Wheel bearings - Parkliner - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-11-2016, 05:34 AM   #15

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by accrete View Post
Since I've never even changed a tire in my ~40+ years of driving I took Parkliner #35 to my local Les Schwab tire center at the two year mark. The shop mechanic stated the bearings were in great shape but stated if replaced and repacked the rig shouldn't need any service for another two years...so I took his advice. A few bucks later and we were on our way home.

: ) Thom
Two years is generally the interval I use Thom. Used to be when we traveled I used the hand-on-a-hub test. Now I have one of those fancy Star Wars-like digital temp readers, works great, plus saves my back. All the many decades I've been hauling trailers of one kind or another, never a problem.

I tore my hot rod apart recently for a rebuild - homebuilt frame, brackets, wired, plumbed by yours truly, drove thousands of miles over 11 years, never trailered. I have had a love affair with mechanical things since a wee teen.

Frank

Old 04-11-2016, 08:33 AM   #16

Name: Pat
Trailer: Parkliner
Michigan
So guys since we are on the topic and I know nothing....does my 2014 which will be 2 years old in September and has had no long trips need to have anything done before I head out this year?

Old 04-12-2016, 06:35 AM   #17

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat in Michigan View Post
So guys since we are on the topic and I know nothing....does my 2014 which will be 2 years old in September and has had no long trips need to have anything done before I head out this year?
Different folks, different strokes Pat. I also jack up my trailer and pull the wheels every fall to save continual load on the bearings in one position for months on end, but then I am somewhat compulsive.

You should be fine for this season, but it's hard for me to say without looking!

Any other questions, email me.

Enjoy your day!

Frank
Old 04-12-2016, 09:01 PM   #18

Name: Pat
Trailer: Parkliner
Michigan
Thanks Frank
Old 04-18-2016, 09:25 AM   #19

Name: George
Trailer: 85 Uhaul CT 13
North Carolina
Thanks to all for this discussion. In January I purchased a 2013 Parkliner from the original owner and had question about how often to service and or replace the wheel bearings. Thanks again!

Sent from my LG-E980 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Old 04-18-2016, 09:31 AM   #20

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Lauver View Post
Thanks to all for this discussion. In January I purchased a 2013 Parkliner from the original owner and had question about how often to service and or replace the wheel bearings. Thanks again!
Good for you George! Enjoy!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd Escape 2L Ecoboost with 3500# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 11:04 AM   #21

Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
Below is my opinion and I do NOT recommend my method to others and take no responsibility for what others do. This is just how I do it based on my belief while being involved in mechanic work all my life. Then I come to be a trailer owner and all of a sudden see you MUST pull the wheels yearly (REGARDLESS of the miles????) ????

I bought my Scamp new in 2010 it now has 10K miles on it. I have never pulled the wheels. I have adjusted the brakes. I pulled the rubber seal on the outside of the ends of the hubs to see that the factory (Dexter/Scamp?) had filled the hubs with grease- very prevalent when pulling the covers-even today. I spin the wheels regularly as I keep the them off the ground when not traveling (keep the Scamp on jack stands).

I check the hub temps often with a hand-held digital thermometer when traveling. The hubs have been consistent with the temps as they were when pulling it new from Backus, MN. They're very smooth when I turn them (while on jacks) and I check the play by grabbing the wheels and trying to move them on the axle.

Some thinks this is nuts, but then again, neither have I pulled the front wheels on the front of my '99 Nissan Frontier (17 yo!!) in over 85,000 miles and they're fine. What????
Old 04-18-2016, 11:47 AM   #22

New York
Keeping your trailer on jack stands is no different than pulling the wheels. I pull the wheels and lock them up in my shed as theft protection. Easy to do. I also check play on my hubs. I check hub temps every time I stop as soon as I am out of the TV. Just common sense.

I had a front wheel bearing go on my F150 right at about the mileage you have on your Nissan Darral. Mine were sealed, so not much I could do about it. It happened a long way from home.

