uhaul to cover the seam on the ceiling that is about 16" wide. I think the 6 X 8 roll was about $20.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 06:53 PM   #3

Name: Daniel
Trailer: Sold it
Northern VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
If you want a cheap and light weight carpet, both Lowes and Home Depot sell a indoor / outdoor carpet made from recycled plastic bottles. Easy to work with and can be attached with contact cement. Don't get too heavy with the cement as it can bleed through. Sold in rolls 6 X 8 feet and possibly by the foot from a big roll. We used it in our Uhaul to cover the seam on the ceiling that is about 16" wide. I think the 6 X 8 roll was about $20.
Funny, I was just thinking of this. I got a roll a couple weeks ago to put in my sailboat and another to cover the balcony at the house for my daughter to walk on. It's thin but soft.
Dan-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 05:38 PM   #4

Name: Billy Sharpstick
Trailer: Scamp 13 - 2005
Florida
Registry
(I live in humid Florida) I prefer vinyl plank flooring, and put down throw rugs.(Bathmats with non slip rubber bottoms) that can be removed, dried and cleaned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroMark View Post
My campster has zero carpet or flooring so I would like to put carpet on the walls and ceiling . . .
sharpstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 01:49 AM   #5

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroMark View Post
My campster has zero carpet or flooring so I would like to put carpet on the walls and ceiling and I have square tiles to use on the floor but what kind of carpet do I use and where do i buy it from. I am slowly making a list to start buying the stuff to make this usable for summer. Thanks Mark
Mark, I installed carpet for a couple years after my time in the service. Try to use a light weight carpet that has a pile that lends itself to hiding seams. What we used to call a high/low knap, hid seams very well over the plush or low knap carpets. With the curves in our eggs, I wouldn't want to try gluing up a short knap carpet especially using contact cement that gives you no shift ability once it touches. What ever type of carpet you decide to use, make sure you keep the grain going the same way if it will be in contact together at a seam. Think of a 12' wide roll of carpet, all of it has to be laid in the same direction the length of the roll goes. If a filler piece is put in at a different direction it'll stand out like the part in your hair. With a longer knap you may be OK doing that. FWIW, I've used the plastic thin carpet from the box stores on flat projects but would never consider it for the walls of an egg. OK, that's my 2 cents .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 12:38 PM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
We used a marine headliner, much like Scamp uses, but with a shorter nap. It is very light weight, stretches and conforms well to the curves of the trailer, and by design, it does not absorb moisture, odors, resists mold/mildew and stains. I ordered it from a marine store, and used DAP High Heat Headliner spray glue to keep it in place, as the 3M 77 let loose in the Arizona heat.
Good luck with your building project.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 06:38 AM   #7
JAB

Name: John & Joanne
Trailer: UHaul CT13
New Hampshire
Try "FLOR" carpeting. They come in 20" squares in a variety of colors and designs. They're easy to cut and fit. They ware washable so a spill only requires the removal or replacement of one of the pieces. You can see them on line or order a catalogue. We have them in our home and will be replacing the carpet in our UHaul with them. John
JAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 06:43 AM   #8
JAB

Name: John & Joanne
Trailer: UHaul CT13
New Hampshire
Mark, I just re-read and I see you are asking about the walls and ceiling. Sorry for my confusion. John
JAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 06:52 AM   #9

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
what kind of carpet?

I’ll second Dave’s recommendation. Marine headliner makes a good shell lining. Because it doesn’t have a backing like floor carpet, it conforms more easily to curves. For better sound and thermal insulation, install it over a layer of closed cell foam or foil bubble wrap.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote