What Paint for a fiberglass trailer? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-10-2005, 03:53 PM   #15

Trailer: 2007 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Out here they call the bed liner material, 'Rhino Lining' My wife has it on the bed of the truck she pulls the horse trailer with. It is extremely durable. But I read on line do not use a dark color on fiberglass because it absorbs the sun and expands and also contracts to much and can ruin the fiberglass integrity.

Old 12-10-2005, 04:22 PM   #16

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
I also looked at that as an alternative when painting mine. Just lifting the box required a crane, so I decided against it. I thought it might add too much weight to the rig.

It does look like it would be a good alternative tho, for those that can spare the weight problem!

Old 12-10-2005, 04:38 PM   #17

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
humm, all the spray on bedliners I've ever seen used are nice looking UNTIL they get dirty. Acid rain, road rash, etc. causes the black to turn a dirty black/brown and the white more of a beige color. It's acceptable for a truck used to hauling stuff, but the front of my trailer...not a chance.

If protecting the front of the trailer from flying rocks and debris was important, I'd consider something like these mud flaps: Road Wing Mud Flaps on my tug. If I was only going to pull the trailer down a freeway vs off-road, I could leave them home for that trip.

I agree with Gina 100%....the spray on stuff is HEAVY. I purchased some DIY stuff that goes on good and sprayed the inside of the front fenders of my classic tug...the difference in weight for those fenders before and after is a bunch!

The attached pic shows these mud flaps on a stand for displaying.
Attached Thumbnails
Mudflaps.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 11:16 PM   #18

West Coast USA
Registry
Wet weight isn't the concern. After hefting the small can at the store, and realizing there was a substantial bit more particulate and mass to this than plain old watery paint, I went a lookin'. I did research and saw this quote on Rhino Liners site.

Q. How much weight is added to my truck?
A. Your Rhino Lining will add between 45 and 65 lbs to the weight of your truck depending on the size of your truck bed.

I figured a rough estimate that my trailers surface was at least 3 large truck bed surfaces. I wouldn't want to add almost 200lbs to my rig.

Haven't weighed my egg since I painted it, but since it took a little less tha 2 gallons, I suspect I may have added a max of 15 lbs, if that.
Old 12-11-2005, 10:34 AM   #19

Trailer: 1992 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
We had our trailer painted by a paintshop that handles Vettes. They looked for the hairline cracks like were mentioned before. They made some repairs and then used a Tri-Coat paint to paint it and used a clear top coat over all.

Nancy
Attached Thumbnails
trailer1.jpg   trailer3.jpg  

trailer4.jpg   trailer2.jpg  

Old 12-11-2005, 08:58 PM   #20

Trailer: Burro 13 ft 1987
We had our Burro painted this summer with an Automotive Enamel topped by a Clear Coat. So far I've got no complaints...

As for Bedliner-type coatings, I recoated the underside and frame the year before with POR15 followed by Herculiner. Easily the messiest, nastiest job I've ever done. The Herculiner has had some fade over the least two seasons but overall has held up very well.
Attached Thumbnails
MFROG4.JPG  
Old 12-11-2005, 09:51 PM   #21

I'm no expert but you have the cleanest looking 87' Burro I've seen.
Old 12-11-2005, 10:25 PM   #22

West Coast USA
Registry
Don'tcha just wanna go up and touch it???
Old 12-12-2005, 01:07 PM   #23

Quote:
Don'tcha just wanna go up and touch it???
Sure, We don't bite...

Up close it is a tad rougher, but I've been really pleased with the look of the paint and logos put on it this summer. It always drew a crowd before but now most people assume it is nearly new. The most amusing moment was when we had a gentleman follow us for several blocks in Ohio and then engage us in a stop-light conversation crammed full of all the questions he could think of in the 60 seconds before the light changed. He was very dissapointed to hear that Burro was defunct.

Gotta get interior looking as good but for now it is hibernating....

