Wheel bearing replacement - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-17-2014, 06:38 AM   #15

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomK View Post
Does anyone know what grease Scamp uses on their trailers? I was just there and forgot to ask. Their manual just states grease them. I had a wheel hub that was hot, but not excessively at the 200 mile mark. They say that is normal, just normal break-in. At the next 300 mile tow, it was too hot to keep my hand on. I want to give it an extra shot or two of grease.

Tom

It shouldn't be that hot. It needs to be inspected, a shot of grease isn't the fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV

Old 08-17-2014, 06:49 AM   #16

Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericw View Post
I was asking about bearing buddy and will not be using them (does not work with my ez lube).

I went to the place where I got my bearings and to buy new ones and they were made in China. The place I went is the place multiple local RV dealers use. Has anyone had better luck with something else?

I have lost a couple of bearings at 6000-8000 miles (in roughly 1 year of driving). A couple of people at parts stores said anything over 5000 miles is just good luck. The dexter website said grease every 12,000 miles or 12 months. What is your experience?

I think the grease zerk or something is plugged up (RV technician agrees). Any thoughts on how to unplug it?

Thanks for the advice.

First, I would find a new parts store if their bearings are only good for 5,000 miles. You should get 100,000 on them unless something fails.

Are you packing the new bearings before installing them? They should be.

If grease comes out from around the axle, the zerk works. If not, the zerk is bad (or a small chance of the inner wheel seal being bad).

I clean and pack trailer bearings before the first use every year. I've never used the ez lube feature except to fill the passage with grease to prevent rust.

Old 08-17-2014, 08:08 AM   #17

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Floyd and Jared,
I am going to look into this further. I'll pull the bearings and inspect / re-pack them. If any doubt about their wear, or sign of excessive heat such as discoloration, I'll replace them. I'm going to buy and pack a spare set to carry in the trailer as well. A long road trip is not where I want to worry about bearings.

I'm not sure which axle I have, but the rubber EZ-Lube cover says "Dexter". Unless AL KO uses the Dexter caps; I'm assuming it's Dexter. Thanks for your replies.
Floyd, PM sent.

Tom
Old 08-17-2014, 11:55 AM   #18

Name: John
Trailer: 16' Casita
California
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
If a shop did the bearing service I would go back and ask for an explanation.
Well serviced bearings should last for years.
John
Old 08-17-2014, 12:26 PM   #19

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomK View Post
Does anyone know what grease Scamp uses on their trailers? I was just there and forgot to ask. Their manual just states grease them. I had a wheel hub that was hot, but not excessively at the 200 mile mark. They say that is normal, just normal break-in. At the next 300 mile tow, it was too hot to keep my hand on. I want to give it an extra shot or two of grease.

Tom
When I had my axle changed at the Scamp factory a couple of years ago, they were using Lucas Red & Tacky #2 . They gave me a tube when I left for future greasing of the wheel bearings .If you know the manufacturer of your axle ,you can go to their website and find a list of recommended grease . .Dexter lists 8 or 9 different manufacturers of grease that are approved for their axles
Old 08-17-2014, 12:46 PM   #20

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Minimalist View Post
The hardening up of the grease may be the result of mixing greases.
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Just for clarity... it is not the additives which are incompatible, it is the base or primary thickener. Nearly all regular automotive grease today is lithium based, but you might find an old can lying around which has a soap base or a clay base, or maybe even a new special purpose grease which is "Molybdenum Disulfide" based.
Thanks, good info guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Actually you should hand repack them after the first 500-1000 miles, then you can use the EZ Lube function between brake inspections.
Of course that would be a good time to do your first brake inspection/adjustment as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
I've never used the ez lube feature except to fill the passage with grease to prevent rust.
Am I reading this right? The EZ-lube is not filled at the factory? Seems sort of strange, it would be the easiest way to grease the bearings on an assembly line. Does it not provide adequate lubrication?

2nd question. Are there any good threads or links that tell us how to do a brake inspection/adjusment?
Old 08-17-2014, 12:49 PM   #21

Michigan
Steve, That Lucas Red & Tacky #2 info is good to know. I believe I have a Dexter axle, and I do have the Dexter recommended grease list. I'm learning a lot here. I wasn't aware that the axles came to Scamp all built up with the hubs. I just didn't want to mix grease types if I didn't have to. I think I'll wait until tomorrow morning and call Scamp for further guidance if this becomes a warranty situation. Not sure if they'll let me pull, clean, inspect, re-pack, and re-install the bearings, or have it done at a trailer shop locally. The Scamp is only 2 weeks old with less than 600 miles. Thanks for the info. I'll let you know what Scamp tells me.

