Where to get professional mods? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-04-2006, 10:59 PM   #15

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Looking mostly to augment organizational/storage capabilities. For example, my 13 ft Scamp has the front bunk bed option with the 2 (small) storage bins on each side and the PortaPotti storage in the middle. My travel M.O is either alone or with 1 other person. I/we never use the front for sleeping and usually convert it to a 'lay out all the gear and clothing' on the bunk beds kind of scenario. Kinda of untidy and messy at best. So....was thinking of remodeling the front section into a more practical storage space with doors and shelves. Other items on my wish list:

(1)increase kitchen working space,
(2)using vertical space (like above the rear dinnette/double bed area) more efficiently,
(3) smaller fresh/gray water tanks (I really don't need 15 gallons worth), Oh yeah, my gray water drain has ripped off the main tank so now there is just a gaping hole on the gray tank
(4) reupholstering (no plaid please),
(5) sturdier dinnette table,
(6) locking door knobs so I don't need to bungee them closed during travel (or find all contents on floor),
(7) probably need some floor patch work in weathering areas
(8) Increase bottom clearance
(9) ? change 1 7/8th hitch to 2 inch
Hi: Did I hear (no plaid please)OCH!!! I canna take it OCH!!! I'm no a wee Scot...But no plaidOCH!!! Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie

Old 09-04-2006, 11:23 PM   #16

Name: Jaye
Trailer: Scamp
Maine
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to jaye580
Well, with the exception of #'s 3, 8 and 9 I have your new Scamp all visualized, as most of those are things I have already done to my own Scamps! I WISH that I could give up my night job and do Egg conversions for a living but for the time being, being 46, single with a mortgage and living in rural Maine keeps me coming to work for 10 hours a night!!

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

http://www.facebook.com/jayeded
jaye580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 05:19 AM   #17

Name: Michael
Trailer: Amerigo & Trailmanor (popupish)
Indiana
Quote:
(1)increase kitchen working space,
(2)using vertical space (like above the rear dinnette/double bed area) more efficiently,
(3) smaller fresh/gray water tanks (I really don't need 15 gallons worth), Oh yeah, my gray water drain has ripped off the main tank so now there is just a gaping hole on the gray tank
(4) reupholstering (no plaid please),
(5) sturdier dinnette table,
(6) locking door knobs so I don't need to bungee them closed during travel (or find all contents on floor),
(7) probably need some floor patch work in weathering areas
(8) Increase bottom clearance
(9) ? change 1 7/8th hitch to 2 inch
Given your "never use the front for sleeping" style - the usual mod is to convert the front bunks into a perminant 2 person dinette. Leaving the rear as a perminant bed. No converting things back and forth then...

For your items above:

1) Many folks have added fold-up 'wings' on the sides of the kitchen to give more space. I pulled my stove and made covers for the hole and the sink. A nicer solution would be a fold-up cover that turned the whole kitchen into counter space, but that folded back IF you wanted to use the sink/stove.

2) I always wished I had one of the overhead storage bins in the Boler we had. In addition to BEING storage - they made it easy to add a couple shelves between itself and the closet or kitchen OH bin.

3) I don't have any experience dealing with water systems. Don't really need them where we go so I just pulled it to make more storage. I'd think that unless you really needed the space - leaving them intact (with repairs) and just not filling all the way would be the path of least resistance.

4) Lots of folks have recovered their cushions. It's just a matter of how patient you are vs how detailed you want them to look. Squared with piping in the corners is the most elaborate - we just made new covers that were like form fitting pillow cases with velcro for the closure.

5) Sturdier than the usual "sawdust glued together with a picture of wood on the top"??? In the Boler we had, I bought used a piece of 3/4" plywood (sanded, the cabinet grade stuff is REALLY pretty). The old table was used for the pattern and all the old hardware recycled by moving it over onto the new one. Well... I didn't use the post. I rigged a fold-down table leg out of some of the left-over plywood for that - but the trim and wall-mount were recycled. Looked a lot nicer than the original too.

6) Locking cabinet doors. I didn't have a nice solution for this one either. In the Boler - I swapped in locking knobs (using the stock catches). In the PlayPac, no locking knobs - but I used spring loaded hinges. That worked for the small doors, but I added a couple hooks amd eye screws to the big doors. Not elegant, but effective.

7) floor patch... not sure if you mean floor covreings or the floor itself. New linoleum isn't hard. Many folks have used pergo-type floors - very pretty. Soft spots IMHO are best handled by thinking like a dentist: Grind out only what is bad and fill.

8) Increasing clearance - You're looking at raising or swapping out the axle. That's the first thing on your list I'd go to a pro for. I personally liked the really low clearance myself. Made it fit my garage and didnt need a step stool to get in when camped.

9) swiapping in a 2" hitch - Pro job IMHO (I don't weld), but why???

mkw
Old 09-05-2006, 07:42 AM   #18
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Adimiro, take a look at the front of Lorene's Scamp 13. I really like this layout and it shows you just what Scamp can do. I'm really envious of this kitchen space.
Attached Thumbnails
LorenesScamp13.jpeg  
Old 09-05-2006, 02:17 PM   #19

Trailer: 1985 17 ft Burro
Look for a small, local fiberglass shop to see if they may have time to do your projects. My local shop supplies me with the materials to do my own projects but if I did not want to do it myself, they have the time and creativity and know-how to get the job done. All you need are clear plans/drawings on the modifications, time, and money.

If you cannot find a fiberglass shop, check for marinas or boat repair shops. I suggest a smaller shop because they may be inclined to be more flexible and get creative. Make sure that timing is discussed up front...just as with any construction, add at least a few days for unexpected delays.

Good luck!
Old 09-05-2006, 03:14 PM   #20

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Thanks all!! You've switched on several light bulbs inside my head with your ideas, suggestions, replies. Keep 'em coming as I am now a permanent visitor to this incredibly helpful group of folks. Promise to post before and after photos (though it may be a few months till complete).
Old 09-05-2006, 06:21 PM   #21

Trailer: 1968 Venture (Molded Fiberglass 19 ft Class A Motorhome) and 82 TranStar B+
Send a message via AIM to Penny Taylor Send a message via Yahoo to Penny Taylor
<<<<But I would just look for a handiman in my home town area that comes recommended by someone, tell them what you want, and let them do it for you.>>>>

The trouble with using a regular handyman, is that their thoughts are regular old pine "2x4"s, which shouldn't be used in these trailers. Any framing, if any, should be done in lightweight fir, and 1x2", or 2x2", depending on what you are doing.
Old 09-06-2006, 01:42 AM   #22

Name: John
Trailer: 1996 13 ft Scamp
California
Send a message via AIM to John Perry
Find a retired finish carpenter or cabinet maker not a handyman.
I used a retired finish in the remodelnig of a bathroom and he did an excellant job and the cost was much less than having a cabinet shop do the work. He also did some cabinet repair and reorganization work in a 5th wheel I used to have and I was very happy with the quality of the work.
John
Old 09-07-2006, 04:02 PM   #23

Trailer: 1992 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
The majority of our major mods (fiberglass work, building cabinets and stairs, etc) were done by a small business in Roseburg, Oregon. They remodel the inside of RVs. It was the first time they had ever worked on a fiberglass trailer. We think they did an excellent job. You might check with your local RV dealers and ask them if there is anyone in the area who does interior RV modifications.

Nancy
Old 09-10-2006, 05:36 PM   #24

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft ('Kermit' It's not easy being green!)
Not being particularly handy, when I bought Kermit I called the local RV business in the mistaken belief that they would answer a few basic questions for me. When they discovered I did not want to buy a $50,000 condo-on-wheels but had an old (humpf! vintage) fiberglass trailer, I couldn't even get them to return a call! So I called around to some local RV parks to see who they used to get repairs done. They were all very nice, helpful, and I even was offered a free night or two of camping. I came up with several names and contacted a nearby father and son business. They loved my trailer and have been very helpful in checking out the systems so I wouldn't electrocute myself or flood the place, updated the propane tank, put on new stabilizer jacks, and generally made sure I would be okay towing. It may take a little detective work but you will find some nice people and help!
Old 09-10-2006, 08:42 PM   #25

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
I called around to some [b]local RV parks to see who they used to get repairs done. They were all very nice, helpful, and I even was offered a free night or two of camping. I came up with several names...
Excellent advise!
Old 09-11-2006, 01:07 PM   #26

Trailer: 2003 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe and 1989 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Talking

Adimiro:
On your way across the country come through Colorado and we can work together to get your trailer fixed the way you want it. I have a LARGE shop that we can work in and you could stay in your trailer with hookups. Send me an e-mail.

Harv in Colo.
Old 09-06-2009, 03:07 PM   #27

Trailer: Scamp
Nancy, I just bought a 13' and live near Roseburg. Can you give the name of the business that does the work?
Thanks Kar
Old 12-13-2009, 11:13 AM   #28

Name: Melissa
Trailer: 13 ft Boler 1973
Oregon
Quote:
The majority of our major mods (fiberglass work, building cabinets and stairs, etc) were done by a small business in Roseburg, Oregon. They remodel the inside of RVs. It was the first time they had ever worked on a fiberglass trailer. We think they did an excellent job. You might check with your local RV dealers and ask them if there is anyone in the area who does interior RV modifications.

Nancy
Nancy -
Which business in Roseburg did you use? Can you direct me to pictures of the work they did? I live in Lebanon but I have an office in Roseburg that I travel to regularly.
Melissa