Wheel bearing replacement - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2014, 09:36 PM   #41

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
There's a difference between cleaning and thoroughly packing a bearing, and just pumping some grease through with an ez lube axle. I certainly would never expect an ez lube axle to properly pack new, dry bearings.

By the way, if you aren't cleaning off the preservative on the new bearings before packing, you're breaking down the grease.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Have you followed any of my posts on the subject?
EZ-lube is a great idea and has worked well for decades, but like anything mechanical it requires understanding the system and using it correctly.

I have now hand packed my trailer bearings 3 times in over 65,000 miles and ten years...
Once at break-in, and thereafter at brake inspection/service time, so far at about 30,000 mile/four year intervals.

Just having EZ Lubes doesn't require their use.
You can choose to ignore the EZ Lube and hand pack your bearings more often, in fact you would be closer to Dexter's Schedule if you do... but then Dexter doesn't own my axle and doesn't bear the responsibility beyond the warranty, which is long past.

My Gramma raised radishes and she always said that it was ill advised to pull up the plants just to check their growth rate!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 11:19 PM   #42

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
So you're saying you would put dry bearings in, and expect the axle to pack them properly?

Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 11:40 PM   #43

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
So you're saying you would put dry bearings in, and expect the axle to pack them properly?

NO, you said that.

I never even implied that. I haven't replaced my bearings and don't expect to for the life of the axle,and I certainly have never installed a dry bearing and it would be foolish to do so. I also doubt that Dexter ever has either.

Please read my last post, I haven't added grease through the EZ Lube except into bearings which were properly checked, hand packed, and properly installed before the application.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:42 PM   #44

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Wheel bearing replacement

The first thing you responded to was my reply to somebody that suggested the bearings could be installed dry at the factory and packed with the ez lube feature.

Hence, my response that the ez lube isn't designed to pack bearings, which you laughed at.

Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 12:16 AM   #45

Registry
Actually I agree with your point and it shows in my every post on this thread...

Bearings should be packed prior to initial installation. EZ-lube is not (as you say) designed to pack bearings.

Here is the comment to which you have here objected....

"Explain why repacking doesn't just move fresh grease through the bearing?!"

That comment is in reference to the utility and purpose of EZ-LUBE!

Old 08-19-2014, 12:53 AM   #46

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Can't we just agree that EZ lube does not replace checking and repacking the bearings, and that regular maintenance brings peace of mind that pumping grease into a hole can never do?
Old 08-19-2014, 09:19 AM   #47

Registry
I like the utility of the EZ-Lube system and see it as effective when used as part of a comprehensive maintenance regimen.

However, for those who don't...
I have found an excellent solution which will help prevent its accidental use and serve as a reminder of the foolish nature of EZ-Lube....
Attached Images

Old 08-19-2014, 09:41 AM   #48
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post

I have now hand packed my trailer bearings 3 times in over 65,000 miles and ten years...
Once at break-in, and thereafter at brake inspection/service time, so far at about 30,000 mile/four year intervals.
At 12k miles with a good seal I still see contamination of the grease near the seal. Most of the grease on the inner bearing looks fine as does the grease on the outer bearing. From this observation I've assumed Dexters 12k/12mo. timetable is more about seal wear than anything else. What conditioner are the seals in at 30k? Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 03:49 PM   #49

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Update on my too hot to handle spindle. I brought the Scamp to our local trailer shop for an inspection and repair per Dexters recommendation. The trip was about 10 miles on side streets below 40 mph. When I got there the street side was fine, but the curbside spindle was noticeably hotter. The owner just called me back and told me the castle nut was adjusted perfectly. The bearings were fine and now re-packed. He said the curbside brake was adjusted tighter than the other side and backed it off a little. No heat damage evident. No parts were needed, I can pick our baby up in the morning. Cost: One hour labor = $82. Peace of mind = Priceless. The owner requested we show his shop the inside of the Scamp tomorrow when we pick her up. Evidently all the employees are dying to see the inside. I left it locked up with the curtains drawn.

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 05:53 PM   #50

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
At 12k miles with a good seal I still see contamination of the grease near the seal. Most of the grease on the inner bearing looks fine as does the grease on the outer bearing. From this observation I've assumed Dexters 12k/12mo. timetable is more about seal wear than anything else. What conditioner are the seals in at 30k? Raz
This is the third time I have tried to respond to this due to poor internet service.
The short answer is "excellent" and certainly "reusable"
In fact on my last service I did just that since the new seals were of unacceptable quality.
I am presently searching for an old school type double lipped seal, flanged with metal to hub contact. when I find it I will change them and let everyone know the part #
If a hub seal were to be worn in a year, imagine having to service the seals on the front hubs of a rear drive vehicle, or the driveshaft yolk seal or the timing cover seal.
Fact is, I have often seen a leak on a shaft where the shaft was worn by the seal.
Old 08-20-2014, 01:54 PM   #51

Michigan
Case Closed

Final outcome of the hot axle. I got the trailer back from the trailer shop and after they tore the brakes apart, found no heat damage. I was told one brake was adjusted too tight and failed to fully release. They adjusted the brakes, lubed the hubs and I picked it up. I drove the same route back and the hubs stayed cool! I talked to Dexter Axle in IN. and they will reimburse the cost ($82) by mail. Since I never got the Dexter manuals from Scamp, they are sending me those as well. I feel better now! Algonac here we come!

BTW, the trailer shop owner is a big fan of the EZ lube system. He told me that you have to rotate the wheel, and SLOWLY add the grease. Done properly, it will greatly extend the life of the bearings. It sounded like an echo of Floyd's comments. He builds trailers from scratch and when we were on the ground looking at the jack point, he commented that the Scamp trailer frame was very well built. He commented that if he built one for himself, it would look just like Scamps.

