Why not just level with a jack? - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 01:16 PM   #61

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I will ask that thread participants refrain from taking personal attacks here. It is against our Community Rules (please review), and will not be tolerated.

Anyone is allowed an opinion, no matter how far off base you may think it is. Respectful, not snide, responses make for a more civil discussion.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 06-05-2015, 03:15 PM   #62

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
What exactly is the problem? If that part of the Wal-Mart parking lot isn't level you just move to a part that is. Right?

I have used the lego blocks for many, many years and they work fine. I used them in the past to level a 38 ft. school bus camper. Now I use them to level a 3 meter scamp. Handle both jobs just fine.

They can be a bit annoying about scooting out as you back onto them on some surfaces. Do require a bit of guessing as to how many "steps" you need to get level but accuracy for that task comes with experience. At one time I had a few pieces of plywood cut to go under them for that extra 1/2 step or for soft ground.

Anything that "levels" off of the wheels is going to have some give, that after all is what a suspension does. The tongue and rear stabilizers help with that but only going off the frame eliminates it. Frame leveling is just not worth it to me unless I was going to be someplace for a good long while. Even then I would want jack stands under the frame on the high side as well as on the low side to supplement the jack.

Digging the high side down is something that I think would rarely be appropriate in a rustic setting and might well get you some flack in a state or private park. I suppose in some sand or sand & gravel environments it would be ok, provided you replaced your divots when you pulled out.
Old 06-05-2015, 06:50 PM   #63

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Quote: "What exactly is the problem? If that part of the Wal-Mart parking lot isn't level you just move to a part that is. Right? "

1. Most WalMart parking lots are not level, they are sloped for: a)drainage and b) to be sure that shopping carts that weren't returned will crash into someone's vehicle when they try to find their way home.

2. Using stabilizers or leveling blocks in WalMart parking lots is considered to be in poor form as one is "Parking" not "Camping". One of the reasons that some lots are closed to overnighting is due to damage done by larger behemoths motorhome owners that press a button and all four leveling rams go down and damage the pavement on hot days. When asked about this, their usual comment is usually something like "It's our RIGHT to be level in America".

Old 06-05-2015, 08:27 PM   #64

Name: Dex
Trailer: Casita 17' 2000 Dodge Dakota 3.9L
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
Digging the high side down is something that I think would rarely be appropriate in a rustic setting and might well get you some flack in a state or private park. I suppose in some sand or sand & gravel environments it would be ok, provided you replaced your divots when you pulled out.
How about shoveling some dirt under the low side? No digging required, just move it around some.
Old 06-05-2015, 08:44 PM   #65

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
I try not to dig up the ground. I bring lengths of wood because I'm too cheap to buy the leveling blocks. I've got a couple of 2x6s and a couple of 1x6s. So far, they've handled all the uneven territory I've camped in.
Old 06-06-2015, 07:23 AM   #66

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
Registry
So, what have we learned from this series of posts about methods for leveling your camper. As I see it:
You can use a jack but not if it looks like it will slip off, leak fluid, or bend the axle you are attempting to raise.

You can use wooden boards, but not if it is expected to rain.

You can use Legos if you have enough of them along. If you don't, then also use wood blocks for fine-tuning additional height.

Jack stands are OK if you don't mind having to crawl under the vehicle to position them

You can use a shovel for digging a depression, but only if it does not result in an actual hole

Scissor jacks are OK if you are good at holding it in position under the trailer while also cranking it up.

Anderson Levelers are nice if you are into color, as well as expensive.

If you have been using stabilizers for leveling or jacking on one corner of the camper, don't do that or you will end up with a twisted-sister camper body or something.

You can use a BAL leveler if you have a light trailer, like carrying around clunky items, and you are setting up on a hard, parking lot-type surface and have half a day to get it ratcheted only a few inches high. Why don't they ever demonstrate it's use on softer soils?? I love the concluding comment in one of the U-Tube videos, “If, with the BAL leveler fully extended, the camper is still not level “Side to Side”, lower and remove the BAL leveler. You will need to reposition your camper to a site that is a bit more level.” You think??

Who knew there is actually a protocol for the use of leveling blocks in Wal-Mart parking lots.

Axle companies don't like people lifting trailers by any of their “running gear suspension”, whatever that includes!

