Why not silicone? (Split from Forums 101) - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-27-2015, 11:16 AM   #15

Thanks! I needed to hear that and my husband will be equally happy to know I am not going to go into panic mode over a little silicon.

Old 03-27-2015, 11:25 AM   #16

Name: Sarah
Trailer: 1984 13' Scamp named "Ramblin Rose"
Texas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHayter View Post
the rear has me perplexed. I have watched videos and feel fairly confident, but actually not so much! Lol.... I can't find the Lock strip tool here in town and I don't want to take the time to order one as this needs taken care of ASAP.
I got mine from amazon - http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-47000-Wi...dp/B000COA1CQ/

If you have prime you get it in 2 days, or you can pay an extra $4 and get it overnight.

You don't mention if you have the replacement seal already for the rear window, but the lockstrip tool won't do you much good without it - and my seal took about a week to get to me when I ordered it from scamp, I had the tool itself MUCH faster

The rear window is also the easier of the two to install - the front is trickier because it has more of a curve to it.

Old 03-27-2015, 11:37 AM   #17

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Bigfoot B-17 CB
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by global2edg View Post
Sikaflex looks like great alternative. Does it come in any other form other than tubes for caulk guns?
I've used it many times on boats and it's great. I've only seen it in small squeeze tubes or caulk gun cartridges. After it's opened, it should be used quickly. Bu that, I mean if you go back a month later the remainder of the product may be unusable. Also it is very difficult to take something apart later. It does a wonderful job if properly used but should also be considered permanent. If you think silicone is hard to remove, this is lots more difficult to remove.
Old 03-27-2015, 12:26 PM   #18

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Silicone? Not all are created equal.

CLIP-----"[QUOTE=Thom Rowland;512358]I worked as a maintenance technician for a major airline for over 30 years. We used silicon as a sealant all the time."

I am just repeating the observations I have made working on molded fiberglass RV's for a number of years.

Besides the technicians being well paid and trained to do proper prep first, one would hope that the silicone sealant used in aircraft applications isn't the same stuff as RV peeps are buying at their local Home Depot.

Once, when I was in Germany, I was given a roll of repair tape. It was intended for emergency military aircraft repair and it was labeled "Sub Sonic use only" Although it looks the same, I think that it too was somewhat different than the Duct Tape we know, use and love.

Let me guess: Aircraft grade silicone sealant = $50 a tube?
Old 03-27-2015, 12:29 PM   #19

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
It should also be noted that if you have a propane detector in your trailer, you should turn it off if using silicone. The gas that comes off as the silicone dries KILLS the sensor.
Old 03-27-2015, 03:22 PM   #20

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
The anti silicone sealants is based on nonsense and lack of knowledge. There's many many types of silicon sealant out there. A person needs to do a bit of research to know which one to use. There is NO one size fits all. Some clean up with a bit more effort than others. That may be the one that works the best.
It's not much different than other types of adhesives, some work good under one condition and not well under other conditions.
Go to your local home depot or Lowes and see how many different tubes of silicone sealants are on the shelf.
Old 03-27-2015, 04:09 PM   #21

California
Lack of Knowledge?

CLIP "[QUOTE=Byron Kinnaman;512400]The anti silicone sealants is based on nonsense and lack of knowledge."

Yep, it must be true, I have only worked on over 100 RV's for both myself and paying customers over the years, and have peeled off untold feet of leaky silicone sealant. But, then again, I only have an 18th grade education, so trying to figure out all this scientific stuff at the local Home Depot must just be beyond my comprehension.

Maybe someone that is more knowledgeable than I can specify exactly what silicone products do work with FGRV's and, of course, can be successfully used with minimal preparation and/or skills.
Old 03-27-2015, 04:13 PM   #22

California
BTW: Most manufacturers use application specific silicone sealants when building RV's. But only warrantee seams and windows against leakage for 1 year, in other words, 3-4 uses for the average new RV buyer. I wonder why?????
Old 03-27-2015, 04:34 PM   #23

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
[QUOTE=Bob Miller;512404]CLIP "
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
The anti silicone sealants is based on nonsense and lack of knowledge."

