Window Seals - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2010, 05:25 PM   #1

Trailer: Burro 13 ft 1984
Hi I have a 1984 13 ft. Burro and the windows are all leaking. They need new seals or rubber or whatever you call it.Anyway I need ideas on where to purchase it so I can replace all of them. thanks
Pamela McBroome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 06:04 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
Hi I have a 1984 13 ft. Burro and the windows are all leaking. They need new seals or rubber or whatever you call it.Anyway I need ideas on where to purchase it so I can replace all of them. thanks
Pamela, Are they leaking around the panes /sliding track? Or, are they leaking between the hull and the frame? Once that is clear someone will have a solution.

There is no such thing as an all black cat.
Tom U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 01:45 AM   #3

Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
Registry
Cool

Quote:
Pamela - Whatever you do, DON"T USE SILICONE! Donna will boot you off the board! (JK!)

Seriously, though, check Tom's questions. I had one window that leaked just enough to irritate us all. Only in heavy downpours, or towing in heavy rain, but still....it was enough. But run a hose over it to test? NOTHING! Enough to drive a girl to madness! I finally just pulled the window, sealed (with silicone 'cause Donna hadn't schooled me yet), and then...rain and a leak! DANG!

But when I had taken the windows out, I noticed that the four corners aren't welded/saudered together, but screwed together! So, when the leak arose again, I went straight to those screws for answers and DANGED if the water wasn't just finding its way through the screw hole and down the threads into the window and frame and wall. I smeared silicone all over the threads up to and into the screw hole (a great use for silicon, IMHO, because I don't EVER intend for these screws to come out since they don't affect my ability to uninstall/reinstall/open or otherwise fiddle with these windows).

TA-DAH! No leak!

"Nowhere to be and all day to get there." - The Bills
JenPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 06:06 AM   #4

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Try this company maybe you could find something to work.
http://www.metrommp.com/
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 09:08 AM   #5

Trailer: 84 U-Haul CT
Hi Pam,
If it's the channels, look here
Perfect Fit http://www.perfectfit.com/15594/156059/Gla...ked-Lining.html
and the largest are VERY TIGHT. Window "handle" even came unglued when closing the window with force - so now I use a dent puller to slide the windows haha. I actually used the soft side of velcro for the back window and it slides very smooth. I am pleased with the windows but they are old and will need replacing sometime ~ but I'll wait til I decide to paint because they don't leak unless its a real frog strangler.

If aesthetics aren't a big concern, use eternabond tape - relatively cheap fix and it worked great for me!

If you're going to pull the windows, I'm lost!
John Clayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 03:24 PM   #6

Trailer: Boler 1300 1973
Registry
Try this one, got very good results: Pro Flex RV
Old 05-07-2010, 10:48 PM   #7

Trailer: 84 Burro 13 ft
Pamela, I too have an 84 Burro. The first thing I did when I got it was to seal the windows, starting with the worst first. On the inside is an aluminum retainer ring with screws every few inches. Going around the rim, loosen the screws a little at a time, continue around until all are loose. By doing a little at a time you don't put too much pressure on the remaining screws and bend the aluminum. If possible have a helper catch the window on the outside. If no helper is available, open the window and hold with your arm so the window doesn't crash to the ground. While the window is out, clean it thoroughly, including the weep holes in the outer bottom which often retain water if dirty and cause the water to enter the trailer. Scrape off the old butyl and silicon. I cleaned mine in my kitchen sink.
Then clean the area around where you removed the windows. This takes time and patience. There are many threads on this site explaining what people used for cleaning off old butyl and silicone. When replacing the windows use butyl rubber tape around the exterior, this gives you a good watertight seal. You can buy the butyl tape at any RV store or online. After you tighten the screws,( again tighten a little at a time, working your way around the window) you will find that the butyl rubber has squeezed out around the window, especially if done on a warm day. Carefully trim the excess butyl without scoring the fiberglass. Donna recommends using a plastic knife. At this point you should not have any leaks around the window, however, the interior seals may leak during a blowing rain. Even this should be minimal if you have cleared the weep holes.
While you're in the mood you may want to check the overhead vent for leaks. Use the same butyl and the same proceedure to reseat the vent . Avoid silicone. Good luck and enjoy your new Burro. rb
Rusty01 is offline   Reply With Quote