Imaginative laws of physics, heretofore completely unknown to mankind come into play on axles when a wheel hits a pot hole at speed. They were pulled out of somewhere but I am pretty sure it was not from a physics textbook.
From a prior post, “Two major ways to learn stuff, the easy way by reading or other forms of information intake, or by the school of hard knocks.” After reading some of these posts, I'm not sure which if any, is the better method in this case.

Have you ever heard of the pioneers leveling their covered wagons at night with a BAL? Nope, me neither! Have you ever seen pictures of Indians leveling their tipis with screw jacks? I don't think soo. Can you imagine if Indians were plagued with tribal trial lawyers who required warning tags cautioning against jacking any tipi wooden “structural supports”.

Therefore, for any true RVer, my favorite method is I believe, still the best - Leveling the camper by backing up over a few smaller stones found at the site. The round ones are best as they aren't as sharp on the tires. They say so much about the owner's RVing skills and shows other campers who is top dog at the park. They are historically authentic to the camping experience, cheap, ecologically friendly, and you don't have to carry them around. I suspect the reason you don't see that method used very often, so many just are not up to that skill level! What are the schools teaching kids today anyway??

Finally, another little known fact - cartoonists who draw comic strips and greeting card messages about old people get their inspiration for characters by reading posts on RV sites. Yup, you can trust me on that!
Old 06-06-2015, 08:04 AM   #67

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Quote: "Who knew there is actually a protocol for the use of leveling blocks in Wal-Mart parking lots"

WalMart offers "Parking", not camping. and it doesn't take a Rocket Scientist to understand that damaging parking lot surfaces will lead to that privilege being suspended for all.

There are several very good Yahoo sites that maintain lists of where parking is still allowed at Wal-Mart stores as well as discuss good manners, something that some seem to lack. As soon as Wal-Mart store management has to deal with overnighter problems at a particular store, the No Overnight Parking signs start to go up.

Old 06-06-2015, 08:28 AM   #68

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
We are now up to page 5 and post number 58. This leveling thing seems to have taken on a life of its own. Even Christopher Columbus knew the world wasn't flat so deal with it!

If the process of leveling is so difficult and you can't bring yourself to employ the simple board method I have a suggestion....sell your trailer and buy one of those $100,000+ Class A Motor Homes....they have push button automatic leveling systems!

Happy Camping
Old 06-06-2015, 08:50 AM   #69

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Why not just level with a jack?

This has been an interesting thread, and not for the faint-of-heart.

There's some good information for beginners here, if they can separate the wheat from the chaff. And if not, they shouldn't be looking on an Internet forum in the first place.

I've enjoyed the give-and-take and learned a couple of things. In the end we will each do as we think best and live with the consequences of our choices. That's life.

I'm off to Pismo Beach tomorrow. With my Lego blocks.
Old 06-06-2015, 09:39 AM   #70

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scamper Jim View Post
Therefore, for any true RVer, my favorite method is I believe, still the best - Leveling the camper by backing up over a few smaller stones found at the site. The round ones are best as they aren't as sharp on the tires. They say so much about the owner's RVing skills and shows other campers who is top dog at the park. They are historically authentic to the camping experience, cheap, ecologically friendly, and you don't have to carry them around.
I've been to many a RV park where there aren't 'smaller stones' around. (What do you do then to level the RV?) And isn't moving 'smaller stones' to fill in a hole, just the same thing as moving dirt to fill in the hole? That is when a shovel comes in handy.
Old 06-06-2015, 10:10 AM   #71

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
For me, I like to keep it simple. Which to me is levelling blocks. I used to carry a bunch of 10" treated 2x6's, with a bevel on the ends for easy up. They worked great, and the neutral colour for me was nice.

I did give in and buy a carton of Lynx blocks. There are much lighter, take up less space, and fit into a nice carrying bag. Ugly as sin, neon orange colour, but I have learned to live with it.

The Anderson levellers seem to be popular, but are too bulky for my liking.

I can't imagine digging a hole, and can't imagine it would be allowed in many places. The time to get it right would be way longer than putting a simple block or two under the tire, in my way of thinking anyway.

Even using a jack, or even jack stands, seems like a lot more work than simple levelling blocks.

Kinda curious as to why some seem to have an aversion to the tried and true method of blocks?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 06-06-2015, 10:51 AM   #72

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Why not just level with a jack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextersp1 View Post
I've been to many a RV park where there aren't 'smaller stones' around. (What do you do then to level the RV?) And isn't moving 'smaller stones' to fill in a hole, just the same thing as moving dirt to fill in the hole? That is when a shovel comes in handy.

