Who loves a Bigfoot? - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-12-2006, 04:38 PM   #1

Trailer: Lil Bigfoot
What is all the fuss about the 13' Bigfoots anyway? I think they're a silly design when compared to the double-wall construction of the Burros and U-Hauls - is it all about brand snobbishness, or is there some feature I'm missing?

We have a 1990 with leaky windows and fabric interior upholstery that molds and mildews between trips and is virtually uncleanable (as is everything behind it). We call it the Magical Mildew Machine. Frankly, it sucks.

Mind you, we're about to gut the little sucker and sacrifice the sink/stove (which we have never used anyway - who wants to cook in such a little space and then splash dishwater on your bed?) to make way for a king bed. And we're replacing that nasty interior fabric with vinyl panelling.

How hard do you think it will be to get new windows?

Old 02-12-2006, 04:52 PM   #2

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
It would be impossible to do what you want with a Burro or Uhual. The inner hull is part of the structure, and furniture re-arrangement is just NOT in the cards for them.

The shells are individualy thinner than the single shell of your bigfoot, so cutting away any bits will seriously jepordize the integrity of the coach.

All other brands are pretty easily modified, but I would check with Bigfoot first and see if they know how cutting away part of the biggest bit of furniture will effect the structure.

That being said, Burro windows also leak, as do all brands. This is a common maintainence item. Pull the windows and reseal with butyl tape, re install, your good for a few more years. Bigfoot does not have the corner on the leaky window market.

Now, the rat fur getting wet is another problem, and your idea about getting rid of it and replacing with ensolite is a good one. (I didn't know Bigfoot used rat fur) Some folks here have done just that. All the info was lost in the crash tho.

Hopefully, they will chime in.

Oh, and Bigfoot is recognized as being at the upper edge of quality in construction and longevity. Thats why folks want em! Like I mentioned, your problems are not unique to BF, the windows are part of owning a trailer. Everybody has to do it eventually, and at a regular interval.

My next new trailer will be a Bigfoot 17. I would get one now, but I can't justify a big tow vehicle at the moment.

Old 02-12-2006, 05:30 PM   #3

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
What is all the fuss about the [b]13' Bigfoots anyway? I think they're a silly design when compared to the double-wall construction of the Burros and U-Hauls - is it all about brand snobbishness, [b]or is there some feature I'm missing?
The [b]13' Bigfoot trailers are not made anymore; maybe you have found the reason why. The smallest Bigfoot still in production is the [b]17'. And, it is significantly different in design from the 13'.
Old 02-12-2006, 06:09 PM   #4

Quote:
It would be impossible to do what you want with a Burro or Uhual. The inner hull is part of the structure, and furniture re-arrangement is just NOT in the cards for them.

The shells are individualy thinner than the single shell of your bigfoot, so cutting away any bits will seriously jepordize the integrity of the coach.

All other brands are pretty easily modified, but I would check with Bigfoot first and see if they know how cutting away part of the biggest bit of furniture will effect the structure.

That being said, Burro windows also leak, as do all brands. This is a common maintainence item. Pull the windows and reseal with butyl tape, re install, your good for a few more years. Bigfoot does not have the corner on the leaky window market.

Now, the rat fur getting wet is another problem, and your idea about getting rid of it and replacing with ensolite is a good one. (I didn't know Bigfoot used rat fur) Some folks here have done just that. All the info was lost in the crash tho.

Hopefully, they will chime in.

Oh, and Bigfoot is recognized as being at the upper edge of quality in construction and longevity. Thats why folks want em! Like I mentioned, your problems are not unique to BF, the windows are part of owning a trailer. Everybody has to do it eventually, and at a regular interval.

My next new trailer will be a Bigfoot 17. I would get one now, but I can't justify a big tow vehicle at the moment.
It doesn't have rat fur insulation, the fabric is over (as in, glued directly to) foam board.
Old 02-12-2006, 06:10 PM   #5

Quote:
The [b]13' Bigfoot trailers are not made anymore; maybe you have found the reason why. The smallest Bigfoot still in production is the [b]17'. And, it is significantly different in design from the 13'.
Well, I'll buy that, but then why do you suppose they stopped making the double-hulled ones? Ya know, we just want something clean *and* easy to tow...

