Who loves a Bigfoot? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-12-2006, 10:11 PM   #15

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2011 Escape 5.0
Washington
Quote:
You learned to love the mildew, did you?

I don't have any mildew, or smell thereof. None at all. My wife is hyper-sensitive to such things, so I know it isn't just my dull nose. I suspect that the problem you are experiencing is a aberration caused by leaks before you got the trailer, or the leaky windows you mentioned in your first post.

And it bears pointing out that I DON'T have rat fur in my wee trailer. I have BIGFOOT fur. Rat fur indeed!

Old 02-12-2006, 10:16 PM   #16

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
...the plight of all of us trailer buyers in light of the fact that the damn things cost so much money?
That is closer to the point I had, I think.

My next door neighbor has a 1952 Plymouth that he has totally restored. His wife calls it "His Mistress" and complains about competing with it for his attention. I know that my Fiber Stream is [b]my mistress.

Old 02-12-2006, 10:21 PM   #17

Trailer: Lil Bigfoot
Quote:
I don't have any mildew, or smell thereof. None at all. My wife is hyper-sensitive to such things, so I know it isn't just my dull nose. I suspect that the problem you are experiencing is a aberration caused by leaks before you got the trailer, or the leaky windows you mentioned in your first post.

And it bears pointing out that I DON'T have rat fur in my wee trailer. I have BIGFOOT fur. Rat fur indeed!
Really? The worst areas of mildew in ours are down behind the kitchenette, where someone splashed water for 15 years before we bought it. Blech. So is yours an upholstered interior or a hard-siding interior?
Old 02-12-2006, 10:22 PM   #18

Trailer: Lil Bigfoot
Quote:
That is closer to the point I had, I think.

My next door neighbor has a 1952 Plymouth that he has totally restored. His wife calls it "His Mistress" and complains about competing with it for his attention. I know that my Fiber Stream is [b]my mistress.
HA!
Old 02-13-2006, 06:33 AM   #19

Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
Holly, there are other options to using foam board for insulation. Do a search on "Reflectix". It's used in Scamp (and undoubtedly others) as an insulated backing for the fuzzy carpet-like material lovingly known as 'rat fur' in Scamps. It's a metallicized plastic bubble wrap that has excellent insulating qualities, is fairly easy to work with, and will bend around compound curves. It may be a little more expensive than the foam board, but it will come in a roll, and it'll certainly be easier to use.

The problems you have with leaks in your Bigfoot just come with older travel trailers, period. I have had a number of them over the years. The difference with the fiberglass trailers is that the little leaks don't cause the structure to rot and deteriorate. That said, every through-hull is a potential leak spot, and I've even had some on my '02 Scamp already where the <gasp... this is a four-letter word around fiberglass...> silicone sealant used at the factory on some screws didn't adhere well. DON'T use silicone for ANYTHING on a fiberglass trailer in your quest for sealing leaks!

It doesn't sound like you have anything significantly worse than most of us have seen at one time or another in a trailer the age of yours, regardless of brand.

Roger
Old 02-13-2006, 12:48 PM   #20

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
Dave, don`t you find the Bigfoot fur kinda matted, long and scraggly? At least in the supposed pictures of the Yeti it looked like that........Benny
Old 02-13-2006, 07:57 PM   #21

Washington
Quote:
Really? The worst areas of mildew in ours are down behind the kitchenette, where someone splashed water for 15 years before we bought it. Blech. So is yours an upholstered interior or a hard-siding interior?

It's fuzzy inside. It's not quite the same as Scamp's fuzzy interior but the same idea. It's actually quite nice to lean against while reading or watching tube or contemplating navel.

After I'd had the trailer a couple months I sprang a leak under the sink. Wound up replacing all the plumbing and fittings (including the faucet assembly) with stock household fittings from Home Depot. It all weighs a couple pounds more now but I feel more secure with proper fittings. If you decide to keep the kitchen, that might be a place to look for water. I don't think I could manage to splash water down behind the kitchenette in my trailer. It's sealed with a nice backsplash.

If it would be helpful, I could email some pictures of the interior of the Littlefoot. There are also some Lil Bigfoot pictures in the album section.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:00 PM   #22

Washington
Quote:
Dave, don`t you find the Bigfoot fur kinda matted, long and scraggly? At least in the supposed pictures of the Yeti it looked like that........Benny

Well, as you all know, those pictures were fakes. Turns out real Bigfoot fur is short, soft, grey and cushy, with a nice woodsy smell.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:57 PM   #23

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
Quote:
contemplating navel.
See, now thats where to smooth reflective walls would come in handy. You can see your navel lint from several angles.. thus insuring you won't miss a bit of fuzz.

Tags
bigfoot