window replacement - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2009, 07:32 AM   #1

Trailer: 1978 Boler 13 ft
I need to replace the 2 small windows on my '78 13' boler. The one in the door and the one over the stove.

Can someone point me in the right direction ordering them?
matt scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 08:33 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Scamp has really good prices in comparison to other resources. Or, maybe eBay? Other than that... from the Helpful Links: Windows and Window Parts
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 09:08 AM   #3

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Hi Matt,

You must be talking about that neat looking 1978 Boler -- you bought the one in Atlanta, right? Congrats!

Are the windows like these?

Click image for larger version

Name:	window_hehr_small.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	24970

I'm not sure why you need to replace them: Is it because they are broken? The trailer looked pretty nice in the photos, but..? They are really nifty, functional windows (to my mind); maybe they could be repaired if they have problems? The "backframe gasket" that seals them to the camper is available from Vintage Trailer Supply, as is the gasket that goes around the oval part, and, I believe, the cranks as well.

Perhaps you just don't like them and/or want different functionality, or... (Recommendations might change once we knew the reason(s).)

If they are working, and you remove them, please save them or offer them up for sale - they are pretty much irreplaceable nowadays.

If you are going to buy new ones - I don't know of any new, ready-made square-cornered windows you can purchase for those locations (if anyone does, please pipe in!). All of the new ones I have seen have radiused corners (not just on the window part, but on the whole frame). These could be installed, but you would either have to make them larger (and so cut radii in the new openings - but watch that you don't run into furniture, rounded shell areas, or etc.); or keep the same size and fill in the shell opening's corners with fiberglass prior to installing them.

If you do go with the radiused ones in the same size, Scamp buys in volume and had good prices when I checked, as Donna also mentioned.

Another idea is to check RV salvage places (if yours are irrepairably broken, and you want more of the same), as I've seen the same exact type of window in older "stick built" campers.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 11:36 AM   #4

they were broken and had already been removed.......just had tape on as a cover.
thanks
Old 11-11-2009, 11:49 AM   #5

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Ah, gotcha. And I guess by your reply that you don't even have the "carcasses" to work with? Shoot!

Then (just to summarize my lengthy tome above), I'd say it would be down to either finding some used ones just like those, or doing either some cutting or fiberglassing to install the new, radius-cornered ones.

Either way, I'd vote for getting them jalousie-style (i.e. "crank outs") - I virtually never close my stove/door windows all the way unless I'm towing. The PO's of my trailer had "crack stove and door windows for ventilation" on their "put away trailer" list, and I'm guessing that went a long way to preserving the fresh, mold-free trailer I bought.

Raya

PS: I wonder if the PO might have saved the old windows?

PPS: I didn't mean to be nosy in my previous post - and it always drives me nuts when people have to "challenge" something that a person wants, as if they can't just have their own reasons - I just thought that knowing more about why you were replacing them might inform our replies.
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 12:03 PM   #6

Hey Raya - I really liked your response and appreciated your thoughts. I probably should have added more to my first question I guess so everyone would have known more about my situation.

Thanks! Keep the thoughts coming.