*sigh*
Old 02-12-2006, 06:12 PM   #6

So, anybody want to trade a 13 foot Bigfoot for a 16 foot U-Haul?
Old 02-12-2006, 06:34 PM   #7

Name: Ches
Trailer: 1992 Kustom Koach 17 FT
British Columbia
When we buy a used unit,unless its in good shape it will most likely have to be fixed up.Lots of folks here do just that.It kinda like a hobby.If your not in the fixing mode possibly look for a newer modle of fiberglass unit.
Old 02-12-2006, 07:46 PM   #8

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
It doesn't have rat fur insulation, the fabric is over (as in, glued directly to) foam board.
I assume that by "foam board" Holly means expanded polystyrene (EPS) foam insulation board, as currently used by Bigfoot (and just about every stick-built).

I understand how Bigfoot uses relatively rigid EPS foam in their current units: they have very square corners and flat surfaces to accommodate it, getting more that way with each generation (currently at the 2500 series). I have only seen one 13' Bigfoot - which is from an earlier era as Frederick mentioned - and even then only while driving by in a parking lot*; I would be interested in seeing how the corners are handled in that more classic egg shape, with rigid foam. Posting [b]photos from the renovation would be great.

Holly, you mention changing to "vinyl panelling"; is your plan to use rigid sheet panels, or a flexible material such as Ensolite? And will you keep (or replace with similar new) the EPS foam?

* So why would someone take their egg to Ikea, the furniture store?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 07:55 PM   #9

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
i always found half of the fun is to restore life to my tt's .
Attached Thumbnails
a11.JPG   a10.JPG  

a13.JPG  
Old 02-12-2006, 09:13 PM   #10

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2011 Escape 5.0
Washington
I love my Lil Bigfoot. I'd love it more if it was 2" inches taller on the inside, and that's the only reason I'll get another trailer when I can.

'Nuf said.
Old 02-12-2006, 09:31 PM   #11

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

Quote:
Well, I'll buy that, but then [b]why do you suppose they stopped making the double-hulled ones? Ya know, we just want something clean *and* easy to tow...

*sigh*
...that you can afford to own.

My speculation is that the root of the problem is [b]money. I feel a diatribe comming on, so I'll just go to my room right now...
Old 02-12-2006, 10:01 PM   #12

Quote:
I assume that by "foam board" Holly means expanded polystyrene (EPS) foam insulation board, as currently used by Bigfoot (and just about every stick-built).

I understand how Bigfoot uses relatively rigid EPS foam in their current units: they have very square corners and flat surfaces to accommodate it, getting more that way with each generation (currently at the 2500 series). I have only seen one 13' Bigfoot - which is from an earlier era as Frederick mentioned - and even then only while driving by in a parking lot*; I would be interested in seeing how the corners are handled in that more classic egg shape, with rigid foam. Posting [b]photos from the renovation would be great.

Holly, you mention changing to "vinyl panelling"; is your plan to use rigid sheet panels, or a flexible material such as Ensolite? And will you keep (or replace with similar new) the EPS foam?

* So why would someone take their egg to Ikea, the furniture store?
That *is* what I mean by "foam board". We're considering either a semi-rigid vinyl panel OR a birch plywood. I shall post some pictures as we deconstruct, however, I doubt we will be able to find a rigid-ish panel that *we* will have any success in turning those stubborn double corners with so we will likely remove the insulation in the corners and sand and paint the underlying fiberglass. Heck, if my husband didn't think condensation would be such an issue (put away those dirty minds, now, we'll have the kids with us - LOL!) I'd want to take the whole thing down to the fiberglass.
Old 02-12-2006, 10:02 PM   #13

Quote:
I love my Lil Bigfoot. I'd love it more if it was 2" inches taller on the inside, and that's the only reason I'll get another trailer when I can.

'Nuf said.
You learned to love the mildew, did you?

Old 02-12-2006, 10:04 PM   #14

Quote:
...that you can afford to own.
My speculation is that the root of the problem is [b]money. I feel a diatribe comming on, so I'll just go to my room right now...
You mystify me Freddy - was your diatribe going to be aimed at my complaints in light of the fact that I have no money or would spend no money, or at the plight of all of us trailer buyers in light of the fact that the things cost so much money?

Tags
bigfoot