Yep, it must be true, I have only worked on over 100 RV's for both myself and paying customers over the years, and have peeled off untold feet of leaky silicone sealant. But, then again, I only have an 18th grade education, so trying to figure out all this scientific stuff at the local Home Depot must just be beyond my comprehension.

Maybe someone that is more knowledgeable than I can specify exactly what silicone products do work with FGRV's and, of course, can be successfully used with minimal preparation and/or skills.
I would think that somebody with an 18th grade education could do the necessary research and inform everybody else.
Old 03-27-2015, 04:43 PM   #24

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
You guys south of the 49th are slow learners. We only need 12 grades up here.

Silicone has become a generic term for any sealant that comes out of a tube, to many folks. There are lots of great sealants available, including silicone, but it is not the best choice for most applications in an RV. It can actually do a great job used properly, but if there is ever any maintenance work done on whatever it is used to mount, it is hellish to both remove the attached piece, as well as remove the silicone. Though, with the right cleaners, and lots and lots of elbow grease it can be removed.

Still, I would use butyl tape for almost any sealant needs on an RV.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 04:45 PM   #25

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 17' DLX
Alaska
Registry
The problem with silicone is not silicone itself, but its misuse. Like any sealing material, it is suitable for some uses, and not others. The nucleus of the problem with it seems to start when inexperienced RV owners run down to the home center searching for something to solve a problem, generally a leak, and not being able to find any alternatives, buy a tube of "caulk" and glop it into the void/gap/hole (or whatever) that is the source of the leak. Even worse, many people think caulk is caulk, regardless of whether it's silicone or latex.

My vintage Bigfoot, which I bought from the original owner, was riddled with the stuff and in almost every case, I felt that its use was totally inappropriate. For instance, if a window is leaking, pull it out and reseal it properly with new butyl tape. Don't just glop silicone across the top of the window frame and hope for the best. It's not that hard to reseal a window, even for a total amateur.

One of the rubber perimeter seals on another window had shrunk considerably over the years but instead of fixing it, the PO filled the gap between the seal and frame with silicone. After cleaning off all the goop, I was able to gently heat the rubber and stretch it back into place pretty easily. All it took was a little heat and finesse and that 26-year old rubber seal is still there, right where it's supposed to be. No silicone needed, no gaps.

But this all takes thought and effort, and a lot of people are too impatient, and perhaps too ignorant, to make the effort to do things right. Silicone seems like a simple solution to a myriad of problems to the uninformed. So it stands to reason that so many RV owners are frustrated with the stuff since it can be a PITA to get rid of when correcting the problem.

I've eliminated almost all of it from my trailer but that didn't happen without considerable time and effort. So yeah, I think twice before using it. But hey, that's just me. Your mileage may vary.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:04 PM   #26

California
Research not needed

[QUOTE=Byron Kinnaman;512410]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
CLIP "

I would think that somebody with an 18th grade education could do the necessary research and inform everybody else.
So you are suggesting that I do research to recommend doing something that I already know, from extensive experience, doesn't work?????

If someone is supporting the idea, they need to do the supporting research. Again, there MAY be silicone sealer that works under SOME conditions, but I have seen so many failures & problems from using it that I stand behind recommending to not use it.

And, if one particular type does work, you can be sure that others will try to transfer that information to what doesn't work.

Butyl and RV Putty tape works for 10-20 years, all other stuff is used at one's own risk and peril.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:08 PM   #27

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Once again Bob, I agree with you. This is getting to be a habit.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:24 PM   #28
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
I also agree Bob

One thing many do not know is that silicon has an expiry date. If it is opened or past the expiry date there is the possibility it may not cure. This results in a real mess

Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote