Where to Park/Store our 17B Escape - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2017, 10:03 PM   #1

Name: Raj
Trailer: Escape Trailer - SOLD
Florida
Where to Park/Store our 17B Escape

We are getting our new escape Trailer 17B soon, and are looking for places to Store/Park the Trailer.

Our Community in central Florida does not allow RVs, and in any case our garage could not accommodate the Trailer.

I need suggestions as to where & what kind of storage to look for ?

I am sure you have passed this juncture when you first got your Trailer

Where do you store your Trailer when not camping ?

Thanks in advance.
disneydoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 01:15 AM   #2

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
We are in a similar situation at our home here in San Antonio. No trailers allowed.

We store ours at an RV storage facility that's accessible 24 hours. We paid a premium for a covered parking space, but it was money well spent. No fading, yellowing or oxidation from being exposed continuously to the brutal south Texas sun.

Our permanent fix is to build a new place in the Hill Country where we can store the trailer on our own land. We actually closed on the land today and will be building soon.

I would suggest you look for covered storage, and that the storage company has a good rep online, good security and 24 hour access.
Old 07-08-2017, 05:58 AM   #3

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
We store our 28' Bigfoot Silver Cloud at a Public Storage facility about 4 miles from our home. We are in an uncovered spot because the covered spots have a long waiting list. Our spot is 10' x 30', so it is a tight fit!
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 06:54 AM   #4

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
+10 Think covered storage, protects against fading, degradation of caulking and exposed parts, etc.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 09:16 AM   #5

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
Do you folks that pay for storage take any special security measures?
Old 07-08-2017, 09:34 AM   #6

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Lock the hitch. Consider a boot device for a wheel. A simple metal rod with a plate or tee welded on one end can be run through two wheels and lock at the other end, preventing the wheels from turning, or being removed. Consider securing anything accessible or removable from the outside: Access doors, batteries, propane tanks. Make sure windows are locked. Inexpensive game or trail cameras operate on batteries and will run for months. one could be mounted inside looking through a small opening in curtains, aimed at the front. You may not need all these, but consider a combination.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 09:39 AM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
I'm a Sebring snowbird, 75 miles south. I had to store a trailer last winter for a month. Open storage is about $45-$50 a month. My local ACE hardware used to sell lumber but now uses their buildings for RV storage. I think they quoted me $125. per month but I had to get on a waiting list. I know groups of people in Az. and Fl. who have rented small airplane hangers and shared the expenses. Most RV dealers in town have storage lots.
I now keep my trailer in my backyard no but have to have a cover, due to the sun, sand and jacaranda leaves.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 09:48 AM   #8

Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 72 View Post
You may not need all these, but consider a combination.
This is sound advice. The idea is simple: make your trailer less attractive to a thief than the one down the row.

I lock the coupler and secure the A-frame to one of the steel posts that hold up the covered storage roof, using heavy duty chain. Some trailers in that lot could just be towed away in seconds.

They do have security gates and cameras, but the idea is layered security.
Old 07-08-2017, 11:43 AM   #9
tua

Name: Traveler
Trailer: Happier Camper
Utah
I tried storing outside in March and found the command stick on's were melting off the wall so I went indoors. I did like having almost 24/7 access to go tinker but I worried about it being stolen even though they had cameras. Sunbrella® covers protect somewhat but they still recommend cracking windows and vents when in sun and they are heavy so you would need several people to help put it on.

In order of cost:
1) Private indoor storage garage at self store locations - very pricey, need garage door lock. You may or may not have 24/7 access but you will have a lot of access. You will have power so you can keep batteries charged.
2) There is indoor storage in large warehouses - pricey but you don't need a lock and you will probably only have limited access so you may not be able to go there to do any hanging out or working on your trailer. They will usually charge your batteries every now and then for an extra charge.
3) Share a private indoor storage garage big enough for two at a self store location - A bit cheaper. You will need a lock for the garage door. You may or may not have 24/7 access but you will have a lot of access. Will also have power so you can keep batteries charged.
4) Look on craigslist to see if someone has a garage to rent that it will fit or a backyard with shade - Cheaper and you may or many not need a lock and may or many not have 24/7 access. You may or may not have power to keep batteries charged.
4) Outdoor storage areas - least expensive. May or may not have 24/7 access and you will definitely need layers of locks even with security cameras at the storage location, cover, wheel covers (although my friend always finds hers get stolen). No power to charge batteries.
tua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 12:02 PM   #10

Name: Raj
Trailer: Escape Trailer - SOLD
Florida
Thank You guys for your suggestions, now I have something to go by & start looking specifically for those places.

Keep your input coming.

Thanks again
disneydoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 02:27 PM   #11

Name: Sandra
Trailer: Parkliner SOLD November 2017
South Carolina
Registry
My HOA won't allow me to keep my Parkliner in my driveway for more than 48 hours. I store it in a fenced outdoor lot for $60 p/month. There are a lot of big Class A RV'S and boats in the lot, so I'm not too worried about getting my little egg stolen. I plan on petitioning my HOA for a variance to allow me to keep my camper in my driveway.
Sandy54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 03:34 PM   #12

Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy54 View Post
I plan on petitioning my HOA for a variance to allow me to keep my camper in my driveway.
Good luck with that Sandy. I've found most HOAs pretty inflexible when it comes to things which are visible from the curb.

If there's room on either side of your house, you might consider building a gate and storing it behind it. HOAs are usually much more receptive to that.
Old 07-08-2017, 04:54 PM   #13

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
I used to live in such HOA - Cape Coral, FL. I moved to nearby town without crazy restrictions.
Old 07-08-2017, 10:02 PM   #14

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Raj, you can park it in my back yard for free! Be sure to leave the keys. I promise not to put more than 8000 miles per year on it...
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
escape