Which is more prevalent, Scamp or Casita - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2015, 10:20 PM   #41

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Could be, Tom. There are 10 or 11 Escapes registered out of 143 trailers total.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 02-28-2015, 05:35 PM   #42

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
[QUOTE=MRClaus;506712]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy P. View Post
Scamp has a lot of appeal to those with limited towing capability yet another thing people consider.

I must say that it is not primarily limited towing capacity which generates the appeal, it more the appeal of a fully featured travel trailer in a size more conducive to travel while still offering all the comforts of home.
I held a CDL since they invented it, yet I still do not enjoy driving an oversized TV... or parking it, even without a trailer.
I enjoy being able to use the drive-up window at the bank or fast food, or parking anywhere there are two spaces in line.
I guess it is just a matter of travel style and a desire to have a fun-to-drive TV upon arrival.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 06:58 PM   #43

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I think there is a diference between fulltime living in a trailer and fulltimers who continuosly travel. We have met many full timers who spend winters in a warm climate
and summer in a more moderate climate . Three of the camp host at various Georgia SP we camped at ,spent winters in Georgia and summers in their home state of Wisconsin.
Tow vehicle mileage was not a major concern since they only make one trip down and back each a year, but having plenty of room and the comfort level was a concern . If one was to fulltime and travel all year ,I believe a fiberglass trailer would make the most sense.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 07:03 PM   #44

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Since units are sold primarily in the region of the manufacturer, main competitors would be the closest ones. Interestingly though, the current small fiberglass trailer manufacturers happen to be spread all around so that they really do not have competition. In most cases, someone would have to move into their region and then get up to their speed.

Fiberglass trailer makers in general have no competition because they all sell so few units and probably will always only have a very very tiny part of the market. Bigfoot near Escape only makes units that cannot be towed by the smaller less powerful vehicles that can be used with Escapes.

The manufacturers can all keep prospering because there are so few of them, as long as the economy does not go bad. I believe I read that the sale of RV units is up in recent years and that means more little ones, too. None of them can keep up with orders that well. They seem to be limited only by their production facilities and whether they want to expand or move or hire more employees.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 09:25 PM   #45

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathi View Post
Since units are sold primarily in the region of the manufacturer, main competitors would be the closest ones. Interestingly though, the current small fiberglass trailer manufacturers happen to be spread all around so that they really do not have competition. In most cases, someone would have to move into their region and then get up to their speed.

Fiberglass trailer makers in general have no competition because they all sell so few units and probably will always only have a very very tiny part of the market. Bigfoot near Escape only makes units that cannot be towed by the smaller less powerful vehicles that can be used with Escapes.

The manufacturers can all keep prospering because there are so few of them, as long as the economy does not go bad. I believe I read that the sale of RV units is up in recent years and that means more little ones, too. None of them can keep up with orders that well. They seem to be limited only by their production facilities and whether they want to expand or move or hire more employees.
That is a good point!
Just an observation, but maybe IllAnnoy has one advantage...we have 5 fiberglass trailer manufacturers within a day's hard drive!
Old 02-28-2015, 09:33 PM   #46

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Yes, you are in the middle of them all. You can go any direction!
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 10:10 PM   #47

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
The manufacturers can all keep prospering because there are so few of them, as long as the economy does not go bad.
That, and the inherent value of a fiberglass rv over a sticky. The word's been getting out.

Quote:
None of them can keep up with orders that well. They seem to be limited only by their production facilities and whether they want to expand or move or hire more employees.
True, and a dilemma they all face. I know in Escape's case they are at full capacity. One major question is, if you expand, can you still tightly control the build quality? Most of us Escape owners don't actually mind the 8 to 9 month wait list, because we know each trailer is gone over with a fine tooth comb, as the factory is small, and the owners get to supervise each build more closely. It also enhances customer service when you're smaller. I'm sure we all have stories of bad customer service when dealing with companies that have thousands of customers. It's a tough balancing act.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:52 AM   #48

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I appreciate how each manufacturer seems to have found its own niche in the market: Scamp in the small & entry-level market, Casita in the step-up & retiree markets, Escape in the mid-level semi-custom market, Bigfoot in the four-season market, Oliver in the high-end market. L'il Snoozy, Parkliner, and Egg Camper each offer something the others don't. There's a remarkable degree of differentiation and choice, in spite of an overall small RV market share, and that's a good thing.

I'd hate to think what would happen if any of them became too big or too successful and attracted the attention of the big RV conglomerates… imagine Casita as a division of Forest River, Inc…

How has Airstream fared as a division of Thor Industries?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 09:40 AM   #49

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I was advised that if I were interested in buying an Airstream to buy "before Thor". They had claimed that Airstream was selling a bunch of units but I noticed when looking at units in general that there were a lot of Airstreams sitting on the lots which I had never seen before in years and years of looking through ads. Forest River has different levels of quality under "you get what you pay for" and that should be expected. Generally, a $10,000 product will not perform the same as a $25,000 product. Also note that small manufacturers end up paying much more for appliances, awning, wiring, plumbing, etc. because they buy in small quantity which adds to the cost of their product, think the difference between your small town grocer and Super Wal-Mart.

We have owned one Winnebago - two Jayco - one Forest River - one Midas - one Coachmen - one Coleman - one Seabreeze micro-mini I can assure you that the older the units were built superior to what you see today. I see a lot of older, 1970s units, here in KS and most are pretty solid and still being used and commanding a pretty good price considering their age.

Nothing is ever black and white.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 12:07 PM   #50

Registry
Quote:

Nothing is ever black and white.
Your text is! ... and the fact that the best fiberglass is superior to the best stick built!
Old 03-01-2015, 01:56 PM   #51

And, the best fiberglass is? I don't think there is a real answer there that you can get everyone to agree on. Stick-built, same way. Is molded fiberglass better than stick-built? It depends on one's criteria. And, that RV Consumer group, I was present when they did an inspection in the early days when they started out and have reviewed their materials so I think we need to all make our own decisions on the "best". "Unbiased" decisions which I don't feel you get from a group that has manufacturer's as members.

Just because you see more of something in one area or another, doesn't really mean that much either. Who really cares who manufacturers more? That is not a criteria that I ever considered. Neither do I consider what "The Jones" own.

To me, the test of time is essential, finding what works and staying with that. Timeless and classic! Applies to everything I purchase when possible.
Old 03-01-2015, 02:29 PM   #52

Name: Doug
Trailer: Scamp 16 ft.
Missouri
I see Camping World selling roofing sealant for stick built trailer roofs all the time! Never need that on a molded fiberglass trailer!
Flyboyscamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 07:03 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboyscamp View Post
I see Camping World selling roofing sealant for stick built trailer roofs all the time! Never need that on a molded fiberglass trailer!
Actually, the roof sealant is for the rubber roofs. There is a reflective paint for metal roofs. You don't actually need to reseal the roof that often. With all units of any type, you must reseal the vents, over time windows, etc. so that you don't develop leaks. Anything that has sealant on it eventually can leak if the seal isn't maintained.

We don't need "rivets" for our pop-up.

It is not so much molded fiberglass that impresses me as far as its "form" but the security, size and weight that appeals to me.

There is no maintenance-free RV that I can think of. So many people today just buy something and use it until it falls apart without doing any upkeep and maintenance and then, it is the fault of the product not the person? Not the reality.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:45 AM   #54

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
South Carolina
[QUOTE=rbryan;506882]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRClaus View Post
I don't think of Escape as a competitor for Oliver. I think an Oliver is the Fiberglass alternative to an Airstream if you want to compare. With the recent drop of the CAD to the USD, I consider the price we paid for our loaded 19 a bargain.
Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
I'd agree with you rbyran. In my case, that is what I cross-shopped.

While you guys are discussing who is more prevalent, we're happy to be as rare as unicorns. Mine is number #69!
2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
Follow my blog - https://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Ron Merritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 10:01 AM   #55

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Help... I'm Falling Apart and I can't get up!

Quote:
clip....

There is no maintenance-free RV that I can think of. So many people today just buy something and use it until it falls apart without doing any upkeep and maintenance and then, it is the fault of the product not the person? Not the reality.

I agree that some peps do see a RV as a consumable, and never do any maintenance.

BUT, for that cadre, when they buy a sticky, the "Falls Apart" point will usually start about 10 years out (sometimes even sooner) and all they may have to sell is a pile of waterlogged bits and pieces. For the FGRV buyer that point will come much later and, when it does arrive they will still have a saleable rig that will become someone's project and will go on to live a 2nd, 3rd and 4th life. My point being is that, while water intrusion is often fatal to conventional construction RV's, it is seldom fatal to FGRV's.

FWIW: My last 2 projects were tent trailer pop-ups I redid for my son, and both of them were exhibiting water damage at edges and where the lift mechanisms were attached. No rivets were required.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita, scamp