What to use to fix wheel well leak in Burro??? - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-22-2010, 12:32 PM   #1

Trailer: 17 ft Burro (Dance Hall Edition ''The Casbah'')
Greetings!

I have a 17ft burro that has begun to leak from the right wheel well. I finally figured out why the floor was wet when I sealed up the wheel well with a plastic bag and tyvek tape during a rain storm which kept the area bone dry.

My question is soon it will be rainy season again and I want to fix the situation for good and don't know what to use to seal the leak and where to actually seal it. Ive been under the trailer and it seems like the culprit is actually the fiberglass in the wheel well which looks like some kind of substance was once applied to it probably to rectify the same situation.

Do I use silicone, epoxy, another compound and how best can I do the repair since it is an awkward place inside the wheelwell. I just really would like some expertise in fixing it so I don't hurt my burro.

With much appreciation,

Laurie

Old 07-22-2010, 05:17 PM   #2

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
Greetings!

I have a 17ft burro that has begun to leak from the right wheel well. I finally figured out why the floor was wet when I sealed up the wheel well with a plastic bag and tyvek tape during a rain storm which kept the area bone dry.

My question is soon it will be rainy season again and I want to fix the situation for good and don't know what to use to seal the leak and where to actually seal it. Ive been under the trailer and it seems like the culprit is actually the fiberglass in the wheel well [b]which looks like some kind of substance was once applied to it probably to rectify the same situation.

Do I use silicone, epoxy, another compound and how best can I do the repair since it is an awkward place inside the wheelwell. I just really would like some expertise in fixing it so I don't hurt my burro.

With much appreciation,

Laurie
First, I would remove as much of the previous caulking as possible, especially if it is silicone based, since nothing sticks well to silicone.

Then, I would plug any gaps -- probably use foam rubber based weather stripping, depending on the gap width.

Finally, I would re-caulk it with 3M 5200, the favorite caulk/adhesive among fiberglass boat owners. The stuff is available from marine stores and I've bought it from my local Home Depot. Comes in either a small tube (at a premium price) or in a caulk gun cartridge.

Good luck.

A few years back I had a tire blow at highway speed. It flopped around enough to tear out the back of the wheel well and part of the plywood under the seat as well as a fairly large piece of fiberglass from the side of the trailer. Just using common stuff from HD I was able to make a repair that few would find or even notice if it were pointed out. That is one of the distinct advantages of a fiberglass RV!

Tags
burro