What kind of window do we have here and can it be fixed? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2010, 09:47 AM   #1

Name: Heidi
Trailer: Unik 13'
New Brunswick
Registry
What kind of window do we have here and can it be fixed?

Just brought home our "new" 1975 Unik last night and are thrilled to have it. It's our first travel trailer of any kind.

This window in the door can be pushed open and closed manually by handling the actual window, but is there anything I can do to bring it back to how it was originally supposed to work?

I'm open to any suggestions for modifications etc!
Attached Thumbnails
100_0110.JPG   100_0108.JPG  

Heidi H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 10:48 AM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi H View Post
Just brought home our "new" 1975 Unik last night and are thrilled to have it. It's our first travel trailer of any kind.

This window in the door can be pushed open and closed manually by handling the actual window, but is there anything I can do to bring it back to how it was originally supposed to work?

I'm open to any suggestions for modifications etc!
Have you tried to turn the mechanism, or is actually stripped?
The handle is replaceable, try one from another window.
It may be that you are simply overriding it.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 12:51 PM   #3

New Brunswick
Registry
Hi Floyd. Yes I've tried turning the mechanism, nothing happens. I should have mentioned this is the only window of it's kind on our trailer.

Thanks for your thoughts!
Old 08-17-2010, 01:37 PM   #4

Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact Jr
The pic doesn't show detail of the mechanism, however Lowes or HD has a selection of parts that may be usable.
Dave Bese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 12:22 AM   #5

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
It looks like a jalousie/vent type window that is opened by turning the (missing) handle of which the motion is converted in the "operator," which is that blocky/square part in the lower right hand corner of the inside photo. (That then turns something inside that horizontal tube you can see at the bottom of the window.)

As Floyd says, try turning the part that is sticking out (maybe use Vise Grips or something in lieu of a handle), and see if the window operates. That is what looks like a brown "button" in the lower right inside corner. There would normally disc or crank handle on it that you would turn. If it does not do anything when you turn it, the operator may be stripped. They are available for purchase from places like Vintage Trailer Supply, Pelland Enterprises, and Interstate Metals.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:57 AM   #6

New Brunswick
Registry
Raya, I found a very small screwdriver that worked to turn the mechanism from the inside (the whole cylinder portion turns with it), and you can tell the window "wants" to move, as it does move slightly. So I think you're right that it's stripped.

Thanks again to you both. I just ordered a table mount hinge from Vintage Trailer Supply, but I'll surf around there and the other places you mention to see if I can get a replacement part.

Thanks!!
Old 08-18-2010, 12:43 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Cool Manufacturer?

Have you examined the window throughly? Is there a name stamped in it someplace? If you could find a name, that would help your search for spare parts immensly.

OTOH, maybe you could find a replacement. Don't let the production quantities throw you. They may have your size just sitting around as an extra or surplus:

http://www.hehrintl.com/5600rvsize.htm

Of course there are other brands, but you get the idea.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:23 PM   #8

New Brunswick
Registry
Played around with it a little more tonight. The turning mechanism does eventually work on it's own once I help the window open by hand while turning for the first few inches of it opening. I was surprised at how much more it opened as I kept turning.

Anyway, it looks like all I need is a new crank and if I don't find what I need locally, I'll order one from Vintage Trailer Supply.

Thanks all!
Old 08-19-2010, 11:30 PM   #9

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Sounds like you're on your way to a working window I love the jalousie style because you can leave them open in the rain. It's a pleasure to leave "home" and not have to always think "Do I need to completely close up in case it rains?" (Granted in super windy locations this might not hold true, but in a non-open-prairie location I leave mine open all the time and have not had any water come in.)

If Vintage doesn't have what you need, the other places might. Let us know how you make out!

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote