Which eggs have double wall construction? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-02-2007, 08:25 PM   #15

Name: Pete
Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
Tennessee
I think the Oliver travel trailers are double walled and insulated. Supposedly the pipes are insulated.
I just wish I could get the guy to call me back.
Their web site says coming soon. Well I can wait until maybe next spring, no longer than that

Old 08-03-2007, 08:43 AM   #16

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
And... I've never had a Casita, but I can tell you that the insulation and rat fur used by Scamp is very effective. In any event, most of the heat loss in any of these trailers is through the windows and the door opening. My Burro was double-walled and insulated; my Scamp 16 and 19 (both Custom Deluxes) performed just as well in the cold (actually to my surprise) as did the Burro!

I was and continue to be most impressed with the Bigfoot's dual-thermopane windows and the Bigfoot cold-weather performance.

Roger
This is great to know about Scamp's insulation! It's not like I'm going to live in the thing, all winter or anything, I just would like to be able to use it fairly comfortably a half dozen times or so, in Minnesota winters. Based on all the response here I believe I will keep my options open to single wall campers too and not just limit myself to a double wall/insulated camper. I have seen some examples here of people coping Scamps insulation technique and it is good to know I could in the same manner to whatever trailer I end up with, if needed.

Thank you everyone for all the great input. I really do appreciate it!

ScottK

Old 02-22-2008, 08:19 AM   #17
Commercial Member

Name: Anders
Trailer: 2010 Coleman 325 37' fifthwheel
Arkansas
Quote:
This is great to know about Scamp's insulation! It's not like I'm going to live in the thing, all winter or anything, I just would like to be able to use it fairly comfortably a half dozen times or so, in Minnesota winters. Based on all the response here I believe I will keep my options open to single wall campers too and not just limit myself to a double wall/insulated camper. I have seen some examples here of people coping Scamps insulation technique and it is good to know I could in the same manner to whatever trailer I end up with, if needed.

Thank you everyone for all the great input. I really do appreciate it!

ScottK
>
Was just cruising through older posts and found this slightly dated post of a subject that is exactly the one that caused us to make our decision when buying a new TT.
I guess that the frames and insulation were major factors in this decision process.
Here is a link to a photo album where a couple of different frame types may be compared. They are a commonly used steel frame type and an aluminum frame being used by Oliver, made in Tennessee.
http://s262.photobucket.com/albums/i...tpartee/Frame/
This link is to an online album of a Oliver being made to one owners specifications. I find it particularly intresting that they will install a solar panel for the new owner. Note the high tech "lizzard skin" insulation being used on both inner and outer shells. This link is also a pretty good look at how the Oliver is made, as it progresses along:
http://s262.photobucket.com/albums/ii120/r...arks%20Trailer/
EDIT to add note: this second link has two pages of photos and shows the fiberglass molds that are being used, as well as the shells before and after the cut outs are made.
Anders Laurits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 09:29 AM   #18

Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
When I recently toured the Northern Lite factory I particularly noticed the insulation on those units. Fiberglass shell, rigid insulation, interior panelling, a "double thick" headliner. Looked well insulated but did not have two walls of fiberglass.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:14 PM   #19

Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13 ft
The Oliver has double wall construction with "Lizard Skin" insulation between. They refer to the inner shell as the "yolk."

Sandra
Old 03-03-2008, 02:07 PM   #20

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
In regards to Casita,
The "carpeting/insulation" on the walls & ceiling is quite effective. The only improvement I would wish for would be dual pane windows. The Coleman air conditioner has handled temps in excess of 100 degrees, and a small electric "cube" heater has kept us comfortable down into the lower "teens". Winterizing by draining the water systems is still necessary. We rarely require the air conditioner if able to be parked in the shade. Since we usually travel with a dog, and shade isn't often available, we are sometimes forced to run our propane-fueled generator to keep "Destiny" (our black Lab) cool. Sight-seeing (like at the Railroad Museum in Bishop, Ca. in August) or shopping while parked in a sunny parking lot are examples. Otherwise the Fantastic Fan handles the chore of keeping us cool.
Kurt & Ann K.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:32 AM   #21

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
Quote:
I find it particularly intresting that [Oliver] will install a solar panel for the new owner.
UHaul didn't offer a solar panel as an option - a 15W solar panel was standard on all of their eggs. And that was more than 20 years ago!

The UHauls are also double-hulled, have sealed bearings and one of the strongest frames in the FGRV world. Nice to see the industry catching up...
Old 03-07-2008, 08:39 PM   #22

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Florida
Registry

Your comment was thought-provoking.... I went back and looked through the photo albums here and at http://geocities.com/ttlic_2000/mbody No doubt, the U-haul trailer was way ahead of its time! (I also enjoyed a look at the Uhaul forum.)

It's interesting how the ideas that once were "ahead of their time" become forward-thinking... again!

Hmmm, my dad owned both an Edsel and a Studebaker....... a lot of their ideas came back as "revolutionary", too.... later

Sherry