Tom
Old 08-17-2014, 12:56 PM   #22

Michigan
Roy here is a video about adjusting brakes posted by Clif (the Minimalist) a couple of months ago in a similar thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=9Tf1Bc526zE

Tom
Old 08-17-2014, 10:47 PM   #23

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
Thanks, good info guys.

Am I reading this right? The EZ-lube is not filled at the factory? Seems sort of strange, it would be the easiest way to grease the bearings on an assembly line. Does it not provide adequate lubrication?

2nd question. Are there any good threads or links that tell us how to do a brake inspection/adjusment?
I consider it SOP for trailer axles to repack and adjust after the first 500-1000 miles, even if it was initially assembled correctly. That's a lot of peace of mind for a dollar's worth of grease and a few minutes time.
Tire inspection/pressure checks and DOT light checks before each trip, along with hub checks and a walk around at every fuel stop are just more SOP.

Relax, and like The Gipper said.... "trust but verify"!
Old 08-18-2014, 12:17 AM   #24

Kansas
Wheel bearing replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
Thanks, good info guys.

It took a full tube (mini grease gun) before I even had grease coming out the front.

Ez lube isn't meant to pack your bearings, just move some fresh grease through them. Honestly, IMHO, it's a pointless gimmick. If I had known, I would have gotten an axle without the feature.

I've never had a need to grease my bearings more than once a year.

Old 08-18-2014, 09:59 AM   #25

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
Ez lube isn't meant to pack your bearings, just move some fresh grease through them. Honestly, IMHO, it's a pointless gimmick.
Explain why repacking doesn't just move fresh grease through the bearing?!
You could put a glob of grease in your hand and wipe it into a fresh rag if that would make the process more satisfying!
Old 08-18-2014, 10:37 AM   #26

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericw View Post
I had trouble with a wheel bearing in 2012. I also had all of them replaced at the end of the 2013 season. On our way home last week a wheel bearing gave out again. Thankfully, due to the advice on this forum, I have carried extra seals and bearings on my trips. The last place said my grease zerts on the end of the axle are plugged up and need to be replaced. We put on 7000+ miles this year on these bearings.
Eric your post makes me wonder if you have some other issue with your axle/wheels happening or what brand/make of bearing you are using. What year is your trailer? If its a new trailer there may be an issue with your axle/hubs. I know someone who had a new trailer that the axle/hubs were incorrectly manufactured by a fraction on an inch which resulted in bearing/wheel issues that were only resolved when the axle was replaced under warranty.

As others have mentioned if you use a *good* name brand (such as Timken or SKF) of bearings and seals you should be getting way more than a year and 7000 miles out of them. I have used the same bearings for 5 years and thousands of miles a number of times without issue. I do repack the bearings at least once a year though. The one and only time I had to change bearings out in less than a year (actually in less than 3 months) was the one time I decided to go cheap and buy a set of no name made in China bearings on line..... they ran warm from the day they were installed - took them off and repacked after the first month didn't help - ended up tossing them.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 10:53 AM   #27

Name: Eric
Trailer: Scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
What year is your trailer?

As others have mentioned if you use a *good* name brand (such as Timken or SKF) of bearings and seals you should be getting way more than a year and 7000 miles out of them.

I have a 2007 13' Scamp with a EZ-lube dexter axle. Do you know of issues with this model?

I found out this weekend I have been using the made in China bearings. Today, I found a place locally to buy Timken bearings. I also am going to start doing the work myself so I get comfortable with it and know how it was done.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:07 AM   #28

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Wow... 26 posts about something that should be a slam dunk, trailer wheel bearings.
Unless someone can cite experience to the contrary, what has worked for me for the past (to many) years:

1. New-to-me trailer: If over 5 years old, remove and replace existing bearing with new American made components. If less than 5 years old, remove, inspect, repack and reinstall.

2. Repack every 2 years or 10,000 miles, which ever come first.

3. Use any brand name wheel bearing grease on the shelf at you local auto supply store.

4. Never use off-shore mfg bearings. American made are only a few $$ more and worth it every time.

And the line about bearings running hot until they break in.... pure B.S.
If a bearing hub is ever more than "Warm" to the touch, something is wrong.....

It sounds like some builders are assuming that the supplier is sending ready to use axles. It would seem that an extra 15 minutes of labor on the production inspecting them would be well spent.

And, if I were a new trailer buyer, it wouldn't give me much comfort if the company I bought it from tried to pass a bearing problem off onto their supplier.