- Michael
Old 12-12-2005, 04:28 PM   #24

Name: Myron
Trailer: 19' Escape
NM
Registry
Micheal,

A couple questions: Your Burro looks higher off the ground than my '81. Did you change to 14 inch tires and/or taller suspension? Those hubcaps...13 or 14 inch rims? Where can I get those? Thanks.

Oh, one more...can we see a closer look at your spare tire bracket? I'm about to make myself one.

Lookin' good!
Old 12-12-2005, 05:06 PM   #25

Quote:
Micheal,

A couple questions: Your Burro looks higher off the ground than my '81. Did you change to 14 inch tires and/or taller suspension? Those hubcaps...13 or 14 inch rims? Where can I get those? Thanks.

Oh, one more...can we see a closer look at your spare tire bracket? I'm about to make myself one.

Lookin' good!
The original axle (1500lbs and slightly negative in lift) was replaced with a 2000lb axle with a 22 degree lift from Reliable. Got it from them partly because they were located in Indiana and partly because replacement parts are relatively easy to get from Northern Tool. This lifted the Burro about 4-6" and makes it run very level with my Ford Escape. The Axle has brake flanges but no brakes yet (never did). One of our goals is to get off of the Interstate highways a bit next year so I'll likely get brakes sometime this spring.

Tires are 13", came with the Burro when I bought them (time to get new tires actually as they must be at least 4 years old at this point). I stuck with 13" wheels mostly because I did not want the expense of new wheels/tires at the same time I was doing the axle.

The hubcaps are Stainless Steel Baby Moons from JC Whitney. Pricey (about $80.00 for a set of 4 13") but no rust and I have had a lot of complements on them.

The Spare-Tire bracket was there when I bought the Burro and I believe is original. Not a great design but it works. I'll see if I can a take a picture

- Michael
Old 12-12-2005, 09:07 PM   #26

Trailer: 77 Scamp 13 ft
Well Thanks for all your help on steering me away from that bedliner paint. I have many good reasons not to try it now.

You all are great. Funny thing is you gave all the same reasons the prity girl at the bank turned me doun for a date last week.... Im to heavy, To messy and to UGLY I think she also threw in Old but you all got 3 out of 4 Good job thanks
Old 12-14-2005, 07:05 PM   #27

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
I don't think you got an answer to your original question -- "Which is more durable and economical, epoxy, enamel, urethane or acrylic?"

Since the labor to apply any of these in a professional manner would likely exceed the material cost of the paint, I would expect the most durable would be the most economical in the long run.

In order of material cost (cheapest first) -- alkyd enamel, acrylic enamel, epoxy, urethane.

Alkyd enamel is old technology. You can get it as a floor enamel, possibly for cars. But almost all paints, even at Home Depot have urethane added, or are urethane based. That's good because the urethane has better gloss, flexability, and resistance to chalking.

Acrylic enamel has been the mainstay for auto paints and would be very appropriate for a FGRV.

Epoxy is the toughest and is the most water vapor proof. It has a nice gloss when first applied, but the sun chalks it very quickly.

Urethane has the best gloss, good flexability, and is very tough and chalk proof.

The conclusion for the most durable would be an epoxy primer-undercoat, a urethane color coat and a urethane clear coat. That is what the upper scale auto finishes use, and could be applied by most auto body repair shops.

Another option if cost is of no consequence, would be to go for the three-part urethane that is used on many upper scale yachts. I'm thinking of DuPont Imron and a host of others that are available.

If material cost is a consideration, I would stay with the epoxy primer, especially if there are small crazing cracks, then use acrylic enamel and an acrylic clear coat.

The labor cost for the clear coat shouldn't be too much because a good painter can shoot the clear coat right over the color coat without waiting for the color coat to dry. In fact, that's the best way to do it.

I hope that is a reasonable answer to your original question.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:18 PM   #28

Loren,

Thank you for the information. I am going with an acrylic enamel which does contain urethane. The trailer will be stored inside so as long as I own it, the finish should hold up well.

Gary

Tags
paint, painting