What Paint for a fiberglass trailer? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-16-2005, 12:41 PM   #29

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
I think that is the best all-around combination. As the father of a couple of young professional adults (now) that is what we used to put the new shine on more older cars than I care to think about during their early driving years. It worked great, and several of those cars are still here. The cars are a bit decrepit but the paint is still in excellent shape after 5 - 6 or more years.

Good luck. I think you will be happy with your decision.

Old 09-24-2006, 02:28 PM   #30

Trailer: U-Haul
Being an old retired paint and body man here is my suggestion in the short list.
Imron by Dupont, i have painted tractor & trailer rigs, cars, tour busses, and boats and a few airplanes with this stuff and i have a mg in my garage thats over 30 years old and still lookes like i painted it yesterday.

cracks and crazing is just like your skin with age it does crack best solved with a good sanding and a good urathain primer painted over it to fill in the cracks then top coat it with a 2 part paint , not a 2 coat but a 2 part , i.e. mix a catatlist with the paint and squirt.

here is something that bothere me , every one is calling the outer coat of what ever a "gel coat", wrong!.
It goes like this course fiberglass matte(impregnated with the liquid stuff), fine fiberglass matte(impregnated with the liquid stuff), gel coat (same as a base coat primer) the a top coat paint.

depending on the paint used, dulling and crazing will happen (dulling is abrasion and dirt getting into the pores of the paint), crazing is the base (i.e. the fiberglass body) stretching and shrinking so the outer paint cant stretch at the same rate thus it cracks .
does this help any ?

Old 09-24-2006, 02:45 PM   #31

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
...every one is calling the outer coat of what ever a "gel coat", wrong!...
Terry, the outermost layer of most of our eggs (as built by the factory) is that gelcoat, because there is no paint. A coloured (often white, sort of beige in my case) layer of resin, sprayed in the mould before the resin-impregnated glass fibre, is the only external finish.

Since this topic is about painting, I agree that the factory-applied gelcoat will end up as a primer for the paint finish.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 05:25 PM   #32

Trailer: U-Haul
Quote:
Terry, the outermost layer of most of our eggs (as built by the factory) is that gelcoat, because there is no paint. A coloured (often white, sort of beige in my case) layer of resin, sprayed in the mould before the resin-impregnated glass fibre, is the only external finish.

Since this topic is about painting, I agree that the factory-applied gelcoat will end up as a primer for the paint finish.
[b]well i'll be, i'll have mine by weeks end and if in fact (not doughting your word) it is a gel coat it will be sanded and painted , right quick like, heheh
Old 09-25-2006, 11:38 PM   #33

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
Painting is fine, but is cursed by folks that buy a painted trailer and then want to go back to the Gelcoat finish.....I painted the bottom half of my 13' with Tremclad thru a gun and am fine with that, as I can use a spray bomb for front stone chip touch ups.....Benny
Old 09-26-2006, 09:36 AM   #34

Trailer: Scamp
Based on thread I read ealier, the best DIU paint is: INTERLUX marine paint - Polyurethane Enamel. Its not cheap, but the results looked FAB - leaves no roller marks. I am surprised nobody else mentioned this. I am convinced this is the best way to go for DIU painting. Haven't tried it myself (yet) but I am planning to.
Old 09-26-2006, 02:38 PM   #35

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Painting is fine, but is cursed by folks that buy a painted trailer and then want to go back to the Gelcoat finish.....I painted the bottom half of my 13' with Tremclad thru a gun and am fine with that, as I can use a spray bomb for front stone chip touch ups.....Benny
Probably most folks would have preferred a GOOD paint job...the ones that want to go back typically purchase a trailer with a lousey paint job.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 02:05 PM   #36

Trailer: Cloud 13 ft and Compact Jr
Minnesota
Thumbs up

Quote:
Based on thread I read ealier, the best DIU paint is: INTERLUX marine paint - Polyurethane Enamel. Its not cheap, but the results looked FAB - leaves no roller marks. I am surprised nobody else mentioned this. I am convinced this is the best way to go for DIU painting. Haven't tried it myself (yet) but I am planning to.
Did you ever do the painting? how did it go?
Old 07-04-2009, 08:15 PM   #37

Trailer: 72 Compact Jr
Registry
Quote:

I'm getting ready to paint my Compact Jr and have been reading up on paint topics when I found your comment above. Does this mean that to prep for the painters, I just need to lightly sand off the top layer that shines?

thanks,
Sharyl

ps-the actual painting will be done by an airbrush artist
Old 07-09-2009, 02:05 AM   #38

Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13 ft
I realize this is a pretty old thread, but I thought I'd add a note here in case it turns up in a search...

We painted our Scamp last summer with Interlux Brightside (purchased from a boating store). It wouldn't be confused with a professional paint job, but IIRC it cost us something in the $100 range, and it looked much, much better than it did before (chalky/faded), so we were very satisfied. The Brightside paint was pretty easy to use, following the instructions on the can (and maybe a video their web site?), in spite of that fact that the only thing we'd ever painted was the interior walls of our house.

A couple of things I remember, in case anyone else is considering using it: (Things that are probably really obvious to most everyone else, but weren't obvious to me at the time)

- I could have saved a lot of time fretting about how to apply the paint if I'd done a quick test spot somewhere (such as under the spare tire) that I could just sand off later -- I could have seen how easily the paint leveled and realized how quickly we could apply it.
- Painting when the temps were cooler and/or out of direct sunlight was easier/more forgiving, since the paint didn't dry as fast.
- The brushing liquid was a worthwhile investment to thin the paint a bit. IIRC that's also what we used as the final prep before the paint, to catch any dust/etc.
- For the tipping (I think that's what it's called to smooth out the overlapping paint?), we went through at least 3-4 packages of those cheap foam brushes. They were the thing that (if the paint on them started to dry) could mess things up but were cheap/easy to repace frequently. Keeping an extra small tray of the brushing liquid nearby allowed me to dip a clean brush into the liquid for spots that I needed to smooth out drips. Otherwise, it seemed best just to keep moving as quickly as possible and let the paint level itself out.
- We used a couple of coats of the the primer to cover up some shadows from the decals (discoloration that persisted even after the decals were fully removed). We had to sand it between layers. If we didn't have that discoloration, I don' t think the primer would have been necessary. We had sanded/cleaned up the surface pretty good to start with, and we did about 3 coats of the paint.
- I learned the hard way that if you mess up a little bit or see a drip, don't make more than one attempt to fix it while the paint is still very wet -- otherwise, just leave it alone and sand it later. Otherwise, you'll just make it more difficult to sand later.
- We didn't remove any trim... I wish we'd at least taken the black trim off the door.
- We dripped some paint on the hitch and bumper, so we did a pass with the black outdoor (appliance?) spray paint at the end.

Old 07-12-2009, 12:23 AM   #39

Trailer: Trillium
Quote:
What is the most economical yet durable paint for a fiberglass trailer? Epoxy, enamel, urethane, or acrylic?
I am wanting to paint my newly aquired 1976 13' trillium. Once finished I would like to have something airbrushed onto it. I have phoned around a bit here on vancouver island and can't seem to find someone to do the airbrushing. Any suggestions about where to look?

Mimi in Nanaimo
Old 07-12-2009, 01:21 PM   #40

Trailer: 72 Compact Jr
Registry
Quote:
I am wanting to paint my newly aquired 1976 13' trillium. Once finished I would like to have something airbrushed onto it. I have phoned around a bit here on vancouver island and can't seem to find someone to do the airbrushing. Any suggestions about where to look?

Mimi in Nanaimo
Hi Mimi,

I found my airbrush artist by going to an Auto Detailing shop that has been in business forever. He set me to an auto body shop who contracts out to airbrush airtists for specialty jobs. You can also check around for race car shops, car paint shops and different boat repart shops.

Good luck, and what are you doing? I saw one that was white and looked like they threw paint ballons at it! It looked great
Old 07-15-2009, 06:38 AM   #41

Name: james
Trailer: Boler 1984
Ontario

Click image for larger version

Name:	Emily_July_2008__39__table.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	21684

Painted with Brightsides marine enamel and a roller. Top half now in it's third summer and second summer for th lower half. Doing well.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:59 AM   #42

Name: MJ
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
Any body painted a Honey Boler? Also, are you painting with a brush? How do you prep it? The top (off white) part is cracking a bit Is that fixable? Also where would I buy another back window protector and where would I buy an awning. It's a 1972 13 foot boler. Also, where would I find a new fridge for it. Mine works but the door keep falling off. Oh, an how do I get old decals off and where do I find replacements.

Tags
paint, painting