Tom
Old 08-20-2014, 03:43 PM   #52

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Tom,
You left us hanging. You never commented on what the shop's employees thought of your trailer when they got a chance to see the inside!

Old 08-20-2014, 04:42 PM   #53

Michigan
Oops!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
Tom,
You left us hanging. You never commented on what the shop's employees thought of your trailer when they got a chance to see the inside!

Sorry about that Carl. There were 4 employees available when I came to pick it up. They had it parked in a large car port type structure and blocked by trucks and cars. The boss told me that they wanted to make sure nothing happened to it, but I think they didn't want me to come in, pay and pull it out without a look-see.

Before I opened it I explained it was bigger on the inside, and in fact had 6 rooms. They got a kick out of the:

1. dining room
2. master bedroom
3. kitchen
4. living room (couch)
5. spare bedroom (bunk beds)
6. ball room (dance floor between the living room and the master bedroom)

The employee who really wanted to see, owns a pop-up trailer but was on a parts run, so his buddy took pics. Lots of fun and they all have more appreciation for our little FG RVs.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:50 PM   #54

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Tom,
You are probably correct in your assessment as to why it was parked in a "safe" location!

Old 08-20-2014, 07:12 PM   #55

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericw View Post
I was asking about bearing buddy and will not be using them (does not work with my ez lube).

I went to the place where I got my bearings and to buy new ones and they were made in China. The place I went is the place multiple local RV dealers use. Has anyone had better luck with something else?

I have lost a couple of bearings at 6000-8000 miles (in roughly 1 year of driving). A couple of people at parts stores said anything over 5000 miles is just good luck. The dexter website said grease every 12,000 miles or 12 months. What is your experience?

I think the grease zerk or something is plugged up (RV technician agrees). Any thoughts on how to unplug it?

Thanks for the advice.

I don't personally know Larry Gamble of Little House Customs, but I have read his posts for years over on the Casita Travel Trailer forum. I would venture a guess that he knows more about the mechanics of FGRV's than most of us and, for what it's worth, I respect his opinions.

Larry posted the following on the Casita Travel Trailer forum on 29 July 2011 - 02:21 AM:

"I believe in another thread you questioned Chinese bearings? For what it's worth, current production Dexter axles use Chinese bearings. Probably no way around it unless you can justify 3 times the money for Timkens. I just do my part by making sure every bit of scrap metal out of the LHC shop (axles, bearings, drums and acorn nuts included) finds its way to the recyclers and is probably shipped straight to China. At least that way our Chinese bearings stand a chance of being made from old Studebakers or Maytags."
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 10:31 PM   #56

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Outlaw View Post
I don't personally know Larry Gamble of Little House Customs, but I have read his posts for years over on the Casita Travel Trailer forum. I would venture a guess that he knows more about the mechanics of FGRV's than most of us and, for what it's worth, I respect his opinions.

Larry posted the following on the Casita Travel Trailer forum on 29 July 2011 - 02:21 AM:

"I believe in another thread you questioned Chinese bearings? For what it's worth, current production Dexter axles use Chinese bearings. Probably no way around it unless you can justify 3 times the money for Timkens. I just do my part by making sure every bit of scrap metal out of the LHC shop (axles, bearings, drums and acorn nuts included) finds its way to the recyclers and is probably shipped straight to China. At least that way our Chinese bearings stand a chance of being made from old Studebakers or Maytags."
Three times as much sounds ok to me for quality instead of scrap.
When we can no longer manufacture bearings, we will have already lost our next war.
Old 08-21-2014, 01:42 AM   #57

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile American bearings

I got a kick out of referring to SKF as American bearings.

SKF stands for: Svenska Kullagerfabriken, translated means Swedish Ball Bearing Manufacturer!

My first job was as a stock boy for a bearing distributing company, Wisconsin Bearing in Milwaukee which was a subsidy of Berry Bearing in Chicago.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 06:15 AM   #58

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
I got a kick out of referring to SKF as American bearings.

SKF stands for: Svenska Kullagerfabriken, translated means Swedish Ball Bearing Manufacturer!
In my grade school days there was a massive SKF facility a few blocks from home at the entrance to our neighbourhood. I remember asking my dad what SKF was? His reply: Spoons, Knives and Forks.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 07:52 AM   #59

Michigan
When I went to a joint training exercise in Petawawa, Ontario, they asked if I wanted a "KFS". Not wanting to look a gift horse in the mouth I said "Sure". I was given a Knife-Fork-Spoon set. They were interlocked. They let me keep them when I left. The other American Soldier's had to turn their's in. I figured they found out My Mom's side of the family was Canadian I kept them in my mess kit when I came back. Now they're in our camper. I treasure them.

Tom
Old 08-21-2014, 08:10 AM   #60

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Three times as much sounds ok to me for quality instead of scrap.
When we can no longer manufacture bearings, we will have already lost our next war.
I think that the " three times the cost" statement in this case is an poor excuse for cheapening a product solely to raise ones profit margins . In the quantity Dexter purchases bearings ,buying good bearings amounts to a small portion of the cost of producing an axle .The consumer is then stuck with the cost of replacing the inferior part . Look at the ignition switch on GM vehicles .GM supposedly saved 28 cents per switch by going cheap but what was the cost to the people who died from their choice . The difference in cost between cheap Chinese bearings and good bearings is probably less than $5 per axle .That cost seems rather minor to me when I am paying over $400 for a small trailer axle
Maybe they could cheapen up the brakes and save another $3
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote