Wheel Covers - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2010, 08:10 PM   #21

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp Deluxe 2007 and 40' Allegro Bus
Send a message via AIM to RSchleder Send a message via Yahoo to RSchleder
Not the best picture but I really like the look of my wheels. Floyd showed these to my a couple of years ago so I decided to buy the SS beauty rings off the internet and the caps from my local RV dealer.

RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 08:53 PM   #22

Name: Steve
Trailer: 1983 Scamp 16
Texas
Registry
I took the rubber cap off to check them out, and they sure appear to be "Bearing Buddies"...however, I'm not really sure what that means.

Hubs, bearings, etc. -- not my forte! So here's a couple pics of what I've got (assuming I'm able to attach these pics). They just seem to stick out an awful lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
If they are really Bearing Buddy's and not the other kind that puts the grease in by the inner bearing then just take the Bearing Buddy cap off and put a regular bearing cap on.

Bill K
Attached Images

Steve in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 12:03 AM   #23

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Since it is not your forte, I would get somebody to change them for regular bearing caps which should be much shorter.

Just remember to get your bearings checked.

Bill K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in TX View Post
I took the rubber cap off to check them out, and they sure appear to be "Bearing Buddies"...however, I'm not really sure what that means.

Hubs, bearings, etc. -- not my forte! So here's a couple pics of what I've got (assuming I'm able to attach these pics). They just seem to stick out an awful lot.
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 12:22 AM   #24

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile Wheel Treatment

With the Bearing Buddies, you could cut a hole in the hub cap. Some wheel covers have medalions in the center which can be removed. If you don't know what type of wheels you have, you should take them to the junk yard / hub cap shop to assure a fit. If you have two differently configured wheels, good luck. Wheel covers may work

I have all aluminum wheels on my vehicles now. In my salad days, I had only the brand's hub caps, silver color painted wheels, and black wall tires on my car. I took a tip from Volkswagen and painted the outer ring a cream color, and the inner ring a dark blue. The car was a light blue color. I thought it looked good. No digital pictures of it. If you have a two tone trailer, paint the outer the light color and the inner the dark color. Sort of gave the impresson of white wall tires.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 07:21 PM   #25

Texas
Registry
I really appreciate the ideas and advice, guys. Thanks!

But I'm thinking the practical benefits of having bearing buddies probably out-weighs the aesthetic benefits of having a smaller bearing cap (and no Buddy). So I'm going to research hub caps that cover the entire rim and not just the center part...hopefully "full" wheel covers will be deeper and fit over the Bearing Buddy.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:01 PM   #26

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16'
North Dakota
Registry
Let us know what you come up with I am thinking of adding bearing buddies to my Scamp, but want the hub caps.
2005 Chevrolet Extended Cab Silverado
Tezha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 08:23 AM   #27

Trailer: 1975 Trillium 13 ft (Fluffer-Nugget)
Registry
I sanded and painted my wheels with Tremclad and added a set of babymoons....I'm very happy with the way it turned out!

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ver-44003.html
Emily R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 04:43 PM   #28

Trailer: (fiberglass)
wheel covers

this is what i have on my 13ft uhaul . i want some moons but i can't find any that fit right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Williams View Post
I would like to see a thread of pictures of how folks have dressed up their wheels. I'm tired of the ugly Axle / Bearing Buddy showing and leaking grease ocasionally. If this has already been done, forgive me. I did a lot of searching and couldn't find it.

Happy Spring....thank GOD!

Keith
Attached Thumbnails
84 004.jpg  
ScottG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 04:55 PM   #29

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Did you add that decoration or some kind of wheel covers to the original wheel rims? I have not seen Uhaul wheels that look like that (I like them!).

Some people have used old car wheel rims with a spacer. Do you have wheel rims that are these varieties? If so, perhaps that is why you can't find moons.

If those are some kind of dressed-up original UHaul rims, you can get baby moons to fit. Our Burro baby moons fit our original Uhaul rims (The new rims that we bought do not fit either the Burro baby moons or the original Uhaul rims that we have.)

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 05:04 PM   #30

Trailer: (fiberglass)
this is what is on my uhaul, trim rings and old lincoln center caps . i want moons but can't find any that fit right.

they are the original uhaul rims. I did buy some moons 71/2 inch ones but they did not fit. do you know where i can get some moons that will fit?. I can't pay $150.00 like people are emailing me about with original uhaul caps. the center caps i used are from an old lincoln town car. i had to screw them on. it looks better than i thought it would with those caps. I want moon caps but i will use this untill i find some to fit the rims. thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
Did you add that decoration or some kind of wheel covers to the original wheel rims? I have not seen Uhaul wheels that look like that (I like them!).