I think I detected a hint of humor in that suggestion. Trying to bring a contentious thread in for a soft landing, perhaps?
Old 06-06-2015, 10:52 AM   #73

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
We like the simplicity of the Andersen Levelers. Nothing to adjust. They fit nicely in the front storage box on our trailer. No fooling with jacks, stacking blocks, or the like.
Attached Thumbnails
Andersen Levelers.jpg  
Old 06-06-2015, 10:54 AM   #74

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I think I detected a hint of humor in that suggestion. Trying to bring a contentious thread in for a soft landing, I think.
I guess I missed the 'contentious' part.
Old 06-08-2015, 09:40 AM   #75

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
In this day and age it is easy to go online and find "manufactured stones" to use for leveling. However it is difficult to find them in fiberglass sufficiently reinforced to support a fiberglass camper, so the highly desirable "all fiberglass all the time" camping experience is doubtful, but cultured stone leveling rocks can be attractive and impossible to distinguish from the real thing, at a distance, or when intoxicated, or driving past at a decent clip, dim lighting helps too.

So just in case the park does not have the "stones" that let you be top dog, you can pack your own concrete ones, with several designs allowing you to impersonate river or field stones.

Are a little heavy compared to the other options but water is heavy too and we take that. Come to think of it I'm no lite weight and I'm brought along on the trip. Oh yeah I have the leveling legos.
Old 06-08-2015, 10:35 AM   #76

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
In this day and age it is easy to go online and find "manufactured stones" to use for leveling. However it is difficult to find them in fiberglass sufficiently reinforced to support a fiberglass camper, so the highly desirable "all fiberglass all the time" camping experience is doubtful, but cultured stone leveling rocks can be attractive and impossible to distinguish from the real thing, at a distance, or when intoxicated, or driving past at a decent clip, dim lighting helps too.

So just in case the park does not have the "stones" that let you be top dog, you can pack your own concrete ones, with several designs allowing you to impersonate river or field stones.

Are a little heavy compared to the other options but water is heavy too and we take that. Come to think of it I'm no lite weight and I'm brought along on the trip. Oh yeah I have the leveling legos.
Due to the detrimental effects on climate change, you should not move stones. Stones absorb heat during the day and release it during the night. Without them the days would become hotter and nights colder.

Concrete ones create green house gases when made and the extra weight causes the use of more gas.

If moving some dirt into the low side is not technical enough how about these?

Sava High Pressure Flat-Form Inflatable Lifting Bags | Source One Environmental
Old 06-08-2015, 12:24 PM   #77

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
While my personal preferences is to use the small light lynx blocks I am a very happy camper if those I camp with fill up their tugs with wood to use for levelling & then do not need it to level - as was proven out this week-end it comes in real handy on a long night around the campfire and we run out of fire wood :-)
Old 06-08-2015, 12:47 PM   #78

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra olafson View Post
Does anyone have a picture of the BAL
BAL makes more products than the wheel lift. For instance...I have BAL stabilizers on my Scamp. Here is what I figure you meant though...

Old 06-09-2015, 07:33 PM   #79

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Quote:
We are starting to rehash the same arguments again... rock, wood, jacks, legos,
holes, bal levelers. Maybe its time to all agree to disagree,, that there are different methods, some maybe safer, some maybe more work,,,, and someone will have an argument against any one of them.

I don't see hat there is any new ground to cover here.
Old 06-09-2015, 07:44 PM   #80

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Garlow View Post
We are starting to rehash the same arguments again... rock, wood, jacks, legos,
holes, bal levelers. Maybe its time to all agree to disagree,, that there are different methods, some maybe safer, some maybe more work,,,, and someone will have an argument against any one of them.

I don't see hat there is any new ground to cover here.
I honestly don't thing "agreement" is necessary. If it works for you and it's relatively safe go for it. I'm a strong believer in the BAL Leveler, but also carry legos and a bottle jack. Have all the above under different circumstances, Lego to add extra length the stabilizers or tongue jack, Legos the one time I needed to raise both wheels so I could get the tongue jack down. Last summer I had to use the bottle jack as a stabilizer. The inner in one of the stabilizers came out some place along a 12 washboard gravel road. There's no one size fits all.