What to avoid when shopping for a FGC - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-06-2014, 03:31 PM   #15

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyZ View Post
I'm on the trail of a 2003 16' Casita SD that is described as in good shape, everything works etc etc. Sounds like a good deal but maybe a bit too good if you know what I mean. Thoughts?
There are lots of scams out there and if it sounds to good to be true it usually is. One good practise for checking the pricing is to look at Fiberglass-rv-4sale.com sold section to get a feel for what the trailer should be going for. Another way to check on a seller is to google the contact info - i.e. email address or phone number and see how many other cities or trailers the person is attempting to sell ... or the same trailer with different pics and prices etc...

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 03:59 PM   #16

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Basically, if an FGRV looks like a real bargain, and the ad is more than 1 day old and it's still not sold, unless it is 17 miles south of nowhere, it's a scam.

Look at the post I just put up in General Discussions for a Casita "Fresh Water" Special.

Old 10-06-2014, 04:43 PM   #17

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyZ View Post
Thanks Jon in AZ. I'm currently on the trail of a Casita 16' for $2500. Too good to be true?
That may have been the one in Encino that had its ad taken down from being flagged as a scam.

RARE Casita Fresh Water Trailer
Old 10-06-2014, 04:48 PM   #18

Name: Vince
Trailer: Coleman/Fleetwood
Georgia
I emailed the guy and told him I wasn't comfortable with his deal but would accept shipment of the trailer and pay him after all the paperwork had successfully cleared the various channels. Yea right. Like that'll happen.
Old 10-06-2014, 05:01 PM   #19

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
I think Jon put together a good list in the first response. Those are the things to look out for most are not deal breakers IF the price reflects any issues in that list.

I would add tire age. After about 6 or 7 years of the manufacture date stamped on the side wall (may be on the back side) the tires have a greater risk of failure from the rubber degrading from the inside out.

Many don't drive camper enough to wear out the tread but the old rubber won't hold up to several hours of highway. Again not a deal breaker just something to look at and factor in. Might not want to hit the road for a few hundred mile trip back from buying the camper on old tires.

Check that windows function, as do inside and tail lights, water pump and other electrical systems. Old wiring that has been hacked at can be a pain to re-do or expensive if you pay to have it done. If they don't have a usable camper battery bring one or plug into your tow vehicle.
Old 10-06-2014, 05:20 PM   #20

Name: Vince
Trailer: Coleman/Fleetwood
Georgia
Thanks for the info. I especially like the battery idea; never thought about that one.