Glad you're having fun Darral.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 04-18-2016, 11:53 AM   #23

Tennessee
It's better on the tires as well. And, like your failure, regardless what we do, sometimes it's just gonna happen. This stuff is man made AND will fail eventually.

But as a side note, I dont have to clean/repack the bearings every time I take it off the jack stands nor does it let it take a chance of contamination getting inside. That could be one difference..... just a thought.
Old 04-18-2016, 12:02 PM   #24

New York
Taking the wheels off and wrapping the exposed brake drum/hub in a grocery store plastic bag keeps contamination out of my hubs. I clean and repack all trailer hubs every two years, regardless of miles or use. This time I found one side colored darker than the other. I figured that meant it was good I was doing what I do. Had lots of trailers over the decades, boat, utility, RV, have always done the same thing. The Parkliner I have has EZ Lube axles. They are awesome.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 04-18-2016, 12:49 PM   #25

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
I took my trailer out of winter mode this morning. She sits up on blocks with the weight off the axle ,the tires off the ground and the tires bagged for about 6 to 7 months each year . Having had wheel bearings fail in 3 trailers and 2 vehicles , I am a little cautious
Last year we went on 2 long trips totalling 10K miles and the bearings were repacked before we left . This Spring they will be repacked again. To me getting my trailer serviced is just part of the cost of ownership.
Old 04-18-2016, 12:51 PM   #26

New York
I wish there was a "Like" button I could push...

I always think it's best to be cautious.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 04-18-2016, 03:40 PM   #27

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
Some thinks this is nuts, but then again, neither have I pulled the front wheels on the front of my '99 Nissan Frontier (17 yo!!) in over 85,000 miles and they're fine. What????
Or some might think you are simple lucky. My 2011 Frontier required a new front wheel bearing last year with far less miles on it than your truck has on it.

I also do not think that its nuts that someone who only puts 10,000 miles on a trailer travel in 6 years does not check and repack the bearings on the trailer each year either.

If I put that low of milage on my trailer I probable would not be cleaning & repacking the trailers wheel bearings every year either. But I have had some years where I have come close to that many tow miles on the trailer in a year, or may be even more miles, so I am one of those crazy people who does checking and repack the trailers wheel bearings yearly. Glad I do, as over the years I have found more than one fairly new bearing showing wear issues that if it had continued to have been used there was a high probability of failure in the not so distant future.

I guess its once again comes down to the luck of the draw. As I tend not to be so lucky I like to take the few extra steps to make sure I avoid any problems that might put a damper on my vacation time ;-)
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 03:54 PM   #28

Tennessee
Understandable. But another thing, I'm not a "long distance" traveler with an RV...just too much trouble to me. So mine are usually 400 miles and under; one way. Most are 100 and less....SO with that said, in all honesty, I DONT worry about it like some would that's about to head across the US.

BUT and a BIG BUT here.... JUSt because you guys put new bearings and/or just repack doesnt mean you wont have trouble...right? Carol your '11 Frontier is a classic example.

It boils down to this....if man makes it, it's GOING to break.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Or some might think you are simple lucky. My 2011 Frontier required a new front wheel bearing last year with far less miles on it than your truck has on it.

I also do not think that its nuts that someone who only puts 10,000 miles on a trailer travel in 6 years does not check and repack the bearings on the trailer each year either.

If I put that low of milage on my trailer I probable would not be cleaning & repacking the trailers wheel bearings every year either. But I have had some years where I have come close to that many tow miles on the trailer in a year, or may be even more miles, so I am one of those crazy people who does checking and repack the trailers wheel bearings yearly. Glad I do, as over the years I have found more than one fairly new bearing showing wear issues that if it had continued to have been used there was a high probability of failure in the not so distant future.

I guess its once again comes down to the luck of the draw. As I tend not to be so lucky I like to take the few extra steps to make sure I avoid any problems that might put a damper on my vacation time ;-)

Tags
parkliner