Wheel bearings - Parkliner - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2016, 10:04 AM   #21

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Below is my opinion and I do NOT recommend my method to others and take no responsibility for what others do. This is just how I do it based on my belief while being involved in mechanic work all my life. Then I come to be a trailer owner and all of a sudden see you MUST pull the wheels yearly (REGARDLESS of the miles????) ????

I bought my Scamp new in 2010 it now has 10K miles on it. I have never pulled the wheels. I have adjusted the brakes. I pulled the rubber seal on the outside of the ends of the hubs to see that the factory (Dexter/Scamp?) had filled the hubs with grease- very prevalent when pulling the covers-even today. I spin the wheels regularly as I keep the them off the ground when not traveling (keep the Scamp on jack stands).

I check the hub temps often with a hand-held digital thermometer when traveling. The hubs have been consistent with the temps as they were when pulling it new from Backus, MN. They're very smooth when I turn them (while on jacks) and I check the play by grabbing the wheels and trying to move them on the axle.

Some thinks this is nuts, but then again, neither have I pulled the front wheels on the front of my '99 Nissan Frontier (17 yo!!) in over 85,000 miles and they're fine. What????
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 10:47 AM   #22

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Keeping your trailer on jack stands is no different than pulling the wheels. I pull the wheels and lock them up in my shed as theft protection. Easy to do. I also check play on my hubs. I check hub temps every time I stop as soon as I am out of the TV. Just common sense.

I had a front wheel bearing go on my F150 right at about the mileage you have on your Nissan Darral. Mine were sealed, so not much I could do about it. It happened a long way from home.

Glad you're having fun Darral.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 10:53 AM   #23

It's better on the tires as well. And, like your failure, regardless what we do, sometimes it's just gonna happen. This stuff is man made AND will fail eventually.

But as a side note, I dont have to clean/repack the bearings every time I take it off the jack stands nor does it let it take a chance of contamination getting inside. That could be one difference..... just a thought.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:02 AM   #24

New York
Taking the wheels off and wrapping the exposed brake drum/hub in a grocery store plastic bag keeps contamination out of my hubs. I clean and repack all trailer hubs every two years, regardless of miles or use. This time I found one side colored darker than the other. I figured that meant it was good I was doing what I do. Had lots of trailers over the decades, boat, utility, RV, have always done the same thing. The Parkliner I have has EZ Lube axles. They are awesome.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 04-18-2016, 11:49 AM   #25

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I took my trailer out of winter mode this morning. She sits up on blocks with the weight off the axle ,the tires off the ground and the tires bagged for about 6 to 7 months each year . Having had wheel bearings fail in 3 trailers and 2 vehicles , I am a little cautious
Last year we went on 2 long trips totalling 10K miles and the bearings were repacked before we left . This Spring they will be repacked again. To me getting my trailer serviced is just part of the cost of ownership.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 11:51 AM   #26

New York
I wish there was a "Like" button I could push...

I always think it's best to be cautious.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 04-18-2016, 02:40 PM   #27

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
Some thinks this is nuts, but then again, neither have I pulled the front wheels on the front of my '99 Nissan Frontier (17 yo!!) in over 85,000 miles and they're fine. What????
Or some might think you are simple lucky. My 2011 Frontier required a new front wheel bearing last year with far less miles on it than your truck has on it.

I also do not think that its nuts that someone who only puts 10,000 miles on a trailer travel in 6 years does not check and repack the bearings on the trailer each year either.

If I put that low of milage on my trailer I probable would not be cleaning & repacking the trailers wheel bearings every year either. But I have had some years where I have come close to that many tow miles on the trailer in a year, or may be even more miles, so I am one of those crazy people who does checking and repack the trailers wheel bearings yearly. Glad I do, as over the years I have found more than one fairly new bearing showing wear issues that if it had continued to have been used there was a high probability of failure in the not so distant future.

I guess its once again comes down to the luck of the draw. As I tend not to be so lucky I like to take the few extra steps to make sure I avoid any problems that might put a damper on my vacation time ;-)
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 02:54 PM   #28

Understandable. But another thing, I'm not a "long distance" traveler with an RV...just too much trouble to me. So mine are usually 400 miles and under; one way. Most are 100 and less....SO with that said, in all honesty, I DONT worry about it like some would that's about to head across the US.

BUT and a BIG BUT here.... JUSt because you guys put new bearings and/or just repack doesnt mean you wont have trouble...right? Carol your '11 Frontier is a classic example.

It boils down to this....if man makes it, it's GOING to break.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Or some might think you are simple lucky. My 2011 Frontier required a new front wheel bearing last year with far less miles on it than your truck has on it.

I also do not think that its nuts that someone who only puts 10,000 miles on a trailer travel in 6 years does not check and repack the bearings on the trailer each year either.

If I put that low of milage on my trailer I probable would not be cleaning & repacking the trailers wheel bearings every year either. But I have had some years where I have come close to that many tow miles on the trailer in a year, or may be even more miles, so I am one of those crazy people who does checking and repack the trailers wheel bearings yearly. Glad I do, as over the years I have found more than one fairly new bearing showing wear issues that if it had continued to have been used there was a high probability of failure in the not so distant future.

I guess its once again comes down to the luck of the draw. As I tend not to be so lucky I like to take the few extra steps to make sure I avoid any problems that might put a damper on my vacation time ;-)
Old 04-18-2016, 04:19 PM   #29

Registry
Quote:
BUT and a BIG BUT here.... JUSt because you guys put new bearings and/or just repack doesnt mean you wont have trouble...right? Carol your '11 Frontier is a classic example.

You hit the issue on the head Darral & yes the trucks wheel bearing failure is a fine example. Bearings fail!! if you do not take the bearings out and inspect them how do you know if there is an issue or not? Thus avoiding it when you lest want it to happen.

My current truck btw is not the first vehicle I have owned that has a wheel bearing failure either. Perhaps if it was just as fast and easy and economically viable to check a vehicles wheel bearing each year it would be worth doing as well if it meant avoiding being stranded out in no where land. :lout

I BTW have never been stranded in no mans land with the trailer as I know others have been, due to a trailer wheel bearing failure - I suspect strongly it is due to the fact I do inspect and repack every year regardless of whether it was a 10,000 mile year or a 1500 mile year.

Like all things in life we develop opinions that may differ from others based on our own real life experiences.

The one thing I know for sure is the longer I live life the more new to me experiences I have to learn from.
Old 04-18-2016, 05:13 PM   #30

NW Wisconsin
I had a trailer bearing seize up on a gravel road , 60 miles from nowhere in Northern Canada on Queen Victoria day . We camped on the side of the road for two days waiting for some one to open up so we could get it repaired . Unlike the US , Canada actually has Holidays , in the US it is just an excuse to have another worthless sale. Now days with all the poor guality Chinese bearings ,replacing your bearings is a real crap shoot.
Old 04-18-2016, 07:03 PM   #31

Registry
I have a friend who had pretty well the same thing happen in the Washington Cascades. Managed to limp the trailer into the only garage in town - but closed due to it being a Sunday. On Monday they found out the garage did not have the bearing so had to hang around another day while it was sent from Seattle.

I have since started carrying in the trailer a spare bearing and seal.... just in case....
Old 04-18-2016, 07:18 PM   #32

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Quote:
I have a friend who had pretty well the same thing happen in the Washington Cascades. Managed to limp the trailer into the only garage in town - but closed due to it being a Sunday. On Monday they found out the garage did not have the bearing so had to hang around another day while it was sent from Seattle.

I have since started carrying in the trailer a spare bearing and seal.... just in case....
This is a good idea. Probably carrying spare set or two would be a good investment in the weight.
Store them greased in two baggies inside of another.
The seals can be in the outer bag I guess.
I used to fly a good bit into and (hopefully out of) some unimproved fields and the tail wheel mounting bolt had a tendency to break from time to time.
I always carried a spare nut, bolt and washer along with a pair of wrenches.
A very good spare were the two $100 bills sewn into the pilot's seat cushion.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 07:20 PM   #33

NW Wisconsin
Quote:

We had a set of spare bearings but the inner bearing race was froze on the shaft . They cut it off with grinder . We had the parts and knowledge but lacked the proper tools. Fixing anything on the side of the road seldom goes well at least in my experience.
Old 04-18-2016, 08:08 PM   #34

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
We had a set of spare bearings but the inner bearing race was froze on the shaft . They cut it off with grinder . We had the parts and knowledge but lacked the proper tools. Fixing anything on the side of the road seldom goes well at least in my experience.
Ouch. Your right I personally would probable not even try and do a bearing change out on the side of the road unless there really was no other option. I mainly carry the spare set in case the shop I wind up at to have it fixed does not have the correct size bearing and seal in stock.
Old 04-21-2016, 08:33 AM   #35

New York
I guess the only alternative here is just to carry a spare drum/hub!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 04-21-2016, 09:44 AM   #36

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
I guess the only alternative here is just to carry a spare drum/hub!

Frank
Or just sell the trailer on the side of the road & buy a new one
Old 04-21-2016, 09:47 AM   #37

New York
Quote:
Or just sell the trailer on the side of the road & buy a new one
I like the way you think Carol!
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 04-21-2016, 09:57 AM   #38

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
I like the way you think Carol!
Lifes just way to short Frank to waste time and as they old saying goes you can't take it with you!
Old 04-21-2016, 10:20 AM   #39

Instead of a spare set of bearings, hub, axle, frame!.... let's just pull an extra trailer!! Which ever one locks up first gets left!!
Old 04-21-2016, 10:33 AM   #40

Registry
Quote:
Instead of a spare set of bearings, hub, axle, frame!.... let's just pull an extra trailer!! Which ever one locks up first gets left!!
Good idea.... oh wait I think that is what I am currently doing!

Tags
parkliner