Some people have used old car wheel rims with a spacer. Do you have wheel rims that are these varieties? If so, perhaps that is why you can't find moons.

If those are some kind of dressed-up original UHaul rims, you can get baby moons to fit. Our Burro baby moons fit our original Uhaul rims (The new rims that we bought do not fit either the Burro baby moons or the original Uhaul rims that we have.)

CindyL
Attached Thumbnails
84 004.jpg  
ScottG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 11:44 PM   #31

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
Scott I like your Lincoln caps. Very.. Continental!

Regards,

Matt
Old 11-28-2010, 03:13 PM   #32

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Hubcaps Wheel Covers | Hubcap Mike's | Buy Hubcaps Online

I do not know what size though. I did buy some for the Burro that fit from Walmart. The Burro hubcaps fit our Uhaul too, so if you look around, you can find something that fits. However, I like those hubcaps.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 10:48 PM   #33

Texas
Registry
Hi all,

I ended up buying Smoothies from Hub Cap Mike
(Smoothie Hubcaps, Baby Moon or Moon Hubcaps Wheel Covers Kustom Car Moons)

They come in a 13" size and covered up the bearing buddies. Tires and hupcaps are kinda dirty in the pic, but I'm happy with the results. The important thing to me was that they fit over the bearing buddies...I'd tried baby moons but they didn't fit. If you have bearing buddies, I'd definitely recommend these.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3382.jpg  
Old 12-03-2010, 09:22 PM   #34

Trailer: 1976 Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Hi all,

I ended up buying Smoothies from Hub Cap Mike
(Smoothie Hubcaps, Baby Moon or Moon Hubcaps Wheel Covers Kustom Car Moons)

They come in a 13" size and covered up the bearing buddies. Tires and hupcaps are kinda dirty in the pic, but I'm happy with the results. The important thing to me was that they fit over the bearing buddies...I'd tried baby moons but they didn't fit. If you have bearing buddies, I'd definitely recommend these.

Steve
Hey fellow Austinite!
I've got a 13' Scamp and bought baby moons, but they didn't really fit. My nubs were on the inside of the rim. I tried to notch out a portion on the hubcaps and that worked for a little while. But it doesn't completely secure the hupcap, so they would probably fly off if hit just right. I don't have bearing buddies. How do the smoothies snap on?
Jenny W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 01:32 PM   #35

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny W. View Post
How do the smoothies snap on?
It looks like they have finger springs all the way around.
Mooney Hubcaps - 13 inch Moonie Hub Caps
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 07:57 PM   #36

Name: Peter
Trailer: 1971 Amerigo
Colorado
I'm not clear on why people use Bearing Buddies on these trailers. As I understand it, the point of Bearing Buddies is to equalize the pressure in the hub that results from a hot hub being quenched in water - as in a boat trailer application. That's not an issue here.

I don't use BB's on boat trailers either as they only seem to blow out the inner seals.
Peter_Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 09:43 PM   #37

Trailer: 71 Boler
I don't have them either but here's why they say to use them, kinda makes sense
Why Bearing Buddy
Brian Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 10:53 AM   #38

Texas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny W. View Post
Hey fellow Austinite!
I've got a 13' Scamp and bought baby moons, but they didn't really fit. My nubs were on the inside of the rim. I tried to notch out a portion on the hubcaps and that worked for a little while. But it doesn't completely secure the hupcap, so they would probably fly off if hit just right. I don't have bearing buddies. How do the smoothies snap on?
Hi Jenny! Nice to see another Austinite on here, and I love what you'd done with your interior. The smoothies have metal spring tabs all the way around and are a very tight fit on the rim. I had to use a rubber mallet to put them on.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:52 PM   #39

Trailer: 1976 Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Hi Jenny! Nice to see another Austinite on here, and I love what you'd done with your interior. The smoothies have metal spring tabs all the way around and are a very tight fit on the rim. I had to use a rubber mallet to put them on.
I used a rubber mallet as well, but dented the moons a bit . Looks like the smoothies are the way to go.
Are you all Northies or Southies? I'm a Southie.
Jenny W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 01:31 PM   #40

Trailer: 74 Boler 13 ft / 97 Ford Aerostar
Registry
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Williams View Post
I would like to see a thread of pictures of how folks have dressed up their wheels. I'm tired of the ugly Axle / Bearing Buddy showing and leaking grease ocasionally. If this has already been done, forgive me. I did a lot of searching and couldn't find it.

Happy Spring....thank GOD!

Keith
We don't have bearing buddies, but we got these plastic wheel covers from Canadian Tire for $18. They go well with our tow vehicle wheels.

Rick G
Attached Thumbnails
trailer cover2.jpg  
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote